Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Are energy-saving light bulbs now a thing of the past already?

Several years ago, when bulbs exactly like this one
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...01_228x355.jpg
were introduced, various shops, Sainsbury's in particular, ran
promotions to buy them for 50 pence each. I bought about a dozen.

Now I've used my last one, so I started looking around for replacement
bulbs. To my utter astonishment, not a single shop in Spalding sold
them! They had plenty of LED bulbs and they also had plenty of the
so-called "old-fashioned" filament bulbs, which I thought had been
banned. But the low wattage (11W = 60W) energy-saver bayonet bulbs
were unobtainable anywhere.

Even when I look on Amazon they are few and far between and cost over
£2 each.

So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs? What the heck are people
putting in their lamp sockets?!!

puzzled look

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

In theory, you should not need to replace low energy bulbs for many
years. Unfortunately, the more recent products have a very short
lifespan IME. I still have 30yr old low energy lamps running, a bit dim
I suppose, but not failing catastrophically. The 5p lamps were a
taxpayer funded giveaway which has expired. you might get a better price
in Poundland. I recently have been looking for new lamp fittings and I
have found that most of them are now apparently made for halogen lamps.
Bayonet,ES and SES light fittings seem to be in short supply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:13:59 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Yep, it's weird the way the government and retailers pushed them onto
consumers with really low prices and now they've disappeared. I'll try
Poundstretcher in Spalding next week. Not an urgent problem as I can
get filament bulbs easily and still have at least a dozen Status brand
60W ones.

One advantage of the energy-saver ones is that they don't trigger the
circuit breakers when the bulb goes like nearly always happens with
filament bulbs. Most irritating on a winter's night when you enter a
room, switch on the light and bingo! Bulb "pops", lighting circuit on
that floor goes dead and you have to scrabble around in the garage to
get to the consumer unit to flick the switch back up.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

In which case you may not have the correct breakers ... I vaguely recall
you can get "slow blow" breakers ...giyf

Type C rather than Type B - but the requirements on low circuit
impedance are more onerous which means it's not a suitable swap unless
you test your circuits (R1+R2 aka L-E loop test) first and also factor
in your primary earthing system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

In which case you may not have the correct breakers ... I vaguely recall
you can get "slow blow" breakers ...giyf

Type C rather than Type B - but the requirements on low circuit impedance
are more onerous which means it's not a suitable swap unless you test your
circuits (R1+R2 aka L-E loop test) first and also factor in your primary
earthing system.

And most unlikely IMHO to actually make much difference when a lamp blows.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Tx - I just remember the first time we had a bulb blow after I upgraded
our fusebox to MCBs. I reset the thing, and then wondered why it had
blown. Of course for the briefest of seconds there's an arc across the
filament, which has a resistance close to zero - I=V/R becomes close to
infinite ...

The arc is in series with the filiment.

It's the same reason you need ballasts for discharge lighting, I believe.

The ballast provides the high voltage "bump" to initiate the tube.
And thence limits the current as the ionised gas has very low resistance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 14:37, harryagain wrote:
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:15:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Type C rather than Type B - but the requirements on low circuit
impedance are more onerous which means it's not a suitable swap unless
you test your circuits (R1+R2 aka L-E loop test) first and also factor
in your primary earthing system.

Tx - I just remember the first time we had a bulb blow after I upgraded
our fusebox to MCBs. I reset the thing, and then wondered why it had
blown. Of course for the briefest of seconds there's an arc across the
filament, which has a resistance close to zero - I=V/R becomes close to
infinite ...

The arc is in series with the filiment.

One arc is, but if the plasma from that arc bridges the feed wires to
the filament then you get a huge pulse of current. It is most often a
problem with spotlights where the rising hot plasma from the initial
small arc almost invariably does short out the mains for a moment.

Filament spotlamps are generally fused for this reason but a mains
circuit breaker is often quicker and takes the lighting circuit out. LED
spotlamps are much better in this regard.

It's the same reason you need ballasts for discharge lighting, I believe.

The ballast provides the high voltage "bump" to initiate the tube.
And thence limits the current as the ionised gas has very low resistance.

The starter uses the ballast to create the initial ionisation but once
it is conducting a gas discharge tube has a negative effective dynamic
resistance with current rising with decreasing voltage and it would self
destruct if there wasn't a ballast to keep the current within safe
working limits.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 11:13, Capitol wrote:

The 5p lamps were a
taxpayer funded giveaway which has expired.

