Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That put the wind up him...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2011 03:00, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

You mean how did the thing start moving in exactly the right way to go
up his arse? Screams stupid workplace prank goes horribly wrong to me...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news.../8719851/Elect...

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

You mean how did the thing start moving in exactly the right way to go
up his arse? Screams stupid workplace prank goes horribly wrong to me...

Yup. Usually those "things up bottoms" stories are misguided solo
sexual activities. But this one sounds like an idiot nearly killed
someone with an airline.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 6:38*am, " wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:00*am, Clive George wrote:

On 25/08/2011 03:00, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news.../8719851/Elect....

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

You mean how did the thing start moving in exactly the right way to go
up his arse? Screams stupid workplace prank goes horribly wrong to me....

Yup. Usually those "things up bottoms" stories are misguided solo
sexual activities. But this one sounds like an idiot nearly killed
someone with an airline.

Yes. Exactly so. I remember a similar case from years ago. Victim of
the joke died.
Also whoever heard of a tools airline running at 300psi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-25, Clive wrote:
On 25/08/2011 03:00, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

You mean how did the thing start moving in exactly the right way to go
up his arse? Screams stupid workplace prank goes horribly wrong to me...

Precisely. And a dismissable offence in most places.

I don't think I'd be holding back from dobbing-in my "mates" in his
situation.

However 'Sarah added: "I've been left to care for a husband, a young son
and I'm also heavily pregnant' the accident was 13 months ago, so it's
not like he's had no fun all year ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2011 08:26, Andy Burns wrote:

However 'Sarah added: "I've been left to care for a husband, a young son
and I'm also heavily pregnant' the accident was 13 months ago, so it's
not like he's had no fun all year ...

Assuming that the baby is *his*!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

Aye, an airline just leapt up his arse?
Some utter **** played a 'joke' on him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message On 25/08/2011 03:00,
John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

It does also justify the advice about not using an air line to "clean
yourself off" after completing a dusty task. This was a common practice
when I was a lad, and we used to scorn the advice of the old hands that it
was dangerous!

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

like the name of the "no win no fee" solicitors they are obviously using to
gain 100% of the compensation? ... sadly seems all areas of all their poor
lives have been affected (oh except he can drive comfortably and you may see
him eating a large meal from time to time perhaps out at a nice restaurant?-
"all the rest is ruined gov" cough cough.....hand out....)

FFS
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim K
writes
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news:l86dnbmas5ubMMjTnZ2dnUVZ8ladnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...1/Electrician-

inflated-by-pressurised-air-which-shot-up-his-bottom-in-bizarre-factory-accident.html

Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

like the name of the "no win no fee" solicitors they are obviously using to
gain 100% of the compensation? ... sadly seems all areas of all their poor
lives have been affected (oh except he can drive comfortably and you may see
him eating a large meal from time to time perhaps out at a nice restaurant?-
"all the rest is ruined gov" cough cough.....hand out....)

FFS

Yeah, apart from the ruptured colon and the use of a stoma for year I'm
sure he's absolutely fine.

FFS indeed.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Jim K wrote:

FFS

Yeah, apart from the ruptured colon and the use of a stoma for year I'm
sure he's absolutely fine.

FFS indeed.

Well, I might be tempted to believe there's an element of "Don't bother
sueing the person who did it, they won't have much money" about it,
followed quickly by "Why not sue your employer instead? They'll be
insured for it" ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 4:32*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:
Jim K wrote:

FFS

Yeah, apart from the ruptured colon and the use of a stoma for year I'm
sure he's absolutely fine.

FFS indeed.

Well, I might be tempted to believe there's an element of "Don't bother
sueing the person who did it, they won't have much money" about it,
followed quickly by "Why not sue your employer instead? They'll be
insured for it" ...

Yes - and that is the nature of being an employer.

Don't hire ****s/monkeys that can't behave responsibly.

Whilst I think there are far too many burdens on employers - they
should rightly be properly insured against serious injuries to
employees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:00 am, Clive George wrote:
On 25/08/2011 03:00, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news.../8719851/Elect...
Does it seem to anyone else that some details are missing from that
article?

You mean how did the thing start moving in exactly the right way to go
up his arse? Screams stupid workplace prank goes horribly wrong to me...

Yup. Usually those "things up bottoms" stories are misguided solo
sexual activities. But this one sounds like an idiot nearly killed
someone with an airline.

Someone did kill someone that exact way a few years back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:32:09 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:
Well, I might be tempted to believe there's an element of "Don't bother
sueing the person who did it, they won't have much money" about it,
followed quickly by "Why not sue your employer instead? They'll be
insured for it" ...

I think it's called "vicarious liability".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...tthat/8719851/
Electrician-inflated-by-pressurised-air-which-shot-up-his-
bottom-in-bizarre-factory-accident.html

It does also justify the advice about not using an air line to "clean
yourself off" after completing a dusty task. This was a common practice
when I was a lad, and we used to scorn the advice of the old hands that it
was dangerous!

Alan

I think that the problem with dusting yourself off with an airline is
more generally that a high pressure / high velocity jet of air can blast
air through the skin causing severe bruising and swelling (not as many
think getting air into the bloodstream and causing an embolism). Proper
dust-off nozzles are designed to give a low velocity jet and IIRC, they
have holes so that if you press then right up against your skin, the air
pressure cannot get too high.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

03:00, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-accident.html

It does also justify the advice about not using an air line to "clean
yourself off" after completing a dusty task. This was a common practice
when I was a lad, and we used to scorn the advice of the old hands that it
was dangerous!

