Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Cool tiny tiny PC

I have just today received this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=104#JBC365

a Jetway Jetway JBC365 Fanless Dual LAN PC with quad core cpu.

Wedged a 4GB stick of RAM in (which passed 1 cycle of Memtest86) and
also a 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD (SATA).

Only criticism is it's a bit fiddly getting the HDD cables to fold up
nicely away from pointy pin headers, but after a few goes I found a
reasonable way to lay them. You can stick mSATA sticks in but the
chipset is a bit fussy and does not like all types of SSD (in particular
it's not been tested with Plextor or Sandisk - the only 2 types I will
touch).

But boy, it is *small*. I want it to be an Internet gateway, firewall,
essential services like DNS, DHCP and critical filestore ( $HOME
basically). The 2 gig ports lend it to that (though of course you could
pull a VLAN stunt with one port).

It's running Mint linux 64 bit live right now and I'm stress testing the
crap out of it. Bonnie++ results are good, got 8 cpuburn processes going
at once and the temperatures are after about 1/2 hour (with room at
about 20C and this thing has no fans):

Disk internal temp: 42C

CPU cores: 49-52C

System temp: 47C/27C (I suspect that is chipset/ambient board)

All of those have a very large margin before maximums.

When I've finished a badblocks run, I try it for feel of Mint - but I
suspect it could also make a quite convincing media device (stapped to
the back of a TV) or even a plausible desktop machine.

Only just got it so it could go bang tomorrow - but thought some folk
might me interested...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/15 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK whats it actually cost though...

£186 plus RAM plus disk

4GB SODIMM RAM was £40

Disk was about £100 for 240GB of 10 year guaranteed Sandisk SSD.

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs, 1 DVI out that can drive VGA via supllied adaptor.

Comes with DIN rail clips, feet to stand up and wall mount brackets.

External PSU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2015 18:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK whats it actually cost though...

£186 plus RAM plus disk

4GB SODIMM RAM was £40

Disk was about £100 for 240GB of 10 year guaranteed Sandisk SSD.

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs, 1 DVI out that can drive VGA via supllied adaptor.

Comes with DIN rail clips, feet to stand up and wall mount brackets.

External PSU.

USB2 or USB3 or both?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/15 19:00, Bod wrote:

USB2 or USB3 or both?

Good question...

Spec says 2 USB2 and 2 USB3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2015 20:18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 19:00, Bod wrote:

USB2 or USB3 or both?

Good question...

Spec says 2 USB2 and 2 USB3

That's good, but I can't understand why they don't install all USB3s,
seeing as USB3s are backward compatible with USB2s.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 19:00:16 UTC, Bod wrote:
USB2 or USB3 or both?

Depends on the model, but some models have USB3 on the front and USB2 on the back.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK whats it actually cost though...

£186 plus RAM plus disk

4GB SODIMM RAM was £40

Disk was about £100 for 240GB of 10 year guaranteed Sandisk SSD.

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs, 1 DVI out that can drive VGA via supllied adaptor.

Comes with DIN rail clips, feet to stand up and wall mount brackets.

External PSU.

Blimey! Buy a proper PC with space for that, or buy a RaspberryPi for
£25.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2015 16:45, Tim Watts wrote:

And "Raspberry Pi" would have to be a seriously rediculous statement to
make - how am I going to route 80Mbit/sec IP through a Pi plus internal
1gig?

My ADSL router manages more than that with less processing power than a
Pi so it is doable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK whats it actually cost though...

£186 plus RAM plus disk

4GB SODIMM RAM was £40

Disk was about £100 for 240GB of 10 year guaranteed Sandisk SSD.

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs,

Hmmm. I need 3 NICs. Any way to do that?

If you have a look on the original link, IIRC there's one with 4 NICs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
OK whats it actually cost though...

£186 plus RAM plus disk

4GB SODIMM RAM was £40

Disk was about £100 for 240GB of 10 year guaranteed Sandisk SSD.

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs,

Hmmm. I need 3 NICs. Any way to do that?

If you have a look on the original link, IIRC there's one with 4 NICs.

Betterer and betterer. Thank you.

