Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wind on windows

Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

I ask because I am using a plastic glazing pane. Held on by recommended
tape and silicon sealer on 3 sides the bottom is not sealed , so as to
allow the condensation to drain, and it really flexes in the strong wind
giving a 'POP' as it goes. To prevent this in normal weather I have not
totally sealed the window. there is a small hole around 1inch by 1/4
inch. this stops the flex in normal weather and for the room door being
pened and closed. With storms coming I was wondering how much pull the
wind will have on a panel 1.2meters by 1.2meters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/14 13:16, Gary wrote:
Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

I ask because I am using a plastic glazing pane. Held on by recommended
tape and silicon sealer on 3 sides the bottom is not sealed , so as to
allow the condensation to drain, and it really flexes in the strong wind
giving a 'POP' as it goes. To prevent this in normal weather I have not
totally sealed the window. there is a small hole around 1inch by 1/4
inch. this stops the flex in normal weather and for the room door being
pened and closed. With storms coming I was wondering how much pull the
wind will have on a panel 1.2meters by 1.2meters.

think its velocity squared, so impossible to say unless you know wind speed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 13:16, Gary wrote:
Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

I ask because I am using a plastic glazing pane. Held on by recommended
tape and silicon sealer on 3 sides the bottom is not sealed , so as to
allow the condensation to drain, and it really flexes in the strong wind
giving a 'POP' as it goes. To prevent this in normal weather I have not
totally sealed the window. there is a small hole around 1inch by 1/4
inch. this stops the flex in normal weather and for the room door being
pened and closed. With storms coming I was wondering how much pull the
wind will have on a panel 1.2meters by 1.2meters.

I am not a structural engineer, but my copy of the "Structural
Engineer's Pocket Book" (put it on your christmas list) gives these
maximum wind loadings for various locations:

Scottish mountain top: 3.4 kN/square metre (ie. roughly 340kg force per
square metre)
Coastal Welsh town: 0.94 kN/square metre
Suburban South-east England: 0.53 kN/square metre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:16:51 +0000, Gary wrote:

Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

More likely push, I've not seen the window glass on the lee side here
flexing, the exposed side is another matter.

We used to have "picture" windows on the exposed side single square
pane of glass around 4' per side. When the wind got up those panes
would flex a good 1/2" in the middle with the gusts and the running
wind giving them a steadier flexure. This is with an F8 Gale blowing,
40 mph sustained gusting to mid 50's mph.

Unless you are exposed you're not likely to get winds that strong.
Being out in an F8 is hard work leaning into it and keeping your
feet. Anything loose outside disappears...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:16:51 +0000, Gary wrote:

Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

More likely push, I've not seen the window glass on the lee side here
flexing, the exposed side is another matter.

We used to have "picture" windows on the exposed side single square
pane of glass around 4' per side. When the wind got up those panes
would flex a good 1/2" in the middle with the gusts and the running
wind giving them a steadier flexure. This is with an F8 Gale blowing,
40 mph sustained gusting to mid 50's mph.

Unless you are exposed you're not likely to get winds that strong.
Being out in an F8 is hard work leaning into it and keeping your
feet. Anything loose outside disappears...

That is about glass.
The OP is using transparent plastic for some reason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 13:16, Gary wrote:
Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

I ask because I am using a plastic glazing pane. Held on by recommended
tape and silicon sealer on 3 sides the bottom is not sealed , so as to
allow the condensation to drain, and it really flexes in the strong wind
giving a 'POP' as it goes. To prevent this in normal weather I have not
totally sealed the window. there is a small hole around 1inch by 1/4
inch. this stops the flex in normal weather and for the room door being
pened and closed. With storms coming I was wondering how much pull the
wind will have on a panel 1.2meters by 1.2meters.

Anyone remember the Grand Designs house in Scotland? I *thought* the
windows blew in early on (very shortly after it was finished or even
during the build), but maybe I am mis-remembering the roof blowing off
in 2012?

Interesting nonetheless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uild-2004.html

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 20:45:06 -0000, Phil L wrote:

Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

We used to have "picture" windows on the exposed side single

square
pane of glass around 4' per side. When the wind got up those panes
would flex a good 1/2" in the middle with the gusts and the

running
wind giving them a steadier flexure. This is with an F8 Gale

blowing,
40 mph sustained gusting to mid 50's mph.

That is about glass.

True enough.

The OP is using transparent plastic for some reason

But was asking about the forces acting on a window from the wind.

