Mikepier

Default Would adding sprinkler on zone decrease pressure?

Last week I posted a topic on getting the right sprinkler heads for my
arborvitae plants. I planted 7 along the fence ( total length from end
to end is 22') At each end is the existing sprinkler heads. I purchased
2 Toro end strip nozzles. They look like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53148.html

After firing up my sprinklers I noticed the 2 arborvitae at the ends
were not getting water,even after adjusting the sprinklers.
One solutuion was to add a sprinkler head in the middle and use a
center strip nozzle like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53147.html

That would cover the entire 7 plants, including the ones at the ends.
My question is would adding an additional sprinkler reduce pressure on
this zone enough to affect the other heads that water my lawn. It is
fed by 3/4 inch supply.

Joe S

Mikepier wrote:
Last week I posted a topic on getting the right sprinkler heads for my
arborvitae plants. I planted 7 along the fence ( total length from end
to end is 22') At each end is the existing sprinkler heads. I purchased
2 Toro end strip nozzles. They look like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53148.html

After firing up my sprinklers I noticed the 2 arborvitae at the ends
were not getting water,even after adjusting the sprinklers.
One solutuion was to add a sprinkler head in the middle and use a
center strip nozzle like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53147.html

That would cover the entire 7 plants, including the ones at the ends.
My question is would adding an additional sprinkler reduce pressure on
this zone enough to affect the other heads that water my lawn. It is
fed by 3/4 inch supply.

Yes, of course it will reduce the pressure to other heads in the same
zone. However, unless all the lawn heads had been completely 'open', you
should be okay. You may have to adjust the lawn sprinkler heads after
the change.

That being said, if I had 7 plants I wanted to water along a strip, I
don't think I'd do it with spray heads. I'd either use drip or bubblers,
myself, depending on how much water was needed.

--
Joe
William Brown

You need to know the volume of water available to the zone, which is a
function of the size of all the supply lines, including the line from
the main to your house, and pressure (which of course can be reduced if
something else in the house is using water, such as a shower or flushed
toilet. There is a poor man's way of calculating this that involves
timing how long it takes a wide open faucet to fill a bucket of known
volume. I think the manufacturers' sites explain this.

Once you know the volume, you can calculate how many heads to put in the
zone. If you add more heads, or substitute larger heads, its likely
that at least some of them won't work, just as its likely that some
won't work while someone is taking a shower, or the toilet is refilling.

The prior responder is correct. If you are concerned with watering
specific plants, rather than an area, a drip irrigation system is a lot
more efficient. Don't think that drip irrigation systems lack capacity;
some of those heads can provide 20 gallons per hour, right where you
want it.

Mikepier wrote:
Last week I posted a topic on getting the right sprinkler heads for my
arborvitae plants. I planted 7 along the fence ( total length from end
to end is 22') At each end is the existing sprinkler heads. I purchased
2 Toro end strip nozzles. They look like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53148.html

After firing up my sprinklers I noticed the 2 arborvitae at the ends
were not getting water,even after adjusting the sprinklers.
One solutuion was to add a sprinkler head in the middle and use a
center strip nozzle like this:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixed...les/53147.html

That would cover the entire 7 plants, including the ones at the ends.
My question is would adding an additional sprinkler reduce pressure on
this zone enough to affect the other heads that water my lawn. It is
fed by 3/4 inch supply.

there.
Mikepier

Thanks for the inputs. I solved the problem by using the Toro 90 degree
nozzles (covers 1/4 circle) on each end and it covers the entire area
so now I don't have to add another sprinkler.