Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's the material in these lamps?

Hello,

I would like to make some lamps, and I'm looking for a material similar to the one used by ikea in Fillsta lamps: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70155017/

I'm interested in plastic sheet material, that lets some of the light pass through and that has ha certain level of rigidity.

Any clues of what material is that and where I could find something similar?

thanks in advance,
Giulio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2015 17:16, Giulio wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make some lamps, and I'm looking for a material similar to the one used by ikea in Fillsta lamps: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70155017/

I'm interested in plastic sheet material, that lets some of the light pass through and that has ha certain level of rigidity.

Any clues of what material is that and where I could find something similar?

thanks in advance,
Giulio

From your link

Shade/ Feet: Polypropylene plastic
Shade holder/ Lamp cap: Polycarbonate plastic
Leg: Aluminium

Presumably it is sheet at a guess between 0.5 and 0.9 mm

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-V...em3 39bb1c2d7
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2015 17:16, Giulio wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make some lamps, and I'm looking for a material similar to the one used by ikea in Fillsta lamps: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70155017/

I'm interested in plastic sheet material, that lets some of the light pass through and that has ha certain level of rigidity.

Any clues of what material is that and where I could find something similar?

thanks in advance,
Giulio

It's not what's used here, but Nomex sheet is good for lampshades.
Available from RS, among others.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=o...archTerm=nomex

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many moons ago, I found this sort of stuff at theatre and disco type
lighting suppliers. I think in the main though they used to sell stuff
that could withstand a lot of heat, which might not be required these days.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Giulio" wrote in message
Hello,

I would like to make some lamps, and I'm looking for a material similar to
the one used by ikea in Fillsta lamps:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70155017/

I'm interested in plastic sheet material, that lets some of the light pass
through and that has ha certain level of rigidity.

Any clues of what material is that and where I could find something
similar?

thanks in advance,
Giulio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 January 2015 17:46:44 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/2015 17:16, Giulio wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make some lamps, and I'm looking for a material similar to the one used by ikea in Fillsta lamps: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70155017/

I'm interested in plastic sheet material, that lets some of the light pass through and that has ha certain level of rigidity.

Any clues of what material is that and where I could find something similar?

thanks in advance,
Giulio

From your link

Shade/ Feet: Polypropylene plastic
Shade holder/ Lamp cap: Polycarbonate plastic
Leg: Aluminium

Presumably it is sheet at a guess between 0.5 and 0.9 mm

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-V...em3 39bb1c2d7

ups, thanks, I really missed that. thanks for the link.. that looks what I was after.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 10:13:52 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many moons ago, I found this sort of stuff at theatre and disco type
lighting suppliers. I think in the main though they used to sell stuff
that could withstand a lot of heat, which might not be required these days.
Brian

Gel, short for Gelatin, which was what colour filters were originally made from.

Strand Cinemoid used to be nice and thick, it was made by casting in blocks, by Courtalds (Ipswich?) and then sheets were planed off the block. Modern gel is like sweety paper , very thin.

Polyprop won`t work harden so makes a good hinge material, downside , virtually nothing will glue it , has to be mechanical fixings.

Obscured 'window' material for lamps - what's good? [email protected] UK diy 13 February 22nd 13 12:59 PM
LED lamps D.M. Procida UK diy 41 October 26th 12 11:53 AM
2D Lamps The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 7 February 14th 10 11:58 PM
Request for material recommendation for a Titanium grade or similarlightweight material with high yield strength John2005 Metalworking 0 May 29th 08 03:24 AM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM