Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best ways to make external steelwork rust-proof?

Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so that
it will be best protected an resistant to rusting? I would use galvanised
steel, except that I already have a bunch of suitably sized (ungalvanised)
steel beams, so I'm thinking of using thise. The beams are not badly
rusted. In fact much of the orginal grey promer is still in place, even
though the steel has been sitting in my outhouse for over 25 years.

I livenear the sea so the air is particularly salty here and things do tend
to rust badly if not suitably protected.

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Getting it galvanised is the way to go. Look for any local firm doing it I do not think it is that expensive. I had a metal gate frame made up by a local small railing manufacturer. It was galvanised after fabrication and although I cannot remember the figures now I do remember at the time that the galvanising did not add much to the cost.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Getting it galvanised is the way to go. Look for any local firm doing
it I do not think it is that expensive. I had a metal gate frame made
up by a local small railing manufacturer. It was galvanised after
fabrication and although I cannot remember the figures now I do
remember at the time that the galvanising did not add much to the
cost.

About 5 years ago it was a £1000/tonne to get things galv'd and the
price was only going up at the time (scarcity of zinc IIRC.)

@OP, check out powder coating. Long lasting, tough and, cheaper than galv.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/15 19:14, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Getting it

hot dipped

galvanised is the way to go. Look for any local firm doing it I do
not think it is that expensive. I had a metal gate frame made up by a
local small railing manufacturer. It was galvanised after fabrication
and although I cannot remember the figures now I do remember at the
time that the galvanising did not add much to the cost.

- as opposed to painted on or electroplated. When you think of
galvanised iron, it's the hot dipped variety and it does last forever...

But it's worth knowing that's what you are supposed to ask for because I
dare say there are plenty of rip off merchants out there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 April 2015 19:33:10 UTC+2, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so
that it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

[snip]

Make it out of stainless steel or aluminium.

I live near the sea so the air is particularly salty here

[snip]

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/15 21:38, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 19:33:10 UTC+2, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so
that it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

[snip]

Make it out of stainless steel or aluminium.

I live near the sea so the air is particularly salty here

[snip]

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

very badly indeed. It destroys it faster than steel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

very badly indeed. It destroys it faster than steel

Actually, it does quite well:

This is almost thirty years old:
http://www.morganscloud.com/about/morgans-cloud/

And these have been producing ocean-going yachts for years.
http://www.alubat.com/?lang=en

And these produce expedition yachts, that is yachts that spend weeks
at a time heeled to the wind with the aluminium top-sides immersed in
the briney, they're not designed to sit on their bottom paint as a
marina caravan.
http://www.boreal-yachts.com

And these people have circumnavigated their own designed aluminium
boats for decades:
http://www.setsail.com

All, apart from Morgans Cloud (the first link) are bare, untreated
aluminium.

Stainless does fine in a salt environment too providing it's not in
contact with dis-similar metals when galvanic corrosion can become a
serious problem very quickly.

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so that
it will be best protected an resistant to rusting? I would use galvanised
steel, except that I already have a bunch of suitably sized (ungalvanised)
steel beams, so I'm thinking of using thise. The beams are not badly
rusted. In fact much of the orginal grey promer is still in place, even
though the steel has been sitting in my outhouse for over 25 years.

Galv is the way to go, but you would have to get the steel completely
clean. Powder coating is a poor substitute.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

very badly indeed. It destroys it faster than steel

Actually, it does quite well:

This is almost thirty years old:
http://www.morganscloud.com/about/morgans-cloud/

It does well IF and only IF you can eliminate all possibility of
galvanic corrosion.

That's a matter of design and build discipline.

http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/desig...on-resistance/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 01:30, Bill Wright wrote:

Galv is the way to go, but you would have to get the steel completely
clean. Powder coating is a poor substitute.

But make sure that you drill all the (oversize) fixing holes first or
they will become the weak point in the protection regime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 01:30, Bill Wright wrote:

but you would have to get the steel completely
clean.

Would not the company galvanising do that in a bath of acid? I watched
a day-time TV program where someone had made some (crap) furniture from
scrap metal parts (two fire extinguishers and a water tank) and had the
whole lot hot dipped galvanised after a dip in acid to get rid of the
rust and old paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2015 21:38, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 19:33:10 UTC+2, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so
that it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

[snip]

Make it out of stainless steel or aluminium.

I live near the sea so the air is particularly salty here

[snip]

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless.

316 stainless steel in commonly used in marine fittings, but it is an
expensive option.

How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

Badly, unless at least as well protected as steel needs to be.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-11, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so that
it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

POR15

+1.

I used that on an old corrugated iron garage and it was incredibly
effective.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2015 18:33, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so that
it will be best protected an resistant to rusting? I would use galvanised
steel, except that I already have a bunch of suitably sized (ungalvanised)
steel beams, so I'm thinking of using thise. The beams are not badly
rusted. In fact much of the orginal grey promer is still in place, even
though the steel has been sitting in my outhouse for over 25 years.

I livenear the sea so the air is particularly salty here and things do tend
to rust badly if not suitably protected.

Many thanks,

Al

Will the steel structure actually be exposed to rain, or will it be
protected by plastic/wood/etc. cladding of some kind?

In my limited experience, painted (but ungalvanised) steel beams last
quite well if they rarely encounter liquid water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 12/04/2015 01:30, Bill Wright wrote:

but you would have to get the steel completely
clean.

