Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH fault, the programmer won't turn it off

My daughter has a fairly old fashioned but pretty standard gas CH
system which is controlled by a Horstmann H37 controller.

A couple of months ago it stopped working completely, it was blowing
the fuse in the wiring box. After a bit of diagnosis with a meter I
discovered that the suppresor capacitor in the control box on the
boiler had failed. I fixed that (with a proper X rated mains
capacitor) and everything worked perfectly again - until now.

Now the controller doesn't turn the boiler off at all, the only way to
stop the boiler is to remove power from it (there is a switch to do
this).

Is this likely to be simply a programmer fault/failure or are there
other possible explanations? The programmer is obsolute so if it
is faulty will have to be replaced.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2015 19:05, wrote:
My daughter has a fairly old fashioned but pretty standard gas CH
system which is controlled by a Horstmann H37 controller.

A couple of months ago it stopped working completely, it was blowing
the fuse in the wiring box. After a bit of diagnosis with a meter I
discovered that the suppresor capacitor in the control box on the
boiler had failed. I fixed that (with a proper X rated mains
capacitor) and everything worked perfectly again - until now.

Now the controller doesn't turn the boiler off at all, the only way to
stop the boiler is to remove power from it (there is a switch to do
this).

Is this likely to be simply a programmer fault/failure or are there
other possible explanations? The programmer is obsolute so if it
is faulty will have to be replaced.

You haven't told us what other controls there are. Are there any
motorised valves? If there are two 2-port valves, it will be an S-Plan
system. In such as system, the programmer and room/cylinder stats drive
the valves and, once the valves are open, auxiliary switches within the
valves turn on the boiler and pump.

If one of these switches fails closed or, in some cases, if one of the
valves fails open, the boiler will run even if there is no demand from
the programmer and stats. Could this be your daughter's problem?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 24/02/2015 19:05, wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are motorised valves, three I think (the H37 has two
heating programs and a hot water program).

If one of these switches fails closed or, in some cases, if one of the
valves fails open, the boiler will run even if there is no demand from
the programmer and stats. Could this be your daughter's problem?

It could very well be this, thanks, I will check the switches
associated with the motorised valves.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:16:04 PM UTC, wrote:
My daughter has a fairly old fashioned but pretty standard gas CH
system which is controlled by a Horstmann H37 controller.

A couple of months ago it stopped working completely, it was blowing
the fuse in the wiring box. After a bit of diagnosis with a meter I
discovered that the suppresor capacitor in the control box on the
boiler had failed. I fixed that (with a proper X rated mains
capacitor) and everything worked perfectly again - until now.

Now the controller doesn't turn the boiler off at all, the only way to
stop the boiler is to remove power from it (there is a switch to do
this).

Is this likely to be simply a programmer fault/failure or are there
other possible explanations? The programmer is obsolute so if it
is faulty will have to be replaced.

Get your multimeter out & find out. Does the programmer's 'CH on' wire stay live or not?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
[...]

And how do you do that?

Remove the programmer from the base plate and then there is no permanent
live to test the switched live.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2015 21:42, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Pick the appropriate circus diagram from :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s_and_Zonin g

and poke about with your DVM in the wiring centre ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
wrote in message
[...]

check the other end of the CH on wire to see if it live?

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 9:43:08 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

so probe the wiring centre end of the cable, or attach cable and put programmer back. Its not rocket surgery

NT