Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Kickboard space usage

Background...workspace: moved from a double heated garage to an 8x6 shed
with the house move. I have several tools in the shed and this summer
need to relocate in the house (rust, security etc) Although there is
plenty of space spare rooms etc, wife not happy if she can see them :-(

So I was thinking of using the kickboard space under the kitchen units,
I have 10`run by 2` deep of space. I am looking for ideas.

My 1st thought was making a drawer on runners faced with the kickboard
facing but as the units are already in place it would be awkward to
construct and fit something to take the runners. My next thought is to
make the `drawers`but with wheels on them so I can just pull out and
slide back.

Anyone done similar or got any other ideas for this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2015 22:08, ss wrote:
Background...workspace: moved from a double heated garage to an 8x6 shed
with the house move. I have several tools in the shed and this summer
need to relocate in the house (rust, security etc) Although there is
plenty of space spare rooms etc, wife not happy if she can see them :-(

So I was thinking of using the kickboard space under the kitchen units,
I have 10`run by 2` deep of space. I am looking for ideas.

My 1st thought was making a drawer on runners faced with the kickboard
facing but as the units are already in place it would be awkward to
construct and fit something to take the runners. My next thought is to
make the `drawers`but with wheels on them so I can just pull out and
slide back.

That's what I would do. Presumably the units are on those plastic legs,
so you could fit the "Terry clip" type clips to the drawer fronts if you
wanted to. I'd also look at those moulded plastic storage boxes
typically used for under-bed storage and see if you could find some with
suitable dimensions. Being polythene, these slide quite well on most
hard surfaces eliminating the need for wheels (unless you have really
heavy stuff to store).

Anyone done similar or got any other ideas for this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:08:44 +0000, ss wrote:

Background...workspace: moved from a double heated garage to an 8x6 shed
with the house move. I have several tools in the shed and this summer
need to relocate in the house (rust, security etc) Although there is
plenty of space spare rooms etc, wife not happy if she can see them :-(

So I was thinking of using the kickboard space under the kitchen units,
I have 10`run by 2` deep of space. I am looking for ideas.

My 1st thought was making a drawer on runners faced with the kickboard
facing but as the units are already in place it would be awkward to
construct and fit something to take the runners. My next thought is to
make the `drawers`but with wheels on them so I can just pull out and
slide back.

Anyone done similar or got any other ideas for this?

About 50 years ago (OK, a little more) my dad did this with the space
under a bunk bed [1] - about 3 inches. In our case it was for a model
railway layout - we were presented with it one Christmas, completely set
up and pre-wired. We wondered where it was to go, but it slid neatly
underneath with the facing matching the bed.

He used thin rollers set into the underneath to gain maximum height and
width (OK, the thing was over 6ft wide and wheels at the ends might not
have been enough. But DIY rollers might be an option.

[1] It was a home made bunk bed. Two identical old beds, shortened legs
on the bottom one and then the top one securely fastened to the flattened
bedposts of the bottom one. Bottom one had already been shortened to fit
another room and so a cupboard made up the difference. Shelves for
railway stuff in that.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/15 22:08, ss wrote:
Background...workspace: moved from a double heated garage to an 8x6 shed
with the house move. I have several tools in the shed and this summer
need to relocate in the house (rust, security etc) Although there is
plenty of space spare rooms etc, wife not happy if she can see them :-(

So I was thinking of using the kickboard space under the kitchen units,
I have 10`run by 2` deep of space. I am looking for ideas.

My 1st thought was making a drawer on runners faced with the kickboard
facing but as the units are already in place it would be awkward to
construct and fit something to take the runners. My next thought is to
make the `drawers`but with wheels on them so I can just pull out and
slide back.

Anyone done similar or got any other ideas for this?

The drawers on wheels would be my favorite - simple enough.

However you could build a ply base with timber to support runners and
then slide the whole lot in as a retrofit.

You could either make the drawer fronts (of plinth material) wider than
teh drawer body to overlap the worktop legs - or fix bits if plinth
between the drawers to line up with the legs.

I suspect sheer weight would hold it in place - but if not, glue it down
with a line of silicone near the front should be enought (and could be
cut if you needed to take the assembly out).

Actually it's a really good idea.

Obviously don;t keep good tools under the sink cabinet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

So I was thinking of using the kickboard space under the kitchen units,
I have 10`run by 2` deep of space. I am looking for ideas.

