Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Knots?

The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this year.
This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can stop
the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot

Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches through
the preservative.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drill the ******* things out!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/15 10:44, Muddymike wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this
year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can
stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot

Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

well shellac will prevent the preservative soaking in, but its not white.

use preservative first, then shellac or equivalent.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

Shellac isn't generally white.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/15 10:44, Muddymike wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this
year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can
stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot

Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

Mike

The knotting I know is brown - being shellac. That seems to work IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:54:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

use preservative first, then shellac or equivalent.

The the resin from the knots will lift the whole lot off. The
shellac/knotting needs to be the first thing applied. As for knotting
being white I don't think the tin I have is but you may get a
different texture/appearance where the knotting is.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/15 11:27, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:54:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

use preservative first, then shellac or equivalent.

The the resin from the knots will lift the whole lot off. The
shellac/knotting needs to be the first thing applied. As for knotting
being white I don't think the tin I have is but you may get a
different texture/appearance where the knotting is.

preservatives that soak in rather than form a layer will not affect the
stopping activity of shellac.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2015 11:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/01/15 10:44, Muddymike wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this
year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can
stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot

Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

Mike

The knotting I know is brown - being shellac. That seems to work IME.

Yup, I once re-french polished the top of a cabinet using a bottle of
knotting ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

Shellac isn't generally white.

Wet shellac could well turn white because it has virtually no water
resistance. Add the tiniest amount of alkali and it's completely water
soluble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2015 11:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/01/15 10:44, Muddymike wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:04:12 AM UTC, Muddymike wrote:
The T&G cladding to my workshop walls will need re treating this
year. This
will be the second time in its 8 year life. Is there any way I can
stop the
knots weeping yet have consistent colour?

See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...op%20knots.jpg

Mike

Knotting or shellac painted on the knot

Knotting I've used in the past was white which would show as patches
through the preservative.

Mike

The knotting I know is brown - being shellac. That seems to work IME.

Shellac comes in a range of colours:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac...c_varities.png

(**** poor spelling.) Some is even called white - though quite how
white, I'm not sure.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2015 20:47, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Usually "blond" rather than white IME... (i.e. near to colour free)

--
Cheers,

John.

knots John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking 8 March 6th 11 04:34 AM
wood knots [email protected] UK diy 5 January 22nd 08 03:02 AM
Knots in wood John Woodworking 8 November 10th 06 08:52 PM
Treating knots Lawrence Zarb UK diy 7 June 5th 06 10:24 PM
Birch knots Mark & Juanita Woodworking 6 September 10th 04 03:56 PM