Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaver sockets adaptors and 13amp plugs and extensions

I would really like someone to produce a proper shaver socket extension
cord. At the moment if I want to charge the battery in a shaver I need to
shove it into an adaptor in a 13 amp socket, then the curly lead is far too
short to reach anything sensible in a bedroom etc.
Add to that the modern tendency to use two different pin diameters for
shavers, thus making many adaptors less than good connections unless you
wedge a house brick on the plug to push it to one side.
So at the weekend I got an old lead from a dead shaver of the old type and
wired a 13 amp plug on the end. a bit fiddly as the wires in those curly
leads are not very meaty to say the least, but at least I can now charge it
without the adaptor that I got from the remaindered sale at Comet last year,
and it truly is rubbish, no fuse, and just a few bits of bent p brass
inside, with ashuter sprung by a bent bit of plastic.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/15 17:53, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

That's for adapting a 2 pin Euro plug. I think British shaver plugs have
slightly fatter pins, not sure if they'd fit very well.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/15 20:50, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/01/15 17:53, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

That's for adapting a 2 pin Euro plug. I think British shaver plugs have
slightly fatter pins, not sure if they'd fit very well.

Old British shaver plugs might - but I'm slightly sceptical about modern
bathroom devices like shavers and toothbrushes as they are made for an
EU market.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

So at the weekend I got an old lead from a dead shaver of the old type and
wired a 13 amp plug on the end. a bit fiddly as the wires in those curly
leads are not very meaty to say the least,

I thought you were supposed to be blind! Radar? Practice?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that not just a shaver adaptor though, I cannot see the picture
obviously, but I'vehad my share of those. Let us have a three foot piece of
straight wire with a 13a plug suitably fused at on end and two bespoke
sockets on the other for the two shaver plug types.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have two remmingtons here, one is the older type with the fatter pins and
mains direct to the shaver, the other has a kind of oblong box and thinner
pins with presumably low voltage coming out on the curly lead. the plugs
and sockets at the shaver end are different of corse, the latter is
polarised, the former is not.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/01/15 17:53, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Try a 2 pin to 13Amp converter

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ter/index.html

That's for adapting a 2 pin Euro plug. I think British shaver plugs have
slightly fatter pins, not sure if they'd fit very well.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am blind and yes as long as there is no polarity issues and a wire
stripper is to hand it can be done by feel very easily, trust me. Likewise I
am also good at repairing cassette tapes for the same reason. My tactile
imaging is pretty good, and my hands still steady.
Just cos you are blind does not mean you sit around waiting for a pair of
working eyes all week.
There are ways around things. I am told that in the US somebody has
designed an add on to one of those colour detectors to test the sleaving
colour of wire, so maybe in future i can do my ownwiring as well. I can
certainly put rawl plugs in walls etc and we have talking tape measures, so
please do not be too dismisive.

Still not sure I'd want to wire uk stuff with the weird colours we use
here, striped leads might just be too much for a colour detector.

grin.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

So at the weekend I got an old lead from a dead shaver of the old type
and wired a 13 amp plug on the end. a bit fiddly as the wires in those
curly leads are not very meaty to say the least,

I thought you were supposed to be blind! Radar? Practice?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/15 07:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is that not just a shaver adaptor though, I cannot see the picture
obviously, but I'vehad my share of those. Let us have a three foot piece of
straight wire with a 13a plug suitably fused at on end and two bespoke
sockets on the other for the two shaver plug types.
Brian

No,

It's one of those funky 13A plugs that flip open, so you can lay a 2 pin
plug in flat, and close the 13A lid. Making what is practically a 13A
plug on the end of the original lead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I am blind and yes as long as there is no polarity issues and a wire
stripper is to hand it can be done by feel very easily, trust me. Likewise I
am also good at repairing cassette tapes for the same reason. My tactile
imaging is pretty good, and my hands still steady.
Just cos you are blind does not mean you sit around waiting for a pair of
working eyes all week.
There are ways around things. I am told that in the US somebody has
designed an add on to one of those colour detectors to test the sleaving
colour of wire, so maybe in future i can do my ownwiring as well. I can
certainly put rawl plugs in walls etc and we have talking tape measures, so
please do not be too dismisive.

Quite. The brain/body can develop all sorts of abilities if it has to
(not that everyone couldn't, but we don't necessarily need to )

It was interesting to see a couple of years ago about the blind guy who
had really honed his echo location skills (I imagine most blind people
use sound to varying extents).

I saw something on TV about it and he was describing what a rich picture
of the world he could build up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19524962
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I would really like someone to produce a proper shaver socket extension
cord. At the moment if I want to charge the battery in a shaver I need
to shove it into an adaptor in a 13 amp socket, then the curly lead is
far too short to reach anything sensible in a bedroom etc.

Might be easier to try and fine a second charger with a 13 amp wall wart.
You could then keep the 2 pin one in the bathroom.

--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.