Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortar to look like lime mortar

I am going to put a brick porch on an old house.
I want the mortar to blend in with the lime mortar of the house.

I don't want to use the real M'Coy, just something that looks a similar
colour.

I propose to use white cement/lime/sand and am seeking advice on the ratios.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/15 13:19, mark wrote:
I am going to put a brick porch on an old house.
I want the mortar to blend in with the lime mortar of the house.

I don't want to use the real M'Coy, just something that looks a similar
colour.

I propose to use white cement/lime/sand and am seeking advice on the ratios.

mark

Ive used 50:50 white/lime and about 3 times as much sand as cement/lime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 1:19:01 PM UTC, mark wrote:

I am going to put a brick porch on an old house.
I want the mortar to blend in with the lime mortar of the house.

I don't want to use the real M'Coy, just something that looks a similar
colour.

I propose to use white cement/lime/sand and am seeking advice on the ratios.

mark

Why not use lime? It'll look the same, be the same and age the same. Only downside is you need to build slower, as it takes time to strengthen. For diy work that's usually quite practical. Don't forget to match the sand.

1:1:6 is the (white) cement option, how well it'll match... shrug.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"mark" writes:
I am going to put a brick porch on an old house.
I want the mortar to blend in with the lime mortar of the house.

I don't want to use the real M'Coy, just something that looks a similar
colour.

I propose to use white cement/lime/sand and am seeking advice on the ratios.

Do you need lime at all? Hopefully you aren't expecting your
new structure to move. If you do, the cement:lime ratio should
be 1:1 - many other ratios don't work.

The other thing is the sand - most builder's sand has loads of
iron oxide in it (which is what makes it yellow/orange) and it
will end up looking bright yellow through to dull orange regardless
of any white cement/line you use. You can get better washed sand
which is lighter in colour (silver sand), and you should look for
that. Don't use sandpit sand - it can be too rounded off to bind
well (to reduce scratching in eyes).

The sand originally used with lime mortar will not have been
graded as accurately as sand is today. To match it, you should
mix sharp sand with some finer sand (such as silver sand) to get
a broader particle size and shape. Sharp sand also tends to have
less iron oxide than builders sand, which will help avoid it being
yellow/orange.

The typical soft ratio for using with a lime mortar building
is 1:1:6 cement/lime/sand, but that is soft enough to eventually
allow things like moss growth. As this isn't repairing a lime
mortar building, I would go for something like 1:1:3 to 1:1:4, or
a no lime mix 1:0:4+plasticiser.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The other thing is the sand - most builder's sand has loads of
iron oxide in it (which is what makes it yellow/orange) and it
will end up looking bright yellow through to dull orange regardless
of any white cement/line you use. You can get better washed sand
which is lighter in colour (silver sand), and you should look for
that. Don't use sandpit sand - it can be too rounded off to bind
well (to reduce scratching in eyes).

Pretty easy to wash out the yellow (ochre rather than oxide I think).
The sand settles quickly and the yellow stays suspended in the water for
several minutes, so is easy to pour off

Not lime mortar then geraldthehamster[_2_] UK diy 7 March 7th 11 05:46 PM
Lime mortar geraldthehamster[_2_] UK diy 0 March 5th 11 10:45 PM
Lime or cement mortar? [email protected] UK diy 43 August 13th 06 12:58 PM
lime mortar smudger UK diy 2 April 6th 05 09:57 PM
lime mortar smudger UK diy 1 April 6th 05 07:45 PM