Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BS Shaver plugs

What's the point of them?

They're slightly fatter than Europlug pins so won't fit in bathroom sockets
when you go overseas, meaning you need to take a travel adapter. Some travel
adapters for BS1363 will also accept the round pins of a British shaver plug,
but most won't meaning you need to plug a shaver adapter into the travel
adapter, how unsafe!

All UK bathroom "Shaver only" transformers will accept a 2-pin Europlug. All
UK BS1363 "shaver adapter" plugs will accept a 2-pin Europlug. Shaver sockets
overseas in non Euro places (eg Australia where Clipsal is king) will also
accept a 2-pin Europlug.

Supposedly the British 2-pin shaver plug will fit in a British round-pin
socket, but I've tried a 5 Amp and a 2 Amp socket and it will fit in neither.

So why don't we just abandon the round-pin UK shaver plug and provide new
shavers and toothbrushes with a standard 2-pin Europlug instead?

I can see the Daily Mail headline now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chunkyoldcortina wrote:
[...]

I guess this doesn't bug anyone else then )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chunkyoldcortina" wrote in message
chunkyoldcortina wrote:
[...]

It bugs me with my shaver and toothbrush. Need an adaptor just because of a
few thou.

Usually manage to force the plug in and struggle to remove it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 12:05*pm, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
What's the point of them?

They're slightly fatter than Europlug pins so won't fit in bathroom sockets
when you go overseas, meaning you need to take a travel adapter. Some travel
adapters for BS1363 will also accept the round pins of a British shaver plug,
but most won't meaning you need to plug a shaver adapter into the travel
adapter, how unsafe!

All UK bathroom "Shaver only" transformers will accept a 2-pin Europlug. All
UK BS1363 "shaver adapter" plugs will accept a 2-pin Europlug. Shaver sockets
overseas in non Euro places (eg Australia where Clipsal is king) will also
accept a 2-pin Europlug.

Supposedly the British 2-pin shaver plug will fit in a British round-pin
socket, but I've tried a 5 Amp and a 2 Amp socket and it will fit in neither.

This probably goes back to the time when unearthed "Class 0"
appliances were permitted in dry "earth-free" locations, such as a
lounge or bedroom with a wooden floor, while in situations such as
kitchens, garages, concrete floors etc. three-pin sockets and earthed
"Class I" appliances were required. This is still the case in some
countries, plugs and sockets being designed accordingly, different two-
pin plugs being used for earthed and double insulated ("Class II")
appliances.

So why don't we just abandon the round-pin UK shaver plug and provide new
shavers and toothbrushes with a standard 2-pin Europlug instead?

I can see the Daily Mail headline now...

One very good reason is that a two-pin Continental plug, the ones
having 4mm dia. pins that is (there are other types with thicker
pins), will fit into the L and N holes of a UK square-pin socket,
resulting in a fire risk due to these being often on a 32A fused
circuit, the flex being only safe with fusing up to 16A. British
Standard sockets are designed to prevent dangerous mis-connections
with each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alexander.keys1 wrote:

One very good reason is that a two-pin Continental plug, the ones
having 4mm dia. pins that is (there are other types with thicker
pins), will fit into the L and N holes of a UK square-pin socket,
resulting in a fire risk due to these being often on a 32A fused
circuit, the flex being only safe with fusing up to 16A. British
Standard sockets are designed to prevent dangerous mis-connections
with each other.

But it's already legal to sell an item with a Europlug on it (4mm) in the UK
provided that information is included that states it may not be used in a
standard UK socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chunkyoldcortina wrote:
alexander.keys1 wrote:

One very good reason is that a two-pin Continental plug, the ones
having 4mm dia. pins that is (there are other types with thicker
pins), will fit into the L and N holes of a UK square-pin socket,
resulting in a fire risk due to these being often on a 32A fused
circuit, the flex being only safe with fusing up to 16A. British
Standard sockets are designed to prevent dangerous mis-connections
with each other.

But it's already legal to sell an item with a Europlug on it (4mm) in
the UK provided that information is included that states it may not be
used in a standard UK socket.

There is a fused 13 amp adaptor available which safely accepts Schuko plugs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRAVEL-ADAPT.../dp/B002OILLMW

(There is another type of adaptor commonly available of flimsier
construction which does not have the socket recessed or any provision
for earthing which is best avoided.)

Amazon says it is an adaptor for 2-pin plugs but it also has side
contact earth fingers.

It will NOT earth anything fitted with the French/Belgian variant which
has an earth pin protruding from the socket (but most devices these days
are fitted with a universal plug which fits both types of socket, so it
is unlikely to apply)

They are stocked by Wilkinsons for around £1.75 which is much cheaper
than mail order!

--

Terry

Inverter & Shaver [email protected] UK diy 3 September 26th 06 01:22 PM
Shaver Sockets Shona Honeyman UK diy 11 October 29th 05 02:04 PM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM
WTB: Paint Shaver Pro scbody Home Repair 0 July 18th 05 03:46 AM
Shaver sockets Rob Griffiths UK diy 17 November 27th 04 02:07 PM