Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BS Shaver plugs

What's the point of them?

They're slightly fatter than Europlug pins so won't fit in bathroom sockets
when you go overseas, meaning you need to take a travel adapter. Some travel
adapters for BS1363 will also accept the round pins of a British shaver plug,
but most won't meaning you need to plug a shaver adapter into the travel
adapter, how unsafe!

All UK bathroom "Shaver only" transformers will accept a 2-pin Europlug. All
UK BS1363 "shaver adapter" plugs will accept a 2-pin Europlug. Shaver sockets
overseas in non Euro places (eg Australia where Clipsal is king) will also
accept a 2-pin Europlug.

Supposedly the British 2-pin shaver plug will fit in a British round-pin
socket, but I've tried a 5 Amp and a 2 Amp socket and it will fit in neither.

So why don't we just abandon the round-pin UK shaver plug and provide new
shavers and toothbrushes with a standard 2-pin Europlug instead?

I can see the Daily Mail headline now...

Inverter & Shaver [email protected] UK diy 3 September 26th 06 01:22 PM
Shaver Sockets Shona Honeyman UK diy 11 October 29th 05 02:04 PM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM
WTB: Paint Shaver Pro scbody Home Repair 0 July 18th 05 03:46 AM
Shaver sockets Rob Griffiths UK diy 17 November 27th 04 02:07 PM