I've just emailed mini-itx back (they know their products) and asked:

How are certain mSATA cards not compatible with the BayTrain chipset -
totally not working or (worse) subtle problems.

I did also give some feedback on the amount of strain the SATA cables
and suggested a cable a right angled plugs (data and powwer, board end)
and extra flexible data cabled would help.

I think it will be OK - the warmth will probably let the stress out of
the cables and on my 4th or so go to pre-fold the wires so they lay
reasonably well, it was not too hard to get the case lid on. But I come
from the school of "permanent strain on connectors is bad, mmmkay?".

Bit of a Sinclair-ism - if Jetway had made the case 1/4" thicker it
would have made all the difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Has 4 USB ports, 2 NICs,

Hmmm. I need 3 NICs. Any way to do that?

Jetway certainly do 4-port ethernet daughter cards for some of their
other small form motherboards, used them in firewalls.

Alternatively

http://uk.startech.com/Networking-IO/~USB32000SPT

cheaper at Amazon et al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
I have just today received this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=104#JBC365

a Jetway Jetway JBC365 Fanless Dual LAN PC with quad core cpu.

Wedged a 4GB stick of RAM in (which passed 1 cycle of Memtest86) and
also a 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD (SATA).

I would be interested to know the idling power consumption.

--
Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/15 11:25, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
I have just today received this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=104#JBC365

a Jetway Jetway JBC365 Fanless Dual LAN PC with quad core cpu.

Wedged a 4GB stick of RAM in (which passed 1 cycle of Memtest86) and
also a 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD (SATA).

I would be interested to know the idling power consumption.

I will not be able to do that sadly - I don't have a spare power meter
right now.

But my guesstimate is it will be in the 10-20W region based on how warm
the case gets with no fan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts writes:
I have just today received this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=104#JBC365

a Jetway Jetway JBC365 Fanless Dual LAN PC with quad core cpu.

Wedged a 4GB stick of RAM in (which passed 1 cycle of Memtest86) and
also a 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD (SATA).

I would be interested to know the idling power consumption.

I will not be able to do that sadly - I don't have a spare power meter
right now.

But my guesstimate is it will be in the 10-20W region based on how warm
the case gets with no fan.

No less than my full-sized Fujitsu Esprimo P910.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[snip description of tiny PC]

I've looked at these, but they've never quite been what I want.

For a compact, basic (but 'real') PC I use RaspberryPi or BeagleBone
Black.

For an efficent server box with space for disk drives etc. I've just
discovered Fujitsu Esprimo, Morgan Computers have an Esprimo P910 at
about £200 and it runs at an idle power consumption of abot 20 watts.
Excellent NAS system, lots of space for disk drives, and being quad
code I5 has lots of processing power.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 7:13:06 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

maybe if the question were clearer

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:01:34 +0000, wrote:

Sorry, I mis-remembered it, I bought mine for about £270 which is easy
enough as you can nearly always get an extra 10% off the Morgan prices.

No problem.

I run XP and Win7 in VirtualBox on my Esprimo, they whizz along.

As I said I'm 20th centuary, Desqview was in use before OS/2 as a
virtual machine multitasking enviroment. Modern VM's I know SFA
about. VirtualBox is that an OS that hosts other OS's or something
you run under say Win7 that then allows other OS's to run?

VirtualBox is a free virtual hosting environment sponsored by Oracle.
It can run on Linux, Windows and others. It uses the virtual hardware
abilities of modern x86 processors.

Desqview is hardly a 'virtual machine' environment, just a
multi-tasking one (yes, I used it once-upon-a-time).

I left OS/2 many moons ago and, after a brief foray into Win2k

This machine can dual boot betwen OS/2 and WIn2k but Win2K is
probably even more broke than OS/2. I have data/files going back to
at least 1998 that comes from OS/2 programmes, which I'm more than
happy to continue using, hence the requirement to be able to run
OS/2.

I liked OS/2 but felt it was a dead end. (I even did some work on it
as a contractor at IBM in the late 1980s)

... I moved to Linux.

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

?? I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

None of the Linuxen I've used do that. Also, I have mine set not to bring
the window with the input focus to the front.

