Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default 'U'U clips, spire clips/nuts, what is max thickness of flange they fit over?

I have a domestic paper guillotine (BABS Premier 14) that I want to
fix to a wooden shelf. There is a flange each side with a hole on each
corner. Previously, I just used M6 bolts and nuts through the holes
and the shelf, but now I want to hang drawers underneath the shelf and
the bolts/nuts would get in the way.

Hence my idea of using spire nuts like the ones used extensively in
the auto industry. I'd drive Posidrive screws from underneath the
shelf into the spire nuts. If the screw heads were countersunk, they
would not get in the way of the drawers at all.

But thinking back to my days as a motor fitter, these spire nuts were
intended for *body panel* steel, which isn't very thick. The steel
flanges on the guillotine are 2.5mm thick. Is that too thick for a
spire nut?

MM

Guttering and Clips Andrew May UK diy 7 April 2nd 12 05:29 PM
Cable Clips!! BraileTrail[_2_] UK diy 23 March 8th 10 09:29 PM
Ipe Decking - Are these clips ok? russ Woodworking 6 July 7th 06 05:46 PM
Where can I get hat clips?? Tom Stewart Woodworking 2 February 12th 06 03:04 AM
pew clips Will Woodworking 7 January 24th 05 02:19 AM