Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Humming Bandsaw

I was cutting out the teeth on a wooden cog the other day, and hence had
the bandsaw running for 20 mins or so. All went ok. Came back to use it
half an hour later, and it just hummed at me when I turned it on... So I
checked that it was free to move, and tried again. Still no joy. Then I
though, its almost like the motor cap has failed. So tried manually
spinning the bottom wheel before applying power, and sure enough it span
up. Then I had a look round the back:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...-Motor-Cap.jpg

I thought I don't recall dropping something grey and gooey on that! It
was set solid and well stuck, so I had to break it off with pliers.

A closer look at the cap showed an interesting failure mode:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ole-In-Cap.jpg

Turned out on closer inspection to be a run cap rather than a starting
cap. eBay had something suitable, so I wired that in today and we are
back up and running.

--
Cheers,

John.

Humming Toaster Wesley[_2_] UK diy 10 March 10th 21 09:59 AM
Humming faucets Bob F Home Repair 7 October 20th 08 10:21 PM
Doorbell humming Chris Home Repair 11 August 20th 08 03:32 AM
Humming noise. [email protected] Electronics Repair 19 March 5th 08 07:16 PM
marantz sr-50 humming chris C Electronics Repair 7 January 10th 05 11:28 AM