Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Car Windscreen

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crossword wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Either neat screenwash, or white vinegar, preferably before washing it
to get rid of the whiff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Crossword wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Either neat screenwash, or white vinegar, preferably before washing it to
get rid of the whiff.

I've tried everything else apart from neat screenwash. I'll give that a
crack. Taa for the idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/15 12:53, Crossword wrote:
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

hot soapy for me

If the alcohol in the screenwash doesn't get it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/15 13:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Crossword
wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc. detergent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/15 12:53, Crossword wrote:
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

The AutoGlym glass cleaner is very good.

Failing that, regular glass cleaner works OK.

For the odd clean up of traffic film, a bottle of glass wipes from
Halfords are OK and are convenient to keep in the boot.

The important thing is a supply of lint free cloths to buff up - old
cotton shirts and trousers chopped up are good for this and can be
washed and reused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

It's traffic film and glass cleaner should work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crossword wrote

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Glass cleaner. Screwfit do a litre for £3, other brands are available.
David's the isopon people made the first I used 40 odd years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Crossword" wrote in message
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside, detergent (fairy liquid etc) and a cloth.

Inside, damp newspaper, no chemicals, detergents or anything else, just wet
newspaper, followed by damp newspaper, gets everything off and leaves no
residues / smears etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Inside, damp newspaper, no chemicals, detergents or anything else, just wet
newspaper, followed by damp newspaper, gets everything off and leaves no
residues / smears etc

I use plain water and a microfibre cloth, kept handy in the door pocket
so I can do it while waiting at traffic lights etc.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2015 15:38, Mike Barnes wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Inside, damp newspaper, no chemicals, detergents or anything else,
just wet
newspaper, followed by damp newspaper, gets everything off and leaves no
residues / smears etc

I use plain water and a microfibre cloth, kept handy in the door pocket
so I can do it while waiting at traffic lights etc.

Swarfega works quite well. It removed some kind of unspecified film that
seemed resistant to detergent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Inside, damp newspaper, no chemicals, detergents or anything else,
just wet
newspaper, followed by damp newspaper, gets everything off and leaves no
residues / smears etc

I use plain water and a microfibre cloth, kept handy in the door pocket
so I can do it while waiting at traffic lights etc.

Swarfega works quite well. It removed some kind of unspecified film that
seemed resistant to detergent.

you can 'make' Swarfega out of diesel/paraffin and fairy liquid.

It is the way to shift the worst and hardest of grease films - the
organic solvent dissolves the film ad the detergent dissolves the
organic solvent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Crossword
wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

Any glass cleaner + balled up newspaper.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-04, Tim Watts wrote:

The important thing is a supply of lint free cloths to buff up - old
cotton shirts and trousers chopped up are good for this and can be
washed and reused.

I use chunks of old towels which although not lint-free, seem to work well
enough.

True - old towels have had most of the loose lint knocked off by
repeated washing.

Also, don't wipe the inside of the screen with your hand. It leaves greasy
marks.

Indeed. It's better to get a cloth or just wait for the demister to
clear it -

Which takes longer these days - I pulled the fuse on the Touran's fast
preheater because it had the habit of belching diesel fumes all over the
poor pedestrians during the first 10 minutes of running. I once smoked
out half the road...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crossword wrote

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

I use one of those spray things that goes on the end of the hose
and then one of those rubber strip things to get it reasonably
water free. But then I'm not obsessed with a clean windscreen.
Not ideal in the depths of winter, too cold.

https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9...b708ca25ae.jpg
https://worldwidejanitor.com/images/ZEP%2050015.jpg

Or the second one in a bucket of water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stay away from automatic car washes and even hand washing establishments as many apply liquid wax in the final rinse which may make the bodywork shine nicely. On the windscreen it just causes a build up of a wax film that is hard to clean and is one of the main causes of wiper chatter.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crossword wrote:
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Don't use a spam sandwich like my daughter did.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , john james
writes

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Such as?

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that
collects on it.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My friend swears on Fairy liquid.
Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new blades or
with the wrong kind of rain.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Crossword wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Either neat screenwash, or white vinegar, preferably before washing it to
get rid of the whiff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc. detergent.

Mix of that and the plasticisers and other volatiles from the interior
plastic components cooking in the sun.

IPA (the alcohol) and/or any decent wetting agent (eg neat screenwash)
on a cloth will clean it but do not get it in your eyes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2015 09:15, Chris French wrote:
In message , john james
writes

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Mixture of both.

Such as?

Traces of monomer and plasticisers that escape when the car interior is
being cooked in the sunshine and condense on the cooler windows.

Essentially it is in part the condensate of "new car" smell.

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that
collects on it.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

Slightly more aggressive solvents like IPA or neat screenwash will work
better with less elbow grease. Meths is just a bit too aggressive and
may damage or weaken some plastic components.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-04, Tim Watts wrote:

The important thing is a supply of lint free cloths to buff up - old
cotton shirts and trousers chopped up are good for this and can be
washed and reused.

I use chunks of old towels which although not lint-free, seem to work well
enough.

Also, don't wipe the inside of the screen with your hand. It leaves greasy
marks.

+1

I use old linen tea-towels
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend once asked me where the scratchess on the inside of his windscreen where coming from.

Wifey cleaning condensation with the back of her hand with a diamond engagement ring on her finger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 5, 2015 3:48:15 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Crossword wrote:
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Don't use a spam sandwich like my daughter did.