You have actually paid £500 for those bulbs in the past 5/10years. It's
the stealth tax added on to your energy utility bills. Currently you
are paying around £100/annum to subsidise those with electricity
generating solar panels on their roofs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
MM wrote:
[...]

My experience is the same.
LEDs are the one to go for now.
I have them in the rooms most used.
Better than CFL by far.
I use the remaining CFLs in rooms not much used.
I bought apile of the 5p lamps & still have some.
I don't have any incandescent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:55:16 +0000, MM wrote:

Several years ago, when bulbs exactly like this one
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...01_228x355.jpg
were introduced, various shops, Sainsbury's in particular, ran
promotions to buy them for 50 pence each. I bought about a dozen.

Now I've used my last one, so I started looking around for replacement
bulbs. To my utter astonishment, not a single shop in Spalding sold
them! They had plenty of LED bulbs and they also had plenty of the
so-called "old-fashioned" filament bulbs, which I thought had been
banned. But the low wattage (11W = 60W) energy-saver bayonet bulbs
were unobtainable anywhere.

Even when I look on Amazon they are few and far between and cost over
£2 each.

So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs? What the heck are people
putting in their lamp sockets?!!

I find I seem to be replacing CFLs about every eighteen months or so -
which is much shorter than the expected life but long enough to pay
for themselves against filament bulbs many times over.

The pound shops sometimes stock them - Phillips brand in one of ours -
but they don't always have the bases I require. I bought a load of E14
ones when they had them but now I want E14s all they have are standard
bayonet.

Wilco's own brand CFLs seem to be okay but the pricing structure seems
weird. If you are not in a hurry then they sometimes have pretty good
promotions on things like that and it makes it worth stocking up at
those times.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:55:16 +0000, MM wrote:

So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs?

Well I am.

What the heck are people
putting in their lamp sockets?!!

LED (General purpose) bulbs, I get mine on-line from CPC-Farnell
usually when I'm already buying something else.

Just put some standard bulbs to replace RO80 in the kitchen. ES
fitting. Much nicer. The silly "fluorescent" type bulb in the lounge
now has a 10w white LED and I can read again - instant startup,
similarly in the bathroom. Maybe a bit too bluish white but you can
get warmer white which I have elsewhere.

puzzled look

Puzzled at puzzled look.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 22:22:46 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Capitol
wrote:

No, it's fashion. Putting low energy bulbs in ceiling mounted holders
gives crap lighting. So use halogen instead.

Took out the halogen, put in CFL (these are 8 or so GU10s in the
kitchen ceiling). OK except took too long to warm up & give light, but
reduced power from 270W to less than 100W. As SWMBO was complaining
about time to give decent light, replaced them all with LED at 4W each.
So down to 32W and instant light. By choosing the wider angle (120deg)
dispersion, no dark spots in kitchen. So **** to halogen, is the short
answer.

What did the 4W LEDs cost each? So's I get some kind of ballpark here.

Currently the kitchen, landing, bathroom, hall and downstairs loo have
GU10s with associated transformers. There are 28 of 'em.

- How much (rough estimate) to replace all with LEDs?

- Do I retain the transformers, or does LED use a different
technology?

- Will the GU10 sockets take LEDs?

- What would be the cost saving in terms of electricity over a year?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Freeman wrote:
MM wrote:
But there must be hundreds of thousands of homes with bulbs blowing
all the time, whether the old filament type or the CFL type. I reckon
most are still using the filament type, which are far easier to
obtain, still.

I don't think I've owned any filament bulbs since I moved house about 25
years ago and fitted CFLs throughout at the new place. Even though they
were much more expensive then (about a tenner each), and electricity much
cheaper, I'd worked out that each bulb would save its purchase price a
number of times over during its lifetime so it was a no brainer to switch
to them. I was always amazed that people kept buying the old style bulbs
(except where it was neceassry for use with a dimmer or something).

Because the difference isn't worth bothering about when compared with
one's energy costs overall maybe?

So I spend £100 on energy saving bulbs and save say, half that much,
over their lifetime. Wow, I've saved £20/year or maybe a bit more.

Life's too short.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:15:46 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Freeman
wrote:

MM wrote:
But there must be hundreds of thousands of homes with bulbs blowing
all the time, whether the old filament type or the CFL type. I reckon
most are still using the filament type, which are far easier to
obtain, still.

I don't think I've owned any filament bulbs since I moved house about 25
years ago and fitted CFLs throughout at the new place. Even though they
were much more expensive then (about a tenner each), and electricity much
cheaper, I'd worked out that each bulb would save its purchase price a
number of times over during its lifetime so it was a no brainer to switch
to them. I was always amazed that people kept buying the old style bulbs
(except where it was neceassry for use with a dimmer or something).