Yep.

Modal windows are the spawn of satan.

If you must have an overriding alert (the typical classic use), the
right way (or on of the better ways) is a floating balloon in the corner
or a dancing icon in the system tray.

Really no excuse at all for trying to make a file chooser modal!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

None of the Linuxen I've used do that..

None of the Windowses I've used does that either. The Open dialog
usually disables its parent (which is not where I'd be looking to remind
myself) but IME it doesn't disable anything else.

I try to avoid File-Open anyway, for convenience. I locate the file
using Explorer or equivalent and drag it onto the app's window.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

Sorry to sound dense but can you go thru that in a little more detail as
to what your doing please?.

Where is this file chooser that you speak of?. Did you mean a search
function?.

None of the Linuxen I've used do that. Also, I have mine set not to bring
the window with the input focus to the front.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

I would just use the built in search function in the dialogue or just
switch to the other windows and cut and paste the file. You have been
able to do that on windows for years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

I don't get that. I just tried it. File - Open, file chooser open. Now
go and play in any one of the many other programs I've also got open, no
problem at all.

OTOH I don't run windows maximised - is that the difference?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2015-01-23, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I keep wandering off to look but I've yet to be won over by any linux
desktop compared to Presentation Manager on OS/2. They have the
annoying restrictions that the Windows desktop has. Dialogue open?
You can only move or switch to a limited set of windows.

Nope. That's one of the reasons I loathe Windows. Click "File - Open",
Windows opens a file chooser, damn, I've forgotten where the file is, now
I have to close the ****ing chooser to go and remind myself where the file
is. Any system that seizes the inpput focus is broken.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but I don't seem what you mean.

Here on this system (Win 7) I can click fileopen in some program, then
leave that open, whilst I go an check in Windows Explorer where
something is, then go back to the file open dialogue to open the file.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2015 17:51, Huge wrote:
On 2015-01-22, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I am. I need a smaller, less power hungry machine to run my Smoothwall on.

I've read some good reports on these mini PCs and they seem to perform
very well considering the miniscule size of them.
I'm watching with interest and may well buy one, but I'll wait to see if
more competition improves them even more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/15 18:15, Bod wrote:

I've read some good reports on these mini PCs and they seem to perform

very well considering the miniscule size of them.
I'm watching with interest and may well buy one, but I'll wait to see if
more competition improves them even more.

I've just had my son hammer the linux screensavers a bit and he thought
they were pretty smooth.

It's is probably not as fast as an i3 laptop, but it feels usable (need
to hook up to internet to try youtube) but it does kick an Atom's arse
off into the next field.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2015 18:57, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/01/15 18:15, Bod wrote:

I've read some good reports on these mini PCs and they seem to perform

very well considering the miniscule size of them.
I'm watching with interest and may well buy one, but I'll wait to see if
more competition improves them even more.

I've just had my son hammer the linux screensavers a bit and he thought
they were pretty smooth.

It's is probably not as fast as an i3 laptop, but it feels usable (need
to hook up to internet to try youtube) but it does kick an Atom's arse
off into the next field.

Ok, thanks for the info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-22, Tim Watts wrote:

Only just got it so it could go bang tomorrow - but thought some folk
might me interested...

I am. I need a smaller, less power hungry machine to run my Smoothwall on.

I have not speedtested the Realtek NICs yet - that will probably be next
week - happy to post the result - I'll do some iperf tests using both
and see how hard it hits the CPU and if the NICs actually have drive at
line speed more or less[1]

[1] Probably these days, but years ago, ****e NICs would manage maybe
40% of the line speed unless they were good Intel ones.

If you are happy with the mSATA offerings that are stated compatible,
(Kingston, Intel) they would be easier to fit. I went for Sandisk
Extreme Pro regular SATA as for no extra money, it has a 10 year guarantee.

Tiny bees Nelly Wensdow Home Repair 8 June 25th 10 02:49 AM
Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
Really Cool Toy (aviation, and a tiny bit of metal, content) Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 13 May 5th 06 01:54 AM
Tiny air conditioner _DD Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 03:40 PM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM