Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No Pressure for Mono Block Tap kitchen Mixer

Wife and motherinlaw bought a Franke sink and Monoblock Mixer for me to fit in the mother inlaws kitchen ground floor flat.
So new worktops, units redistributed and new hob and sink in.

All was going great until I finished the lot. Cold water is from mains at about 2 bar happy days it has lots of pressure.

New the problem, the mixer tap needs 0.5 bar, did not notice that and the hot water tank is beside the kitchen with the storage tank 10mm above the hot water cylinder so the pressure must be about 0.05 bar. The hoses to the monoblock have little non return valve.

There is just a drip coming out the mixer when the hot is turned on. In the bathrom which has old fashioned taps the hot water would fill a glass in say 15 seconds so litte pressure.

She has an elctric shower so does not need hot water for that.

Options for the mixer tap comments please.

Put a 3kw instant heater in the cupbord below the sink fed by the cold tap feed that is 15mm. I assume again very little flow as it is being heated.

Put in a booster pump to feed the hot water tank say 1.5 bar but they tend to need 0.6 ltrs/min flow from the tap to start up and the flow from the mixer is nowhere near that.

A solution from the panel.

Comments please.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

Use the correct type of mixer that is largely independent of pressure.
Essentially two taps and mixer tube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2015 20:26, Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

Depends on how much you/she is prepared to spend.

The cheapest solution is probably to replace the tap with one which
doesn't mind the pressure imbalance.

If you've got a few bob to spare you could put a Quooker boiling water
heater under the sink. That holds 7 litres of super-heated water, and
feeds hot water to the hot tap at mains pressure via a blending valve
which blends boiling with cold to produce hot. The 7 litre container is
a stainless steel vacuum flask which has very low (claimed) heat losses,
and incoming cold water gets heated quite quickly by a 3kW heater after
you have used some hot.

It also enables you to have a separate boiling water tap which can
provide instant boiling water for tea or coffee, doing away with the
need for a kettle.

We've had one for a couple of years and are very pleased with it. In our
case the motivation was that the new kitchen is a very long way from the
hot cylinder in the airing cupboard, so we had to run the tap for a long
time to get hot water. Now, it comes straight away.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Only works with soft water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2015 22:16, Capitol wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Well, our water is hard and our Quooker's still working . . .
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 8:26:57 PM UTC+1, Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

Agreed Bob and I should have checked before fitting and said it would not work but the sink is also a monoblock type sink. I do not want to redo the whole thing.
I am wondering if there is any way to use it as the mother in law likes the tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

Why do you lot persist with gravity tanks? almost no one does here
except for existing ones
Or if you live where there is no town water
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

A lot less to go wrong with a gravity system.
And often a faster bath fill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

BULL****. There is no tank or float valve with a mains pressure system,
stupid.

And often a faster bath fill.

BULL****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"harryagain" wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

There are pressure reducing valves, expansion tank, and safety/pressure
relief valve in mains sytems ****-fer-brains.

And often a faster bath fill.

BULL****.

Depends on the size/condition of your incoming water pipe moron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"harryagain" wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

Nope, none of those in mine.

expansion tank,

Nope, none of those in mine.

and safety/pressure relief valve in mains sytems

Never had to replace even one in 70 years, stupid.

And often a faster bath fill.

BULL****.

Depends on the size/condition of your incoming water pipe

Nope, any normal incoming pipe delivers it faster with mains pressure, fool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"harryagain" wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

You lot seem to go in for lots of complications, maybe because it is a
cold country with other heating considerations.
We have a mains pressure water heater which consists of one tank with
heating elements,a thermostat to control the elements one pressure
safety relief valve to release water in the case of over pressure, a non
return valve in the supply line and that is it, unless the supplied main
pressure is too high then we put a regulator in the supply pipe
No expansion tanks no pumps no header tanks etc
The water flow to the bath, depending on pipe size comes through at
mains pressure,hot or cold (unless you have a reducer before the heater
because of higher than normal supply pressure).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drumtochty wrote:
[...]

My last house was converted from gravity to direct when we installed central
heating with a combi boiler. Big mistake! Slow filling bath, poor shower,
condensation on cisterns and no stored water when we had supply cuts.

Current house has a loft tank that supplies a big hot water cylinder and
toilet cisterns. Fast filling bath, no condensation on cisterns, and limited
supply for flushing when water supply is cut. Plus back to a pumped shower
gives fantastic showers. I actually re-installed the pump that we had to
take out of the last house when the combi went in!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Drumtochty" wrote in message
[...]

With pressure so low, I don't think any mixer tap will work, most have only
10 or 12mm pipe.
Also they need water pressures (H&C) to be comparitble.

I think you'll need saparate conventional taps & even with 15mm pipe it will
be slow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy's I understand I should have checked before fitting but that is water under the bridge, the lady is 89 and wants that tap to work.

I have a direct system at home and do not use a combi boiler and it fills a bath or does a great shower. The guy who wants to fill a bath needs a normal boiler and an unvented hot water cylinder. Not a combi as they only flow about 7 litres a minute my system does 15 litres a minute

At the moment an undersink water heater for the kitchen sink will be acceptable to the lady and she is the person to be made happy.

Any other commenst re a booster pump.

As always thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just off the phone to Stewart Turner Pumps.

The have a single impellor version of the Monsoon that has a little pressure vessel that starts the pump and can be easily primed buy just flowing the hose ito a bucket and then closing the isolating valve. That keeps the presure vessel charged.

In the case of this installation turning on the normal hot tap in the bathroom will have the same effect. Therefore she will get 1.5 to 2 bar at the kitchen mixer, that is similar to the cold supply.

Easily fitted in these circumstances.

Again thanks for comments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Have you considered an under-sink heater? One that has a reservoir of 10
litres or so?

They are generally well insulated and give you instant hot water, and
are sufficient to fill a sink.

The only faff is a power supply, a non return valve and some require an
over pressure valve.

I have one, and its 1/2 second before I get hot water at a temperature
of my choice.

Hot water pressure for kitchen mixer snj UK diy 3 March 2nd 08 07:01 PM
Mono mixer tap and mains and gravity water David Hearn UK diy 4 March 9th 06 11:17 AM
Leaking mono mixer tap Catriona UK diy 4 January 10th 06 06:26 PM
Leaking Mono Mixer Tap Catriona Home Repair 2 January 10th 06 01:35 PM
Boosting hot water pressure (was "Kitchen Mixer Tap with hose") Rob Graham UK diy 4 March 10th 04 05:02 PM