The transparent plastic sheet I take to be secondary glazing. The
fact it "pops" indicates it has two stable states and it suddenly
switches from one to the other. The OP says that the sheet is
siliconed to the frame along three sides, this will stop/restrict the
edges moving slightly, which they need to do as the sheet flexes.

Think of a plastic ruler in compression, it will bow one way but give
it a shove it'll switch to bowing the other.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gary" wrote in message
Anybody any idea how much suck the wind gives on windows.

I ask because I am using a plastic glazing pane. Held on by recommended
tape and silicon sealer on 3 sides the bottom is not sealed , so as to
allow the condensation to drain, and it really flexes in the strong wind
giving a 'POP' as it goes. To prevent this in normal weather I have not
totally sealed the window. there is a small hole around 1inch by 1/4 inch.
this stops the flex in normal weather and for the room door being pened
and closed. With storms coming I was wondering how much pull the wind will
have on a panel 1.2meters by 1.2meters.

If it is flexing, the unsupported area is far too big for that thickness of
material..
Evantually it will crack and maybe sucked/blown out.
Also security/burglary issues,
Also scratches show up after it's been cleaned a few times.
Child issues if on upper floors.

Also single glazing in this day and age????????????

The stuff is ****e, only suitable for small windows in sheds/greenhouses
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 13/12/2014 13:16, Gary wrote:
[...]

Truely horrid building that. But then most were on GD in the latter days.
(That roof is gonna cause problems.)
(Are they doing a new series?)
..
Especially the ones built by brain dead architects.
Useless impractical glass boxes.
A lot don't even have curtains.
Architects started off well. Pyramids and such.
Reached their peak a hundred years ago.
Sunk to the crap we see in GD.
Why would anyone employ one?

I gave up watching GD.
It's a program started off well and then deteriorated.
No-one seems to watch it here any more either.
At least, no comments anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote
polygonum wrote
Gary wrote

[...]

True.

But then most were on GD in the latter days.
(That roof is gonna cause problems.)
(Are they doing a new series?)

Yep.

Especially the ones built by brain dead architects.
Useless impractical glass boxes.
A lot don't even have curtains.

You don’t need curtains with a decent design.

Architects started off well.

Bull****.

Pyramids and such.

There were not architects involved in any of those.

Reached their peak a hundred years ago.

Bull****.

Sunk to the crap we see in GD.
Why would anyone employ one?

Indeed, for a house.

I gave up watching GD.

I didn’t.

It's a program started off well and then deteriorated.

Still interesting to see what some get up to.

No-one seems to watch it here any more either.
At least, no comments anymore.

Bull****. We have seen two just in the last week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harryagain
wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 13/12/2014 13:16, Gary wrote:
[...]

Architects tend to build to their clients requirements. It's the clients
who are brain dead, usually.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:32:59 -0000, harryagain wrote:

If it is flexing, the unsupported area is far too big for that thickness
of material..

You'll never stop things flexing as the appllied load changes.

Evantually it will crack and maybe sucked/blown out.

I'll admit sat on the window cill watching a 4' square bit of glass
move 1/2" or so with each gust is a bit, er, worrying. But these
windows were installed in the mid 70's and none have ever blown in
and we have had some serious winds in those times. Worst while we
have been here was probably Christmas Eve 1999:

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view....1999&m=12&d=24

Also scratches show up after it's been cleaned a few times.

On plastic, yes.

Also single glazing in this day and age????????????

I our case, legacy. All the single + secondary glazing has been
replaced with 22 mm DG with Georgian bars (internal and external)
dividing each 22 mm unit into 6 "panes" per window in a "sash-a-like"
appearence. The whole window construction still flexs with the gusts
but only about 3/16" at the most.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 13/12/2014 13:16, Gary wrote:
[...]

Yes, but don’t necessarily do the detail very well at all.

It's the clients who are brain dead, usually.

Bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:32:59 -0000, harryagain wrote:

Also single glazing in this day and age????????????

I our case, legacy. All the single + secondary glazing has been
replaced with 22 mm DG with Georgian bars (internal and external)
dividing each 22 mm unit into 6 "panes" per window in a "sash-a-like"
appearence. The whole window construction still flexs with the gusts
but only about 3/16" at the most.

Our windows are all single glazed. Though most have sliding secondary
double glazing as well.

Listed building, with mostly Victorian sash windows, which are mostly in
excellent condition. Replacing them would be expensive. We do have some
rubbish 1970's -ish casement windows in the kitchen which of course are
all rotting and they will be replaced when we redo the kitchen with
double glazed units. We replaced the conservatory with a wooden one with
double glazing a few years ago.
--
Chris French