Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Magic tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

I am still ****ed from last night but I can see them opening the partitions

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

Partition magic.

I'll get my coat.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 09:58, michael adams wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

Partition magic.

I'll get my coat.

michael adams

Wow! So sharp, so early :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Smoke and mirrors:

http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/...-angles-70592/

Maybe don't need the smoke... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

can you translate that into English, please

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 08:40:02 +0000, harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Ask TMH.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

can you translate that into English, please

My fingers do an increasingly bad job of spelling out my thoughts, I
presume the "over" started out as "of" in my head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 11:11, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 08:40:02 +0000, harryagain wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Ask TMH.

If I told him - I'd have to kill him afterwards....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how this is done except by video editing?

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how this is done except by video editing?

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Most of it is the same illusion in a different wrapper. He's taken all
the 'Copperfield' bull**** out of the performance, probably because his
English is rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

****ing tell him.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

When I was a kid, I was the same unbearable know-all smartarse as
I turned out later on. I remember when I was about 6 or 7
we had a new visitor to the house, either a new in-law or in-law
to be. I remember a big fuss being made about this bloke on
account of the fact that he could do magic tricks.

I can't remember any of the actual tricks only that he performed
them standing in front of the mantlepiece in our front room.
With about 8 adults present.

But what I can remember is that after one particular trick
I either asked him something, or pointed out how I thought it
was done as his response was something along the lines of
"you can't do these tricks in front of kids as they can be
good at working out how you do them".

Which was obviously nonsense. Only later did I work out that
with a lot of these amateur(ish) magicians, as with bad singers,
many adults watching might well see through the trick
but would probably be too polite to say anything so as not
to embarrass the person doing the trick.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

can you translate that into English, please

My fingers do an increasingly bad job of spelling out my thoughts, I
presume the "over" started out as "of" in my head.

Oh I see

I did initially wonder if you were using some code words specific to
photoshopping (or the video equivalent thereof)

I know, in principle, how these tricks are done, but they did seem to be
doing them extraordinarily fast without the necessary gaps for the assistant
to get in place.

But watching it again I can see that the time is there for the "move" with
only the reveal done speedily - Except for number 1. There there really is
no time for him to get from a hiding place into the box, so he must have
been in it all the time it was suspended and rotated, which means that he
needed a serious bit of kit for that.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/****ing tell him./q

:-) :-) :-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 12:51, michael adams wrote:
[...]

There are, alas, many very bad amateur magicians about. The problem
with very young children is that they don't yet appreciate, for example,
that things can't just vanish. With older children, they haven't been
programmed by life yet, so that you can't control their attention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 12:54, tim..... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

can you translate that into English, please

My fingers do an increasingly bad job of spelling out my thoughts, I
presume the "over" started out as "of" in my head.

Oh I see

I did initially wonder if you were using some code words specific to
photoshopping (or the video equivalent thereof)

I know, in principle, how these tricks are done, but they did seem to be
doing them extraordinarily fast without the necessary gaps for the
assistant to get in place.

The assistants are known as "box jumpers" and are usually dancers or
gymnasts.

But watching it again I can see that the time is there for the "move"
with only the reveal done speedily - Except for number 1. There there
really is no time for him to get from a hiding place into the box, so he
must have been in it all the time it was suspended and rotated, which
means that he needed a serious bit of kit for that.

And a serious amount of practice and rehearsal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

There are, alas, many very bad amateur magicians about.

And not a few professional ones as well. A really good, dramatically
satisfying magic performance is extremely rare, sadly.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 14:43, Bert Coules wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

There are, alas, many very bad amateur magicians about.

And not a few professional ones as well. A really good, dramatically
satisfying magic performance is extremely rare, sadly.

Bert

Ever seen Etienne Pradier perform? Comes from your neck of the woods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

There are, alas, many very bad amateur magicians about.

And not a few professional ones as well. A really good, dramatically
satisfying magic performance is extremely rare, sadly.

having once taken a teenage daughter to see a recording of a Paul Daniel's
magic show at BBC Tv Centre, I entirely agree with you. Re-takes abounded.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 11:56, Sailor wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how this is done except by video editing?

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Most of it is the same illusion in a different wrapper. He's taken all
the 'Copperfield' bull**** out of the performance, probably because his
English is rubbish.

By the look of it it was a "so many tricks within a timespan" challenge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote:

Re-takes abounded.

I was talking about live performance. Recording a TV show is a very
different matter and stops, starts and retakes are the norm whatever the
genre. They're by no means always due to the person performing.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ever seen Etienne Pradier perform?

I must have, since I see that he was on Penn and Teller's Fool Me series,
though I can't call him to mind: I'll take a look, thanks for the link.

Incidentally, I don't know if you ever check it out, but the Asylum is
pretty much abandoned these days.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 12:51:59 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

[...]

Ha.
When I was 7 we were entertained at school by an amateur magician
called Max.

At one point I was called from the audiance to assist him and at close
quaters I could see where one of the objects he had dissapeared really
was. Of course I felt it my duty to point this out, much to Max's
constination.

Incidently Max had a son who did quite well for himself. Howard
Jacobson.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 12:54, tim..... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

[...]

He just needs to be bent over in front of the one visible behind the
box. Its his legs you can see and he just stands up.

There is no such thing as magic just distraction and manipulation.
Its easy to manipulate things if you fix the viewing angle, the tricks
don't work if you can wander about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 22:40, Dennis@home wrote:

He just needs to be bent over in front of the one visible behind the
box. Its his legs you can see and he just stands up.

Yes, two people behind the box. The bent over 'magician' already has
his hands and head in the box and is spinning it. You can see his head
pushing up on the upper surface when the box lands on the podium for the
first time. When it lands for the final time he just pokes his head
out. At the same time the guy behind jumps down from the stand he has
been kneeling on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

There were a number of similar tricks throughout this Patrick Sébastien
show, which we have watched for several years on New Year's eve.

Some of the acrobatic acts were very spectacular.

It is a pity that the BBC don't show these circus acts like the used to
on Christmas day.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote

On 01/01/2015 11:56, Sailor wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how this is done except by video editing?

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Most of it is the same illusion in a different wrapper. He's taken all
the 'Copperfield' bull**** out of the performance, probably because his
English is rubbish.

By the look of it it was a "so many tricks within a timespan" challenge.

I've seen him before, that is his act.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim..... wrote:

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

can you translate that into English, please

My fingers do an increasingly bad job of spelling out my thoughts, I
presume the "over" started out as "of" in my head.

Oh I see

I did initially wonder if you were using some code words specific to
photoshopping (or the video equivalent thereof)

I know, in principle, how these tricks are done, but they did seem to be
doing them extraordinarily fast without the necessary gaps for the assistant
to get in place.

He will have more assistants than shown at the end - including at least
one set of twins.

But watching it again I can see that the time is there for the "move" with
only the reveal done speedily - Except for number 1. There there really is
no time for him to get from a hiding place into the box, so he must have
been in it all the time it was suspended and rotated, which means that he
needed a serious bit of kit for that.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
"charles" wrote:

Re-takes abounded.

I was talking about live performance. Recording a TV show is a very
different matter and stops, starts and retakes are the norm whatever the
genre. They're by no means always due to the person performing.

But in this case they were.

I was working in the medium at the time.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote:

But in this case they were.
I was working in the medium at the time.

Then I bow to your insider knowledge. Are you talking about Daniels
himself, or a guest star?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
"charles" wrote:

But in this case they were.
I was working in the medium at the time.

Then I bow to your insider knowledge. Are you talking about Daniels
himself, or a guest star?

Daniels himself. There was one particulat trick (can't remember which
since this was nearly 30 years ago) where he got it wrong at least 3
times. coming 'off stage' to be shown - yet again- how to do it by another
conjuror (magician). This in full view of the studio audience.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote:

Daniels himself.

That's fascinating, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01 Jan 2015, Sailor grunted:

The Medway Handyman wrote

On 01/01/2015 08:40, harryagain wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BCJhRf...yer_detailpage
Don't see how this is done except by video editing?

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Most of it is the same illusion in a different wrapper. He's taken all
the 'Copperfield' bull**** out of the performance, probably because his
English is rubbish.

Hmm, in front of a French audience!?

How do they do that bit after 6:08 live, where you see the disembodied legs
walk across the stage? Is she walking behind a waist-high screen or
something? But you can see the apparent red cross-section of her midriff
at around 6:17.

I agree with Sailor - the way that's done is probably key to all the tricks
here.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2015 15:25, Lobster wrote:

How do they do that bit after 6:08 live, where you see the disembodied legs
walk across the stage? Is she walking behind a waist-high screen or
something? But you can see the apparent red cross-section of her midriff
at around 6:17.

The head arms and upper body are in the box the legs are pushing. The
skirt is fastened to her bum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Jan 2015, alan_m grunted:

On 02/01/2015 15:25, Lobster wrote:

How do they do that bit after 6:08 live, where you see the
disembodied legs walk across the stage? Is she walking behind a
waist-high screen or something? But you can see the apparent red
cross-section of her midriff at around 6:17.

The head arms and upper body are in the box the legs are pushing. The
skirt is fastened to her bum.

Ah, right - obvious now. Neat illusion though!

--
David

Stupid man tricks Smitty Two Home Repair 165 December 27th 09 09:14 PM
Lee Valley is up to old tricks again Lowell Holmes Woodworking 1 August 24th 08 02:25 AM
Old Dog, New Tricks charlieb Woodturning 5 July 4th 08 11:46 PM
RT tricks Bill Schwab Metalworking 0 November 15th 07 08:17 PM
MAGIC TRICKS [email protected] Woodworking 0 July 18th 07 12:09 PM