Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default GE dishwasher troubles

Hi,

I have a GE under-the-counter dishwasher (Model GSD3620). Suddenly, it
stopped working. When I turn it on, I can hear water spraying for a short
time and then it turns the water off. I believe that the water is not
getting drained in the tub (I can see when I open the dishwasher) and so
the it shuts off the water to prevent flooding.

I drained the water in the tub using a wet vacuum and cleaned up the drain
as much as I could. Then I took out the other end of the plastic drain pipe
which connects to the garbage disposal and tried snaking it through. It
does nor seem to be clogged.

Is there anything else I can try before replacing the dishwasher? Would it
make sense to get a plumber to fix it?

TIA for any help.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

R Kannan writes:

Hi,

I have a GE under-the-counter dishwasher (Model GSD3620). Suddenly, it
stopped working. When I turn it on, I can hear water spraying for a short
time and then it turns the water off. I believe that the water is not
getting drained in the tub (I can see when I open the dishwasher) and so
the it shuts off the water to prevent flooding.

I drained the water in the tub using a wet vacuum and cleaned up the drain
as much as I could. Then I took out the other end of the plastic drain pipe
which connects to the garbage disposal and tried snaking it through. It
does nor seem to be clogged.

Is there anything else I can try before replacing the dishwasher? Would it
make sense to get a plumber to fix it?

First I don't believe a plumber will be able to fix it. You'd need an
appliance repairman. If the piping i hooked up and not clogged, your
problem is with the dishwasher.

Second, the failure points could be the timer not making good contact
as it whirs around its cycle, or a relay not opening a drain for you
and it's stuck closed.

I've not played with one of these in eons so that's about as much as I
can tell ya, but yeah, it may be time to replace. Does your GE clean
worth a crap? I know mine doesn't and i'm itchin for a replacement
excuse.

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM TKM is offline

"R Kannan" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a GE under-the-counter dishwasher (Model GSD3620). Suddenly, it
stopped working. When I turn it on, I can hear water spraying for a short
time and then it turns the water off. I believe that the water is not
getting drained in the tub (I can see when I open the dishwasher) and so
the it shuts off the water to prevent flooding.

I drained the water in the tub using a wet vacuum and cleaned up the drain
as much as I could. Then I took out the other end of the plastic drain
pipe
which connects to the garbage disposal and tried snaking it through. It
does nor seem to be clogged.

Is there anything else I can try before replacing the dishwasher? Would it
make sense to get a plumber to fix it?

TIA for any help.

Your information indicates that the dishwasher has power and tries to start
its cycle, but then stops. So, it could be a faulty timer/control, bad
water sensor or perhaps even a faulty motor which doesn't start after the
tub fills. There are simple electrical checks you might make; but don't
unless you are comfortable with electrical wiring and, of course, turn off
the power before opening the panel underneath the dishwasher.

How old is the dishwasher? If it's just a few years old it's probably worth
fixing since parts are still available and it is still in overall good
condition (I assume your dishwasher is no longer under warranty). For
repairs, my experience is that it's better to find a service company that
specializes in GE rather than ask a plumber who may not be familiar with the
make and likely won't stock the needed parts.

My rule with appliances is that two or three repairs/service calls after
warranty are O.K. After that, it's replacement time.

TKM

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks for taking the time to respond. See my responses to your questions
below:

TKM wrote:

Your information indicates that the dishwasher has power and tries to
start
its cycle, but then stops. So, it could be a faulty timer/control, bad
water sensor or perhaps even a faulty motor which doesn't start after the
tub fills. There are simple electrical checks you might make; but don't
unless you are comfortable with electrical wiring and, of course, turn
off the power before opening the panel underneath the dishwasher.

After reading up on the subject, it looks like the problem is with a plastic
cone assembly which directs dirty water out of the dishwasher. I am not
sure where it is located.

The washer starts off spraying water on the dishes but stops in a couple of
minutes. The dial keeps turning as it goes through rinse / dry cycles
without any more water coming in. The heating element seems to work fine
and we are using the dishwasher as a 'dishdryer':-(

When I opened up the dishwasher, I found it had 1.5-2in of water in the tub.
I pumped out the water and cleaned up the sump at the right rear as much as
I could. There does not seem to be any clogging in the drain pipe. There is
a cylindrical plastic cap at the front left of the tub which may be the
plastic cone assembly that I understand can go bad and cause drainage
problems. But I am not sure if it is.

How old is the dishwasher? If it's just a few years old it's probably
worth fixing since parts are still available and it is still in overall
good
condition (I assume your dishwasher is no longer under warranty). For
repairs, my experience is that it's better to find a service company that
specializes in GE rather than ask a plumber who may not be familiar with
the make and likely won't stock the needed parts.

My rule with appliances is that two or three repairs/service calls after
warranty are O.K. After that, it's replacement time.

The dishwasher is about 9 years old and has NOT been repaired anytime. May
be it is time to replace it.

TKM

Treadmill Troubles [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 1st 07 08:28 PM
Dishwasher Troubles Barbara Devaney Home Repair 2 November 11th 05 08:13 PM
Toilet troubles.... wesf66 Home Repair 1 May 26th 05 05:38 PM
Toshiba TV troubles [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 February 7th 05 11:04 PM
Lathe Troubles Donald Vivian Woodturning 8 July 22nd 04 08:12 AM