I've seen a kitchen where this is where things like baking trays and
casserole dishes were kept... so don't let your wife take the space over!

If your house has mice or any other critters, be aware that stuff stored
down there won't necessarily be totally clean when you next access it.

My next thought is to make the `drawers`but with wheels on them so I can
just pull out and slide back.

I think this is better, if only because you might need access under there
anyway, eg to run cables, and there's nothing gained in having extra
permanent fittings like runners to work around.

You might find your wife unhappy if the drawers (or whatever) can be
accidentally kicked out of alignment so the kickplate no longer looks neat.

I've also used the shallow space under bookcases in the past (to hide wiring
that had to be accessible) with the kickplate detachable - just held in
place with magnetic catches.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 22:31:42 +0000, newshound wrote:

I'd also look at those moulded plastic storage boxes typically used for
under-bed storage and see if you could find some with suitable
dimensions.

That's not a bad idea if they have lids as well, keeps the critters
out. Not just furry four legged ones but eight legged as well. The
Really Useful Box Co has quite a range of sizes.

Being polythene, these slide quite well on most hard surfaces
eliminating the need for wheels ...

The wheels were worrying me to avoid losing height they would have to
be recessed into the "drawer" some how, starting to get complicated.
Sliding directly on the floor might be OK if the floor is smooth not
bare concrete or similar. I was thinking of thin (1/8" to 3/16")
hardwood strips fixed to the floor to act as runners for a timber
box. Candle wax applied to make the box slide nicely.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/15 08:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Recessed - or simply mounted on the side of the drawer box...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:14:21 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

The wheels were worrying me to avoid losing height they would have

be recessed into the "drawer" some how, starting to get

complicated.

Recessed - or simply mounted on the side of the drawer box...

Wheels, yes but it's getting "complicated" and costing space in the
box either due to the recess or smaller drawer box. KISS ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 10:31:45 PM UTC, newshound wrote:

wanted to. I'd also look at those moulded plastic storage boxes
typically used for under-bed storage and see if you could find some with
suitable dimensions. Being polythene, these slide quite well on most
hard surfaces eliminating the need for wheels (unless you have really
heavy stuff to store).

Plastic drawers outgas too much for home use in any great size. They're also never the wanted size, not adjustable and not diyable. And dont last well. Otherwise they're ideal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

newshound wrote:

I'd also look at those moulded plastic storage boxes typically used for
under-bed storage

That's not a bad idea if they have lids as well, keeps the critters
out.

The wheels were worrying me to avoid losing height they would have to
be recessed

They do tend to be recessed, e.g.

http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/Under_Bed_Storage_Box_on_Wheels.html

but finding some that are under your 2' length might be a problem, the
under-bed ones tend to be longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2015 23:56, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
ss wrote:

[...]

The problem with anything wide on castors is that it never seems to roll
in a straight line. I'd probably split the plinth into sections, unclip
them, and slide plastic bins underneath. Might need to tile the floor first
There are normally several drawers in the bedroom that haven't got
anything useful in them.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for some nice ideas.

Mice shouldnt be a problem as I sealed the floor before the units were
put in.
Wheels.. as I wouldnt access too often so wheels may be the answer, I
could make them out of ply and then just use a doweling rod as an axle,
mount the wheels on the outside of the `box. I would only require 2
wheels per `box`at the rear and at the front just lift slightly to clear
the floor and wheel out. Putting them on the outside of the box would
allow me to get max height as I would only lose say 2 cms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/15 10:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:14:21 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

The wheels were worrying me to avoid losing height they would have

be recessed into the "drawer" some how, starting to get

complicated.

Recessed - or simply mounted on the side of the drawer box...

Wheels, yes but it's getting "complicated" and costing space in the
box either due to the recess or smaller drawer box. KISS ...

You're worried about losing 3cm in width for a couple of 1cm wide wheels
plus bolt?

Bolting thin wheels on the side of a box is about the simplest scheme I
can think of barring teflon pads on the bottom (which might also work).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Why lose any - mount each one inside the corner of the box

NT

What's your electricity usage? R D S[_2_] UK diy 65 March 5th 14 10:34 AM
Gas usage sensible? David UK diy 36 July 22nd 09 04:35 PM
Sealing kickboard molding? SparkyGuy Home Repair 19 June 26th 09 01:00 PM
Redwood deck in Colorado: to space or not to space? [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 17th 07 12:27 PM
Kickboard/moulding [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 4th 06 11:39 AM