Posted to alt.home.repair
MG

Default Sprinkler leaks, winterizing

In the last 6 months I had 4 water leaks on the sprinkler + one leak at the
meter and countless small leaks at the commodes fittings.

Some may be explained by poor craftsmanship. Some PVC joints were easy to
crack loose and show poor gluing but the house is 7 year old and all
problems appear in a short time.

To understand what is going on I need some education...

1) Could be high pressure or surges? What is a normal range for municipal
water pressure? I plan to install a pressure gauge with a needle showing
max pressure, as soon as I can find one.

2) Just about when this started, some road work was ending and a tank truck
is filling up often at an hydrant in front of the house, to water the median
grass. There is a lever operated valve that can be closed quickly. Can
this create a hammering surge sufficient to make problems?

3) We live in Austin TX, winter are mild but it freezes and the sprinkler
pipes are no deeper that 6 inches in some spots, rocky soil. What is the
proper way to winterize the sprinkling system? I have a compressor.

4) The sprinkler main feed has a complicated looking valve. It has a main
cylindrical body as big as a wine bottle, there are two squat cylindrical
bodies jutting out at 45 degree, almost like a double TT (inverted) but
slanted; there are fittings and adjusting screws on top of the two bodies
and on the main body. What is this valve? Vacuum break? Pressure
reducer?

5) Would it be advisable to install a pressure reducing valve just after the
meter?

6) Any idea of the price of such valve on a 5/8" meter. Just the valve
cost.

Many questions but I appreciate your responses.

MG

Posted to alt.home.repair
MG

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
MG wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I live in Calgary. House came with pressure guage/regulator when it was
built. Typical pressure is 60 pound. I blow out sprinklers using
compressor(Campbell Hauser Extreme duty) myself zone by zone. It's
puzzling your plumbing sprang leaks like that. Last 30 years I have 4
houses, a cabin built and never experienced plumbing leak of any sort.
Older houses had copper pipe
plumbing, now this new ones are all done with Pemex and compression
crimp rings.
Tony

Thanks.
How do you connect the compressor to each zone? There is no fitting or a T
to access.
You say you clear each zone, I take that you go in after each valve. How do
you clear the pipe section upstream of the valves?

MG

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

MG wrote:

[...]

My system is Rainbird. I just attach compressor hose to water line thru
a "T" after water is shut off to sprinkler. Then I select a zone at a
time from controller and blow it out.
compressor not being powerful, it is slow process but gets job done. I
am wondering your yard is settling or shifting or something.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
MG

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

MG wrote:

[...]

That is the idea, I need to add a "T" after the shutoff.
No yard is not settling, pretty solid rock few inch under. But pipes are
shallow, perhaps lawn mower load.

Thanks
MG