Alan

My neighbor often lets his 6 yr old play with his airline outside ....
blasting pieces of gravel around his (not yet laid) drive, he is often
blasting dust, water, trying to launch things tec.
Worries me ... but his father sees no wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Indeed - common sense applies. The vented nozzles used a distance from
the skin and away from the eyes etc are ok. A hard point jet blow head
could on the other hand be quite nasty if you do daft stuff with it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I think that the problem with dusting yourself off with an airline is
more generally that a high pressure / high velocity jet of air can blast
air through the skin causing severe bruising and swelling

One of the problems in industrial environments is that the use of an
airline for blowing dust off the skin can result in the injection of
dust particles subcutaneously. Powderject systems, for example, are used
in mass vaccination and are simply a high pressure spray of vaccine
through the epidermis. This shows that air pressure can be sufficient to
push material through the upper layers of the skin.

When I worked in a cotton mill for a holiday job, several decades ago,
some workers suffered from a range of skin infections and dermatitis
associated with the use of airlines for skin cleaning. This was
attributed to them blasting surface dirt deeper into their skin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

On 25/08/2011 21:38, Steve Walker wrote:

.... Proper
dust-off nozzles are designed to give a low velocity jet and IIRC, they
have holes so that if you press then right up against your skin, the air
pressure cannot get too high.

Indeed - common sense applies. The vented nozzles used a distance from
the skin and away from the eyes etc are ok. A hard point jet blow head
could on the other hand be quite nasty if you do daft stuff with it.

Hey -- I even hurt the tip of my finger a few months ago with an
airspray can -- the sort used to dust out keyboards ... which is what I
was doing, and caught the end of the fingers of my left hand. Stung like
hell, and I thought it was going to stay numb.

As for "employer liability" [in this case]: why don't judges in this
country tell people [solicitors] who are taking the **** to go take a
jump, instead of poring carefully over the letters of the law? There
used to be such a thing as the spirit of the law -- now they only seem
willing to apply the letter. (On the off-chance that someone might sue
them I suppose ...)

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 00:29:04 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

It does also justify the advice about not using an air line to "clean
yourself off" after completing a dusty task. This was a common practice
when I was a lad, and we used to scorn the advice of the old hands
that it
was dangerous!

Alan

Indeed - common sense applies. The vented nozzles used a distance from
the skin and away from the eyes etc are ok. A hard point jet blow head
could on the other hand be quite nasty if you do daft stuff with it.

A daft thing I was doing when I was young was putting an impeller from
some broken air driven tool on my finger and then spinning it up to
many thousand revs with an air jet and then slipping it off so it ran
quickly across the floor.
It was brass or bronze about 2"dia and weighed around a Pound.
One of the older chaps asked me what would happen to my finger if the
central bearing through which the finger was poked decided to seize,I
stopped that lark immediately. Apparently it was not an unheard of
instance when similar games were done with a ball race spun up on a
finger by various means.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In articleOsKdnfwDxJZmR8vTnZ2dnUVZ7o6dnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

On 25/08/2011 21:38, Steve Walker wrote:

... Proper
dust-off nozzles are designed to give a low velocity jet and IIRC, they
have holes so that if you press then right up against your skin, the air
pressure cannot get too high.

Indeed - common sense applies. The vented nozzles used a distance from
the skin and away from the eyes etc are ok. A hard point jet blow head
could on the other hand be quite nasty if you do daft stuff with it.

Hey -- I even hurt the tip of my finger a few months ago with an
airspray can -- the sort used to dust out keyboards ... which is what I
was doing, and caught the end of the fingers of my left hand. Stung like
hell, and I thought it was going to stay numb.

Probably because it was trifluroethane (r134a) which is a refrigerant
and can freeze your finger if you hold the can upside down and liquid
comes out.

As for "employer liability" [in this case]: why don't judges in this
country tell people [solicitors] who are taking the **** to go take a
jump, instead of poring carefully over the letters of the law? There
used to be such a thing as the spirit of the law -- now they only seem
willing to apply the letter. (On the off-chance that someone might sue
them I suppose ...)

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

AIUI one of the problems is the vapourised lubricants used in
industrial airlines will end up on the skin (and to some extent in the
skin), and may lead to dermatitis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 6:21*pm, " wrote:
Whilst I think there are far too many burdens on employers - they
should rightly be properly insured against serious injuries to
employees.

Where employee also includes 1) unpaid training or 2) working for free
prior to employment. Some companies and institutions use such as a
"free prefix" in return for giving them the job.

In such claims there should be an examination of whether the claimant
had acted irresponsibly, and as a result have the claim reduced by
1-99% as a result. This does happen on the larger cases, but smaller
ones are often settled out of court simply in view of the costs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Quite possibly, although whether you would get any more exposure than
you would during normal use of an air tool anyway where you are sharing
space with its exhaust.

--
Cheers,

John.

OT - Wind Turbines John UK diy 58 October 4th 10 12:49 PM
Wind up, not a wind up Broadback UK diy 1 February 13th 09 02:04 AM
Wind gizmos Rob Mills Woodworking 9 May 17th 08 04:27 PM
B & Q Wind Turbine The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 January 21st 07 05:35 PM
This bloody wind !!!! Kaiser Sose UK diy 10 January 20th 07 01:11 PM