Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Not lime mortar then

OK, I decided not to lay my previously mentioned hearth on lime
mortar, as I had sand and cement to hand.

It's a 4x5 arrangement of 2 inch thick 9 inch square Victorian
terracotta pammet type tiles.

I still want to avoid modern concrete pointing, which I don't think
would suit the tiles. I want either lime or a lime effect, sort of off-
white and gritty. My concerns about lime are the drying time (I want
to get the stove installed), and whether there's an issue when I seal
the tiles - as I think I'll have to do, as they are very matt and
porous after acid cleaning (does anyone have ideas on an approproate
sealer?). I was thinking maybe snowcrete and sharp sand - has anyone
used snowcrete? Is the result off-white or brilliant white?

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
[...]

Add lime to a sand & cement mortar to get the best of both worlds.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster ) wibbled on Monday 07 March 2011
08:06:

OK, I decided not to lay my previously mentioned hearth on lime
mortar, as I had sand and cement to hand.

It's a 4x5 arrangement of 2 inch thick 9 inch square Victorian
terracotta pammet type tiles.

I still want to avoid modern concrete pointing, which I don't think
would suit the tiles. I want either lime or a lime effect, sort of off-
white and gritty. My concerns about lime are the drying time (I want
to get the stove installed), and whether there's an issue when I seal
the tiles - as I think I'll have to do, as they are very matt and
porous after acid cleaning (does anyone have ideas on an approproate
sealer?). I was thinking maybe snowcrete and sharp sand - has anyone
used snowcrete? Is the result off-white or brilliant white?

Cheers
Richard

Yes - I did - for rendering the inside of my fireplace. I used white
playsand and a little lime. The result was an off white, but light enough to
take whitewash (proper whitewash).

Snowcrete is brilliant white so it pretty much comes down to which sand you
use. Do not use regular builder's sand as there's too much clay. Sharp sand
will be better, but I don't think you'll get a very white colour, which is
why I went with playsand. It's light and very well washed and about the
right grade for mortar and pointing.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 8:06*am, geraldthehamster wrote:
OK, I decided not to lay my previously mentioned hearth on lime
mortar, as I had sand and cement to hand.

It's a 4x5 arrangement of 2 inch thick 9 inch square Victorian
terracotta pammet type tiles.

I still want to avoid modern concrete pointing, which I don't think
would suit the tiles. I want either lime or a lime effect, sort of off-
white and gritty. My concerns about lime are the drying time (I want
to get the stove installed), and whether there's an issue when I seal
the tiles - as I think I'll have to do, as they are very matt and
porous after acid cleaning (does anyone have ideas on an approproate
sealer?). I was thinking maybe snowcrete and sharp sand - has anyone
used snowcrete? Is the result off-white or brilliant white?

Cheers
Richard

There are lots of different grouts available in various colours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 8:06*am, geraldthehamster wrote:
OK, I decided not to lay my previously mentioned hearth on lime
mortar, as I had sand and cement to hand.

It's a 4x5 arrangement of 2 inch thick 9 inch square Victorian
terracotta pammet type tiles.

I still want to avoid modern concrete pointing, which I don't think
would suit the tiles. I want either lime or a lime effect, sort of off-
white and gritty. My concerns about lime are the drying time (I want
to get the stove installed), and whether there's an issue when I seal
the tiles - as I think I'll have to do, as they are very matt and
porous after acid cleaning (does anyone have ideas on an approproate
sealer?). I was thinking maybe snowcrete and sharp sand - has anyone
used snowcrete? Is the result off-white or brilliant white?

Cheers
Richard

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over the issue. Whatever you
have it will soon be filthy on a hearth. ie, end up soot/ash coloured.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 8:41*am, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Tim Watts- Hide quoted text -

Playsand, I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
OK, I decided not to lay my previously mentioned hearth on lime
mortar, as I had sand and cement to hand.

Add lime to a sand & cement mortar to get the best of both worlds.

This lime is different from the fruit, isn't it?

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 00:59:01 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster wrote:

Playsand, I hadn't thought of that.

Probably known as silver sand by your builders merchant and at 1/10th
the price of "play sand". B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Lime mortar geraldthehamster[_2_] UK diy 0 March 5th 11 10:45 PM
detecting lime mortar [email protected] UK diy 3 March 20th 06 08:28 AM
Why Lime instead of Cement Mortar? TheScullster UK diy 18 September 14th 05 09:35 AM
lime mortar smudger UK diy 2 April 6th 05 09:57 PM
lime mortar smudger UK diy 1 April 6th 05 07:45 PM