Would not the company galvanising do that in a bath of acid? I watched
a day-time TV program where someone had made some (crap) furniture from
scrap metal parts (two fire extinguishers and a water tank) and had the
whole lot hot dipped galvanised after a dip in acid to get rid of the
rust and old paint.

Yes and this structure was done around 1958 and its still fine after all
that time:

Enjoy, about 4:30 in...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/861
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LumpHammer" wrote in message
On 11/04/2015 18:33, AL_n wrote:
[...]

I've found that painted and ungalvanised steel works fine even
when they do get wet whenever it rains. I did both my gates
that way, using rhs, and they haven't rusted in 40 years now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:13:23 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

I've found that painted and ungalvanised steel works fine even when they
do get wet whenever it rains. I did both my gates that way, using rhs,
and they haven't rusted in 40 years now.

What's rhs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:13:23 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

I've found that painted and ungalvanised steel works fine even when they
do get wet whenever it rains. I did both my gates that way, using rhs,
and they haven't rusted in 40 years now.

What's rhs?

rectangular hollow section, square or rectangular steel in this case tube.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_structural_section

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 23:03:00 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:13:23 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

I've found that painted and ungalvanised steel works fine even when they
do get wet whenever it rains. I did both my gates that way, using rhs,
and they haven't rusted in 40 years now.

What's rhs?

Royal Horticultural Society?

Maybe something composed of Waxoyl and Irn Bru but it tastes of chicken?

It's Wodney, it could be anything
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2015 21:38, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 19:33:10 UTC+2, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so
that it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

[snip]

Make it out of stainless steel or aluminium.

Right grade of chloride resistant stainless will be OK but you do have
to get it right! Hell to work with stainless steel for DIY though.

A serious mistake was once made with a reaction vessel for a once
household name UK chemical industry player. Their original specification
said that there was no need for chloride resistant steel - unfortunately
they were wrong and it dissolved away in no time flat.

I live near the sea so the air is particularly salty here

[snip]

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

Badly. Aluminium chloride is acidic, forms fairly easily is deliquescent
and will take the protective oxide coat off the bare metal.

Zinc chromate primer would be one choice that might hold up on mild
steel but in a chloride rich environment steel almost always rusts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:57:16 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname

On 2015-04-11, AL_n wrote:
Hi All,

I want to build a structure onto my house made of heavy-duty angle iron.
What is the most maintenance-free way of treating or painting steel so that
it will be best protected an resistant to rusting?

POR15

+1.

I used that on an old corrugated iron garage and it was incredibly
effective.

-1

Used it numerous times on various substrates both rusted and new using grit
blasting/bead basting and their metal prep beforehand and would not use it
again. One or two pin prick holes from road debris , a bit of road salt and the
stuff can be picked off in flakes or sheets. The clear stuff yellows even when
not in direct sunlight, hidden behind a wheel and a brake disc, not to worry
it'll soon be falling off.

Getting accidental splashes off skin or other surfaces is impossible and the
'replacing the lid on the opened can and then removing it few days/weeks/months
later' problem is a real PITA

If it were as good as the claims it would be used on major bits of
infrastructure, bridges, trains, pylons etc. It isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-11, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In that case I'm not sure I'd trust stainless. How does ally react to
damp salty conditions?

very badly indeed. It destroys it faster than steel

Actually, it does quite well:

And these have been producing ocean-going yachts for years.
http://www.alubat.com/?lang=en

Can vouch for Alubat, our Ovni 43 has been around for well over 20 years and
corrosion (touch anode) has never been an issue. I've seen more 'corrosion' on
a tupperware boat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

LumpHammer wrote in news:552a4536$0$3714
:

Will the steel structure actually be exposed to rain, or will it be
protected by plastic/wood/etc. cladding of some kind

It would be difficult to protect the structure from rainwater. It might
however, be possible to make it all out-of-sight, say by encasing the
girders in upvc.. (Not easy, but just about doable. But probably cheaper
than galvanizing). I'm just a bit concerned that where the angle-section
steel will project from the painted wall of the house, there would be a
constant rust stain projecting downwards that would constantly need
painting-over. But perhaps that's a price worth paying to avoid the cost of
galvanizing.

Many thanks to all for the other advice here.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-12, tony sayer wrote:
In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 12/04/2015 01:30, Bill Wright wrote:

but you would have to get the steel completely
clean.

Would not the company galvanising do that in a bath of acid? I watched
a day-time TV program where someone had made some (crap) furniture from
scrap metal parts (two fire extinguishers and a water tank) and had the
whole lot hot dipped galvanised after a dip in acid to get rid of the
rust and old paint.

Yes and this structure was done around 1958 and its still fine after all
that time:

Enjoy, about 4:30 in...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/861

Fascinating. H&S would do their nut at just about every aspect of
this construction job!

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2015 23:36, Justin C wrote:
All, apart from Morgans Cloud (the first link) are bare, untreated
aluminium.

They'll be an alloy of some sort of course...

Stainless does fine in a salt environment too providing it's not in
contact with dis-similar metals when galvanic corrosion can become a
serious problem very quickly.

Usually between the stainless fittings and the alloy mast... DAMHIK

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 7:29:30 AM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 12/04/2015 01:30, Bill Wright wrote:

Galv is the way to go, but you would have to get the steel completely
clean. Powder coating is a poor substitute.

But make sure that you drill all the (oversize) fixing holes first or
they will become the weak point in the protection regime.

And make sure there are no enclosed compartments. Hot dip galvanising is charged by weight so having quantities of it trapped in an enclosed compartment can prove expensive.