Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default OT Advice requested about disposal of Amateur radio gear

This is not an ad* so please bear with me and the usual reasons for the
OT posting here, being that it's one of the few groups I know of with
sensible people still populating it.

Following untimely passing of Brother in law, 49
I have been asked by his widow if I could help her in disposing of some
of the accumulated items. Now given I know about as much about Ham gear
as her I don't know where to start and advice would be welcomed.

There are a couple of communication transceivers (Yaesu and Icom) that
should have some value that she would like (read needs) to sell along
with a few other items (the rest of it is likely to be pretty low value
CB type stuff and I guess most of that could go on freecycle or similar).

Ebay would not be a first choice, but I guess it is the default answer
unless better suggestions present themselves.
Thanks

Lee

*Email address is *not* valid and I don't have any model numbers to hand
yet any way.

PS
Was licensed, but it's been a fair old while since he was on air so I
don't think there's likely to be any club connections or similar. If
there's any interest I can try to get hold of his handle - neither of us
know it without digging through paperwork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 13/04/2015 10:59, Huge wrote:
snip

Failing that, see if you can get in touch with your local radio society,
who may be able to help. A Google for "{whereyoulive} radio society" will
likely find it, or the RSGB may be able to help.

snip

Thanks for that, just checked and there is indeed a local club that is
still active. I will approach them and see if they can help.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 10:48, Lee wrote:
[...]

Your best bet might be with a local club if such still exists since they
would know the value of the kit and be likely to give a fair price (once
you know model nos check on eBay to avoid expensive mistakes).

Worth checking contact numbers for their secretary if you can find them.

Another advantage is that they might well give you a job lot price for
the miscellaneous random bits and pieces like PSUs and test gear.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lee
writes
On 13/04/2015 10:59, Huge wrote:
snip

Failing that, see if you can get in touch with your local radio society,
who may be able to help. A Google for "{whereyoulive} radio society" will
likely find it, or the RSGB may be able to help.

snip

Thanks for that, just checked and there is indeed a local club that is
still active. I will approach them and see if they can help.

Before you do, take a note of makes and model numbers, and search to see
if you can find any others for sale. That may give you an indication of
value and possible selling places.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I'm sure you will get suggestions about companies who buy second hand
gear etc in the ham fraternity, then there are the radio clubs who might
have an in house magazine which can publish adverts. It might be wise to
enter in the part numbers of the known to be good items and look for what
they are worth though. You might be surprised, some are ought after while
others two a penny.
Also test gear if in working order is often worth more than you think.
The only people as a company I've ever done business with are martin Lynch.
Not sure of spelling here, but mostly you can get more on a private sale of
course.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and is a call sign, not a handle.
Very few people still use cb gear unless its modified to work on the 10
metre band, so beware of modified items when selling.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 13/04/2015 10:48, Lee wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 April 2015 10:49:17 UTC+1, Lee wrote:

Following untimely passing of Brother in law, 49
I have been asked by his widow if I could help her in disposing of some
of the accumulated items. Now given I know about as much about Ham gear
as her I don't know where to start and advice would be welcomed.

I'd look up model numbers on ebay, which is also a logical place to sell, once you know what it is. Posting good clear details pics somewhere, eg tinypic, should help us and others ID some of the other kit. You're not going to know what's working unless you can find someone knowledgeable to assist in checking items out. Working or not has a big effect on sale price of course, in most cases. Maybe a local ham group could help.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 April 2015 10:49:17 UTC+1, Lee wrote:
Following untimely passing of Brother in law, 49
I have been asked by his widow if I could help her in disposing of some
of the accumulated items. Now given I know about as much about Ham gear
as her I don't know where to start and advice would be welcomed.

If it's older stuff then
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php
allow for sale ads

Allowing collection from one of the various fairs can encourage buyers who don't want to pay postage on low-value items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:48:51 +0100, Lee
wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear that your Brother in Law is Silent Key* especially at
such a young age.

I too think the local radio club will help.

* From the telegraphic procedural signal
__
SK signifying the end of a contact.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Allowing collection from one of the various fairs can encourage buyers who
don't want to pay postage on low-value items.

You could take a table at one as a 'radio car boot sale':

http://www.g4rga.org.uk/All.html
http://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/

Though obviously it'll help to have things priced up in advance.

Maybe ebay the major kit and then radio rally the minor bits or those
infeasible to post?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:48:51 +0100, Lee wrote:

This is not an ad* so please bear with me and the usual reasons for the
OT posting here, being that it's one of the few groups I know of with
sensible people still populating it.

Following untimely passing of Brother in law, 49
I have been asked by his widow if I could help her in disposing of some
of the accumulated items. Now given I know about as much about Ham gear
as her I don't know where to start and advice would be welcomed.

snip

If there are odd bits left over that you need to clear, after selling the
good stuff of course, your local radio society would probably appreciate
them. Very often these clubs are run on a shoestring and make some of
their funds by selling off oddities at radio rallies. It's not a lot of
income, but every little helps.

There are still quite a few dealers that handle amateur radio equipment.
You'd probably get a fair price off them, but not as much as you might
make in a private sale. After all, the dealer has a living to make.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:25:06 +0100, Lee wrote:

Thanks for that, just checked and there is indeed a local club that is
still active. I will approach them and see if they can help.

The local club will be helpful and hopefully someone can check the
equipment over and as has been said eBay is probably your best bet. You
can also sell through Martin Lynch (one the main sellers of amateur radio
equiment). They provide a free service at www.lynchline.com/ . I've not
attachment to Martyn Lynch - just a satified customer :-)

Charlie.
M0WYM

--
www.votenationalbird.com/