Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Leaking mono mixer tap

Dave Jennings wrote:

So do most mono mixers actually attach at the base, but ON TOP of the
work surface? I ask as I'd been looking at mine last night, as there
is a leak seemingly from the base of the mixer block where it joins
the sink, but couldn't see any attachments under the work surface.

I don't know whether all taps are the same, but mine is like this:
http://www.south-services.com/franke/davos-z.shtml

The base sits on the sinktop, with a rubber washer under it. The hot and
cold supply tails come up through a hole in the sinktop, and screw into the
bottom of the base, sealed by O-rings. Also screwing into the bottom of the
base is a threaded bar. Under the sinktop, a hefty C-shaped washer with an
offset hole fits over this threaded bar and there is a long nut which holds
everything together.

If water is getting under the sinktop, it could be that the rubber washer
under the base isn't sealing, so that any water being sloshed about finds
its way through the hole, or it could be that one of the tails isn't screwed
firmly enough into the base.

Another place where these things frquently leak is where the swivel spout
fits into the base. There are 2 O-rings inside that joint which can become
worn.
--
Cheers,
Set Square