But CFL bulbs don't last anything like as long as people said they
would back when the promotions were on. I reckon that was about 6,
maybe 7, years ago and I've used ALL the dozen bulbs I bought back
then at 50p each. So most didn't last 6 years, and this is in bedrooms
that hardly get used.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 2015-03-25, Gordon Freeman wrote:

I was always amazed that people kept buying the old style bulbs
(except where it was neceassry for use with a dimmer or something).

Virtually every room light in my house has a dimmer.

Why on earth?

I've NEVER had a dimmer. What am I missing?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Because no one has explained WHY these bulbs, once all the rage, are
no longer available anywhere! Least, not around here.

Because the makers make much more out of selling new technology. It's new
therefore must be better. And therefore more expensive. Think drugs.

CFL were poorer in every respect to tungsten. Except energy consumption
for a given light level. And sometimes life.

LED have overcome some of the most disastrous flaws of CFL, but introduced
some more of their own.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"MM" wrote in message

puzzled look

Puzzled at puzzled look.

Because no one has explained WHY these bulbs, once all the rage, are
no longer available anywhere! Least, not around here.

Think flared trousers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
Several years ago, when bulbs exactly like this one
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...01_228x355.jpg
were introduced, various shops, Sainsbury's in particular, ran
promotions to buy them for 50 pence each. I bought about a dozen.

CFLs have been out evolved by high efficiency white LEDs with instant
start, higher efficiency, much brighter output and closer to decent CRI.

Now I've used my last one, so I started looking around for replacement
bulbs. To my utter astonishment, not a single shop in Spalding sold
them! They had plenty of LED bulbs and they also had plenty of the
so-called "old-fashioned" filament bulbs, which I thought had been
banned. But the low wattage (11W = 60W) energy-saver bayonet bulbs
were unobtainable anywhere.

Even when I look on Amazon they are few and far between and cost over
£2 each.

So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs? What the heck are people
putting in their lamp sockets?!!

puzzled look

LED lamps out perform the old CFLs so why not use them?

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:07:53 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
[...]

Because they cost a fortune!

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 14:17, MM wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 14:07:53 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Because they cost a fortune!

So did the CFLs when you purchased them. You may have paid 50p in the
shop but the other £10/£15 was paid for by the energy companies who in
turn just included it on your energy bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

LED lamps out perform the old CFLs so why not use them?

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

Indeed so. After replacing a couple of ageing CFLs with what
should have been equivalent LEDs, I've actually changed them to a
lower rating.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

LED lamps out perform the old CFLs so why not use them?

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

Indeed so. After replacing a couple of ageing CFLs with what
should have been equivalent LEDs, I've actually changed them to a
lower rating.

Chris

It's one of the major problems of LED - they tend to look a lot brighter
when looking directly at the lamp. But don't actually produce that light
level in the room.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Indeed so. After replacing a couple of ageing CFLs with what
should have been equivalent LEDs, I've actually changed them to a
lower rating.

It's one of the major problems of LED - they tend to look a lot brighter
when looking directly at the lamp. But don't actually produce that light
level in the room.

I can only say what I have experienced, which is higher room
light levels. Maybe my old CFLs were worse than yours. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

LED lamps out perform the old CFLs so why not use them?

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

Indeed so. After replacing a couple of ageing CFLs with what
should have been equivalent LEDs, I've actually changed them to a
lower rating.

Chris

It's one of the major problems of LED - they tend to look a lot brighter
when looking directly at the lamp. But don't actually produce that light
level in the room.

You should see the LED theatre lanterns I've got.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

LED lamps out perform the old CFLs so why not use them?

The only thing you have to watch out for is that their claimed
brightness is real and so a nominal 60W LED will be dazzling in a
position where an end of life "60W" CFL bulb has expired.

Indeed so. After replacing a couple of ageing CFLs with what
should have been equivalent LEDs, I've actually changed them to a
lower rating.

Chris

It's one of the major problems of LED - they tend to look a lot brighter
when looking directly at the lamp. But don't actually produce that light
level in the room.

Depends a lot on the light shade, the model of LED lamp and the room.

I put my first one ever in my parents bathroom because I didn't like the
*very* long time the aging and dim "60W" CFL took to come up to an
acceptable brightness. I didn't like the idea of them stumbling about in
the semi-dark.

