Posted to alt.home.repair
Sonbo

Default Any tricks to finding air leaks ?

Trying to seal up all the air leaks in the house. any tricks or suggestions
on finding them ? there there I just cant pin point where they are coming
from

Smoke would be good but not sure how to apply it.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

If you don't have a smoke pencil, a stick of burning incense will do
the same thing (just be sure to pick a scent that you like).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sonbo

OK, so where would I buy some of these smoke pencils ?

Thanks all

wrote in message
news
On 8 Dec 2005 09:29:20 -0800, "louie" wrote:

If you don't have a smoke pencil, a stick of burning incense will do
the same thing (just be sure to pick a scent that you like).

Yup, "smoke pencils" are up to 3 bucks a pack, even more in "blue"
cities.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

A blower door test is worth it you will get a person experianced on
fining the leaks to show you, a printout of air exchanges per hour,
Ideas on cures, and what you need in air exchanges to be efficient,
usualy 2-350$ Or get a big fan and seal it in a door or window and test
yourself, but you wont know how your house rates.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Sonbo wrote:
OK, so where would I buy some of these smoke pencils ?

Corner convenience store or gas station. Ask for a pack of Marlboro.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

RicodJour wrote:
Sonbo wrote:

OK, so where would I buy some of these smoke pencils ?

Corner convenience store or gas station. Ask for a pack of Marlboro.

Hi,
Or IR picture using IR film.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

"m Ransley" wrote in message
A blower door test is worth it you will get a person experianced on
fining the leaks to show you, a printout of air exchanges per hour,
Ideas on cures, and what you need in air exchanges to be efficient,
usualy 2-350$ Or get a big fan and seal it in a door or window and test
yourself, but you wont know how your house rates.

Or is you have a whole house exhaust fan, just cut it on to the low speed
with the windows and doors closed.

Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"Sonbo" wrote in message
OK, so where would I buy some of these smoke pencils ?

A piece of cotton rope works good.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

IR film in a regular camera will do nothing. Actualy many digitals are
IR sensitive but consumer digital cameras and IR film are the wrong
wavelength

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I know it wont work to register heat loss with IR film , my numbers are
a bit off but IR fim will register somewhere in the 700 nanometer
wavelength range, for heat loss you need to go to 2000? NM range. Ive
used IR film and am now experimenting with IR digital on my Sonys, Yes
any? most? digital cmos are IR sensitive, there are just factory IR
filters instaled some people remove, Remember the Sony IR digicam flap
over "seeing" through clothes, a filter is involved. Many people now
get junk digitals and open them up to remove the IR factory filters. IR
in 700 MN wavelength is now easy to do unlike film was not. Actualy
kodachome Slide film exposed but black is a IR filter, free in your
old box of slides to experiment with your digital to see if IR is worth
persuing. The Red area on the lens you are I believe talking about is IR
focusing with IR film. Or the Red ring on a Canon is the Aspherical lens
or high quality lens designation by Canon.

If IR was so simple there would never have been the need for 10000$
Thermal imaging cameras, you would only have needed a a cheap point and
shoot and every body would do their own energy audits instead of having
to pay the going rate of apx 300$++

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Many guys went wild when they found out a girl in a wet bathing suit
photographed as if no bathing suit when using IR film.