Bill

Auto car wash machine fluid once contained silicon which smeared terribly on windscreens and was well nigh impossible to remove. Seem to have gone away from it now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
My friend swears on Fairy liquid.
Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new blades
or with the wrong kind of rain.
Brian

Wait until he puts too much into the washer bottle!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crossword wrote:
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Don't use a spam sandwich like my daughter did.

Bill

Auto car wash machine fluid once contained silicon which smeared terribly on windscreens and was well nigh impossible to remove. Seem to have gone away from it now.

This is a bit of a religious issue, but I wouldn't use Rain-X either
for the same reason. Horrible stuff.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3181
Celebrate Mungday

Never found Rain-X to cause that problem. Don't use it much on the windscreen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 12:53:24 +0000, Crossword wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

I use Bartenders Friend (which has oxalic acid in it) for the once a
year clean of the outside of the windscreen.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Such as?

The plasticiser.

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that
collects on it.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

Not for the plasticiser.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 04:10:16 -0800 (PST), fred wrote:

Auto car wash machine fluid once contained silicon which smeared

terribly on windscreens and was well nigh impossible to remove.

This is a bit of a religious issue, but I wouldn't use Rain-X

either
for the same reason. Horrible stuff.

Never found Rain-X to cause that problem.

I was very dubious about the claims but when CostCo had a two pack
(Cleaner and Rain-X) for a tenner I thought I'd give it a try. When
freshly applied the wipers do tend to produce a very fine misty
beading of water but that quickly fades, about half a stroke of the
wipers. Other than that, any water beads and above about 40 mph blows
off. Once "worn in" the fine misty beading problem goes away and fly
splat/traffic film are easier for the wash/wipers to remove.

I suspect that how well Rain-X performs is down to the application.
Cleaning the screen, buffing, rinsing, drying, applying Rain-X,
buffing, rinsing, is quite a time consuming process and moderate hard
work if done well. I reckon it takes 2 - 3 hours, it's not a slosh it
on quick rub, job done process.

I agree about the waxes/silicones that car washes apply though.
Horrible stuff.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Mixture of both.

I'm not convince that there is all that much human fats involved
with the car windscreens. You certainly get that with glasses, but
that human fat washes off very easily under the tap, no need for
any detergent or isopropyl alcohol to get it off. The stuff that is
hard to get off the inside of the windscreen is plasticisers IMO.

Such as?

Traces of monomer and plasticisers that escape when the car interior is
being cooked in the sunshine and condense on the cooler windows.

Essentially it is in part the condensate of "new car" smell.

Yep. And is quite hard to get off with water an detergent.

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that
collects on it.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

Slightly more aggressive solvents like IPA or neat screenwash will work
better with less elbow grease. Meths is just a bit too aggressive and may
damage or weaken some plastic components.

But does work if you are careful to wet something like an old
T shirt carefully outside the car and dont end up with enough
metho on it to drip onto anything in the car and is easier to
find than isopropanol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , john james
writes

wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of
something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that
clean.

its human fats etc.

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Such as?

The plasticiser.

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that
collects on it.

detergent.

Doesnt work for that.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

Not for the plasticiser.

I've never had any problem cleaning the inside of the windscreen with
it. Though except for my wife's first car, we've only had 2nd hand cars,
so the youngest has been about 4 years old.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's likely the reason you never
saw the plasticiser problem, no new cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:22:46 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

My friend swears on Fairy liquid.
Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new
blades or
with the wrong kind of rain.
Brian

Washing up liquid user to strip the shine from the lacquer ...

I was once told that washing up liquid contains salt ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 06/01/2015 15:51, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:22:46 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

My friend swears on Fairy liquid.
Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new
blades or
with the wrong kind of rain.
Brian

Washing up liquid user to strip the shine from the lacquer ...

I was once told that washing up liquid contains salt ..........

I think that was the cheaper ones - salt was used to "bulk up". Fairy
was allegedly one of the few without salt added - hence more expensive,
but less required (but still provided in a squeezy bottle so that you
could use far more than was needed).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:22:46 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

My friend swears on Fairy liquid.
Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new
blades or
with the wrong kind of rain.
Brian

Washing up liquid user to strip the shine from the lacquer ...

I was once told that washing up liquid contains salt ..........

I think that was the cheaper ones - salt was used to "bulk up". Fairy was
allegedly one of the few without salt added - hence more expensive, but
less required (but still provided in a squeezy bottle so that you could
use far more than was needed).

Hmmmmm
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Scien...ion422885.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:35:32 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 12:53:24 +0000, Crossword wrote:

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so.
Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

I use Bartenders Friend (which has oxalic acid in it) for the once a
year clean of the outside of the windscreen.
- Mike

Correction: 'Barkeepers Friend'

http://www.kilrock.co.uk/products.asp?categoryID=10832

- Mike

Windscreen scratch DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 3 December 19th 13 01:56 PM
OT Air con fogs up windscreen Jim K[_3_] UK diy 27 August 19th 13 09:26 PM
Wax on windscreen Jim S UK diy 27 November 17th 06 05:28 PM
defrosting windscreen Grumps UK diy 42 January 28th 06 11:27 AM
Wax on windscreen - test Eric The Viking UK diy 43 October 3rd 05 06:32 PM