Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaver plugs/cords (again)

Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like
to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I
suspect Elf 'n' Safety is at work.

I appreciate that a post in 2010 from somebody else included a link to
Farnell for a "Euro plug" (http://preview.tinyurl.com/lwwetvy), but
having tried that, these things don't appear to work in your bog
standard shaver socket. I even tried a 3-pin to EU travel adapter and
you just can't wedge the damned thing into the socket; it needs to have
the narrower pitch of a shaver plug.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2013 08:28, Jon Connell wrote:
Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like
to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I
suspect Elf 'n' Safety is at work.

I appreciate that a post in 2010 from somebody else included a link to
Farnell for a "Euro plug" (http://preview.tinyurl.com/lwwetvy), but
having tried that, these things don't appear to work in your bog
standard shaver socket. I even tried a 3-pin to EU travel adapter and
you just can't wedge the damned thing into the socket; it needs to have
the narrower pitch of a shaver plug.

Is the lead hard wired to the shaver? If not, would it not be simpler to
get a new lead with moulded on plug?

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/un5801/univ...tt=shaver+lead

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2013 14:43, John Rumm wrote:
Is the lead hard wired to the shaver? If not, would it not be simpler to
get a new lead with moulded on plug?

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/un5801/univ...tt=shaver+lead

It is hard-wired, yes, but then that's what soldering irons are for.
This would certainly be one option and you have to hope that the mains
plug is one of the narrower pitch ones. Not that the Farnell website
explains this. Grrr.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most leads are very flexible and made of tinsell wire. Difficult to solder
and get a strong connection - hence moulded plugs. (IMHO)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:28:27 AM UTC+1, Jon Connell wrote:

Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like
to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I
suspect Elf 'n' Safety is at work.
I appreciate that a post in 2010 from somebody else included a link to
Farnell for a "Euro plug" (http://preview.tinyurl.com/lwwetvy), but
having tried that, these things don't appear to work in your bog
standard shaver socket. I even tried a 3-pin to EU travel adapter and
you just can't wedge the damned thing into the socket; it needs to have
the narrower pitch of a shaver plug.
Jon

I used to use old french mains plugs for that, the 2 round pin pattern. Shaver adaptors accept them. They wont conform to BS so not for use at work, and inspect before use to ensure they insulate and cordgrip ok.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

also there seems to be two sizes now. My new Remmington is smaller than my
last one and the psu is built on the side of the plug so you cannot cut it
off nowadays for this reason!

I thought that most shaver adaptors now also allowed those american flat
pin plugs ith holees in them to be plugged in.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jon Connell" wrote in message
Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like to
put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I
suspect Elf 'n' Safety is at work.

I appreciate that a post in 2010 from somebody else included a link to
Farnell for a "Euro plug" (http://preview.tinyurl.com/lwwetvy), but having
tried that, these things don't appear to work in your bog standard shaver
socket. I even tried a 3-pin to EU travel adapter and you just can't wedge
the damned thing into the socket; it needs to have the narrower pitch of a
shaver plug.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
also there seems to be two sizes now. My new Remmington is smaller than my
last one and the psu is built on the side of the plug so you cannot cut it
off nowadays for this reason!

I thought that most shaver adaptors now also allowed those american flat
pin plugs ith holees in them to be plugged in.

Yes, but usually only on the 120V outlet in bathrooms with transformers.
OK if the saver is designed for wide range voltage input.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:15:26 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:28:27 AM UTC+1, Jon Connell wrote:

Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like
to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I

I used to use old french mains plugs for that, the 2 round pin pattern. Shaver adaptors accept them. They wont conform to BS so not for use at work, and inspect before use to ensure they insulate and cordgrip ok.

I should add that IME a while ago, a lot at the time failed to meet safety requirements

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:15:26 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:28:27 AM UTC+1, Jon Connell wrote:

Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like
to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new
bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and

I used to use old french mains plugs for that, the 2 round pin pattern.
Shaver adaptors accept them. They wont conform to BS so not for use at
work, and inspect before use to ensure they insulate and cordgrip ok.

I should add that IME a while ago, a lot at the time failed to meet safety
requirements

Meh, modern safety requirements are only there because dumb people have
proven they can't complete simple tasks safely,

that's why the world is so crowded nowadays, we are allowing the people who
would have removed them selves from the gene pool to keep on living, and be
thick enough to not even realise it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 7, 2013 12:52:25 PM UTC+1, Gazz wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Just for clarity, I mean the old French plugs too often failed the most basic of safety requirements.

NT

BS Shaver plugs chunkyoldcortina UK diy 5 June 18th 10 03:19 PM
extension cords rb Home Repair 20 September 13th 09 02:26 PM
Combining extension cords? k[_2_] Home Repair 21 June 26th 09 02:58 AM
Wireless Extension Cords Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 3 April 2nd 06 09:44 PM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM