Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RT tricks

Hello all,

Suppose the goal is to make a 'C' with a horizontal line sticking out of
it - something like 'Y' on its side. The front and back surfaces of
the C are circular arcs (actually, it is slots cut into it which need to
be circular arcs).

My question is really just educational: in terms of cutting the
transition from the circular arc to the straight line (the outer
surface), are there any tricks of the trade for getting a smooth
transition? The best I have been able to figure out is to cut the arc
and then return to zero angle and use the mill table to cut the straight
surfaces. That should be more than sufficient, but any pointers for
"doing it right" would be appreciated (and probably not fully
understoodg).

What will be really interesting will be making the thing that rides in
the slots. My plan is to clamp using an oversize projection from it,
and then finally trepan either the part from the projection or the
projection from the part. I suspect the latter is better???

Bill