I got a 60W LED warm white lamp and the light in the small space was
absolutely dazzling reflected off the tiled walls not direct. I got a
nominally 35W equivalent and it was perfect with instant on light.

LED lamps are more directional with most light going in the lower half
sphere away from the socket and comparatively little sideways. This can
make the walls and ceiling look dark in some rooms depending on the
nature of the lamp shade. Just underneath the fixture is over lit.

LED spotlamps are if anything slightly too directional now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I put my first one ever in my parents bathroom because I didn't like the
*very* long time the aging and dim "60W" CFL took to come up to an
acceptable brightness. I didn't like the idea of them stumbling about in
the semi-dark.

Why change from tungsten in the first place, then?

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:56:55 +0000, Martin Brown

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Yesterday I went back to Wilko's, armed with my new knowledge courtesy
of this thread, and saw these various lamps in a new light. So...
Wilko's own brand 60W 810 lumen LED bulb with bayonet fitting was £7.
The Philips equivalent on the next shelf was £8.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs?...

Where possible, yes, although I do have some luminaires, particularly
outdoors, that have CFL specific fittings.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs?...

Where possible, yes, although I do have some luminaires, particularly
outdoors, that have CFL specific fittings.

May I ask what sort of fittings they are? I thought there was an LED
equivalent for every fitting apart from certain downlights:-)

When my parents complained that one of their outside lights was not working
even after they had swapped the lamp it was cheaper (and a lot less hassle)
to replace the PL lamp with a LED PL lamp and bypass the faulty ballast than
replace the fitting.

http://www.ideallights.co.uk/corpora...20-%202012.pdf

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs?...

Where possible, yes, although I do have some luminaires, particularly
outdoors, that have CFL specific fittings.

May I ask what sort of fittings they are? I thought there was an LED
equivalent for every fitting apart from certain downlights:-)

Outdoors: bulkhead lamps each with 2 x G23 9W CFLs, floodlights with two
or four of the same. Indoors: downlighters each with 1 x G24 32W CFLs,
one of which, over the consumer unit, has an emergency light kit fitted.

When my parents complained that one of their outside lights was not
working even after they had swapped the lamp it was cheaper (and a lot
less hassle) to replace the PL lamp with a LED PL lamp and bypass the
faulty ballast than replace the fitting.

http://www.ideallights.co.uk/corpora...20-%202012.pdf

I have suitable lamps in my lighting spares stock and don't really
expect any problems buying more. If any of the lights need more than a
lamp replacement, I'll do what I did in my porch and simply replace the
whole unit with an LED version.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2015 10:55, MM wrote:
So is everyone now converting to LED bulbs?...

Where possible, yes, although I do have some luminaires, particularly
outdoors, that have CFL specific fittings.

May I ask what sort of fittings they are? I thought there was an LED
equivalent for every fitting apart from certain downlights:-)

When my parents complained that one of their outside lights was not working
even after they had swapped the lamp it was cheaper (and a lot less hassle)
to replace the PL lamp with a LED PL lamp and bypass the faulty ballast than
replace the fitting.

http://www.ideallights.co.uk/corpora...20-%202012.pdf

Interesting to note that what they thought of as "High Efficiency" (a
mere 71L/W) back in 2012. Oh how swiftly the LED technology of
yesteryear dates[1]. :-)

We can reasonably expect to see LEDs with 3 times greater
efficiencies in another 12 months or so ( 81L/W or better 'Bulbs' are
already on the shop shelves).

[1] The manufacturers, notably Cree, have already tested lab examples
of 303L/W lamps just over a year ago. Both they and Philips have been
quoted as claiming a Lab to shelf lead time of 18 to 24 months.

The theoretical limit, afaicr, is just over the 400L/W mark and that
Cree lab example is pretty close to that limit so, once the 200 to 300
L/W lamps get to market, there won't be any repeating of the 3 fold
improvement over the past two or three years since those "High
Efficiency" PLs were first advertised. In fact any further efficiency
improvements are unlikely to better another 25% _ever_
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many seem to be still using filament bulbs, but I'm sure I've still come
across the CFL types in places like DIY stores, but they seem to have gone
up to about a fiver each, which makes leds look more attractive I suppose. I
wonder if cfls were in fact heavily discounted before but now its the turn
of led?

Brian

Email:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Lots of CFLs in B&Q today.
Apart from lights that are used occasionally, my house is now LED or(2) T5
14W tubes. The CFLs are in a shed and the loft.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

May be you need one of these, the 30 watt one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301352999318