Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default Scroll saws - any with good/quick/easy blade changing?

I'm about to tackle a lot of internal fretwork (in wood) so I need to
find a sensibly-priced scroll saw that allows one end of the blade to be
quickly removed and re-attached - any suggestions based on personal
experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2015 21:48, wrote:
I'm about to tackle a lot of internal fretwork (in wood) so I need to
find a sensibly-priced scroll saw that allows one end of the blade to be
quickly removed and re-attached - any suggestions based on personal
experience?

How about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Panel-...e/231460079012
No idea how well it works I want someone else to buy one and report back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 23/01/2015 21:48, wrote:
I'm about to tackle a lot of internal fretwork (in wood) so I need to
find a sensibly-priced scroll saw that allows one end of the blade to be
quickly removed and re-attached - any suggestions based on personal
experience?

How about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Panel-...e/231460079012
No idea how well it works I want someone else to buy one and report back.

We used to have an A3-ish 40 watt laser cutter at our hackspace, replaced
with an 80 watt A0 sized one,
the little laser was ok, 3mm laser safe ply was about it's limit, biggest
gripe was the ****ty software that ran it, and the way you were locked into
that software due to the control boards being encrypted to only work with
the supplied software and dongle,

and of course the bed size, fine if you are cutting small pieces all the
time,

Of course the biggest 'problem' is that the laser cuts by vaporizing the
material, and hence leaves a charred cut, no rought or anything like that,
but on light coloured wood the dark black cut lines really show,

Also, watch out for what the actual laser you buy can really do, i.e. a lot
are engravers only, they can cut but not in the proper way... i.e. my
hackspaces laser has 2 settings, cut where it moves the cutting head in a
line at a set power to slice through the material, and engrave, where it
moves the cutting head side to side rapidly and fires the laser when needed
to engrave into the material )like an injket printer makes the picture up)
you can set the engravers to highest power and cut with then, but it takes
ages and gives you a jagged edge compared to the neat slice a proper laser
cutter produces.

I'd reccomend anyone thinking about buying their own laser cutter to see if
they have a local Hackspace first, most of the UK hackspaces have a laser
cutter available to their members, usually charge from 3 to 6 quid an hour
to use it, so if the hackspace is close enough to you, that may well be a
better alternative than buying a cheap tiny laser off ebay, or at least you
get to see what a certain machine can do to help you choose one for home
use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 23/01/2015 21:48, wrote:
[...]

An interesting suggestion, but sadly the Southampton Hackspace doesn't
have one :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I'm about to tackle a lot of internal fretwork (in wood) so I need to find
a sensibly-priced scroll saw that allows one end of the blade to be
quickly removed and re-attached - any suggestions based on personal
experience?

Hegner variable speed with foot switch. Without any doubt imo.
Quick release mechanism and uses flat ended blades.
Not cheap but V good. Sometimes available s/h on ebay.
Good well built machines. Mine has done a lot of work over the last 20
years, and I bought it s/h.
Still in perfect order.
HTH
Nick.

Recommended scroll saws Denis Glover Woodworking 4 January 24th 06 03:38 AM
New vs. old scroll saws? GTO69RA4 Woodworking 3 November 2nd 04 03:51 PM
scroll saws Joonie Woodworking 3 October 29th 04 03:51 AM
Looking at scroll saws Roy Smith Woodworking 2 May 7th 04 12:31 AM
Are jig, sabre, and scroll saws the same? GTO69RA4 Woodworking 6 August 9th 03 08:01 PM