Junior Member

Question Leaking mono mixer tap

The mono mixer tap in our kitchen is leaking and I think it may only be a washer that needs replacing however I have no idea how to remove anything to find out the problem as there are no visible screws or nuts. Please help!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Leaking mono mixer tap

Catriona wrote:
The mono mixer tap in our kitchen is leaking and I think it may only be
a washer that needs replacing however I have no idea how to remove
anything to find out the problem as there are no visible screws or
nuts. Please help!

For a start, is it a newfangled quarter-turn lever tap or a conventional
one?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Catriona wrote:

The mono mixer tap in our kitchen is leaking and I think it may only
be a washer that needs replacing however I have no idea how to remove
anything to find out the problem as there are no visible screws or
nuts. Please help!

Exactly where is the water leaking out? Possibilities include:
* from the spout even when both taps are turned off fully
* from the base of the spout when the taps are turned on
* from round the tap handles/spindles

Which is it? What make of tap is it? What type of innards has it got -
ceramic or conventional washer? [Clue: How much do the handles have to turn
to turn the water on and off?]
Any chance of a picture?

If you need to get at the innards, most come apart like this:
* Prise out the little red or blue plastic disk at the end of the handle
* Remove the screw thus revealed
* Pull the handle off
* Unscrew the gubbins with a spanner - having first turned off the water
supply
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Jennings

Set Square wrote:
If you need to get at the innards, most come apart like this:
* Prise out the little red or blue plastic disk at the end of the handle
* Remove the screw thus revealed
* Pull the handle off
* Unscrew the gubbins with a spanner - having first turned off the water
supply

Sorry to hijack, I was actually about to post an almost identical post
myself!

So do most mono mixers actually attach at the base, but ON TOP of the
work surface? I ask as I'd been looking at mine last night, as there is
a leak seemingly from the base of the mixer block where it joins the
sink, but couldn't see any attachments under the work surface.

Again, sorry if this seems like hijacking but we sem to have an
identical problem!

Best regards,
Dave
--
Dave Jennings

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Dave Jennings wrote:

So do most mono mixers actually attach at the base, but ON TOP of the
work surface? I ask as I'd been looking at mine last night, as there
is a leak seemingly from the base of the mixer block where it joins
the sink, but couldn't see any attachments under the work surface.

I don't know whether all taps are the same, but mine is like this:
http://www.south-services.com/franke/davos-z.shtml

The base sits on the sinktop, with a rubber washer under it. The hot and
cold supply tails come up through a hole in the sinktop, and screw into the
bottom of the base, sealed by O-rings. Also screwing into the bottom of the
base is a threaded bar. Under the sinktop, a hefty C-shaped washer with an
offset hole fits over this threaded bar and there is a long nut which holds
everything together.

If water is getting under the sinktop, it could be that the rubber washer
under the base isn't sealing, so that any water being sloshed about finds
its way through the hole, or it could be that one of the tails isn't screwed
firmly enough into the base.

Another place where these things frquently leak is where the swivel spout
fits into the base. There are 2 O-rings inside that joint which can become
worn.
--
Cheers,
Set Square