Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler troubles

Just because I thought I'd have a clear weekend for doing something
useful, one of my boilers went phut.
I've localised it to the PCB and will source one. Apparently this is
very common on this model (Ideal Icos HE24) as the power supply has a
tendency to go.
Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my
researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that
other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a
new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part,
should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly,
how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:57:56 +0000, GMM wrote:

Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my
researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that
other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a
new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part,
should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly,
how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

Have a word with Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/
A walking compendium of every known boiler fault since the Ark and
supplier of replacement fans and PCB's at sensible prices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMM writes:
Just because I thought I'd have a clear weekend for doing something
useful, one of my boilers went phut.
I've localised it to the PCB and will source one. Apparently this is
very common on this model (Ideal Icos HE24) as the power supply has a
tendency to go.
Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my
researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that
other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a
new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part,
should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly,
how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

I would suggest getting an exchange board from Geoff @ CET Ltd - he
used to be a frequent poster on here, and he may well be able to tell
you what else to check before fitting the new board. http://www.cetltd.com

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 09:53, Peter Parry wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:57:56 +0000, GMM wrote:

Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my
researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that
other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a
new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part,
should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly,
how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

Have a word with Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/
A walking compendium of every known boiler fault since the Ark and
supplier of replacement fans and PCB's at sensible prices.

Thanks Peter - that was absolutely the right answer. Although his
prices are a little higher than some options, he clearly knows his stuff.
In case anyone finds this thread and is wondering: The only check is to
make sure the fan is spinning freely as that can be the root cause of a
blown pcb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:57:56 +0000, GMM wrote:

Although the odds are clearly in favour of the power supply, in my
researches on t'interweb, I see some general chatter to the effect that
other components can cause a PCB failure. Of course this would mean a
new unit would blow right away. So, while awaiting a replacement part,
should I be checking all the other components and, more importantly,
how? (ie am I looking for simple shorts or something more subtle?)

Have a word with Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/
A walking compendium of every known boiler fault since the Ark and
supplier of replacement fans and PCB's at sensible prices.

Seconded...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 10:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
GMM writes:
[...]

Just to round this off, in case anyone looks in the future.
CET delivered promptly, but I couldn't get the board to work. Geoff
readily sent me another. This still didn't work, but the problem turned
out to be the jumper settings, as there are differences betwen different
iterations of the 'same' PCB and I was transferring the settings from
the original.
Great service from Geoff and I will definitely use them again, when I
have to.
Judging by what people say about this model of boiler, that won't be
very long.....