Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any use for old gas cylinders?

A chum has recently taken over some premises. Tucked away in a corner are
several empty gas cylinders.
No markings or id on cylinders. Some oxy and some acetylene.
He wants rid of them. Has been onto boc and ap but they are not interested.
Local scrappie none too interested either.
Large size cylinders, oxy about 5ft tall and acetylene about 4ft tall. All
empty and complete with valves.
Best use I can think of is to remove valves and concrete them in the ground
as fairly hefty bollards.
Any other thoughts please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
A chum has recently taken over some premises. Tucked away in a corner are
several empty gas cylinders.
No markings or id on cylinders. Some oxy and some acetylene.
He wants rid of them. Has been onto boc and ap but they are not interested.
Local scrappie none too interested either.
Large size cylinders, oxy about 5ft tall and acetylene about 4ft tall. All
empty and complete with valves.
Best use I can think of is to remove valves and concrete them in the ground
as fairly hefty bollards.
Any other thoughts please?

Daft isn't it. the people that can handle them and put them back to use
don't want know.
Presumably the scrappie is more concerned with H&S issues than the value
of the metal.

How about Gumtree for home users to get refilled?

OXY shaped cylinders use to be used for terrorist mortar launch tubes?
Not sure where you would advertise to attract their attention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick
writes
A chum has recently taken over some premises. Tucked away in a corner are
several empty gas cylinders.
No markings or id on cylinders. Some oxy and some acetylene.
He wants rid of them. Has been onto boc and ap but they are not interested.
Local scrappie none too interested either.
Large size cylinders, oxy about 5ft tall and acetylene about 4ft tall. All
empty and complete with valves.
Best use I can think of is to remove valves and concrete them in the ground
as fairly hefty bollards.
Any other thoughts please?

As no-one else has mentioned it, are you aware of the hazards
surrounding acetylene cylinders such as not lying them flat and the
acetone there are still likely to contain when gas empty?

I'm no expert, just thought I'd mention it.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
Nick wrote:
A chum has recently taken over some premises. Tucked away in a corner are
several empty gas cylinders.
No markings or id on cylinders. Some oxy and some acetylene.
He wants rid of them. Has been onto boc and ap but they are not interested.
Local scrappie none too interested either.
Large size cylinders, oxy about 5ft tall and acetylene about 4ft tall. All
empty and complete with valves.
Best use I can think of is to remove valves and concrete them in the ground
as fairly hefty bollards.
Any other thoughts please?

Daft isn't it. the people that can handle them and put them back to use
don't want know.

They know it would cost more to clean and verify they are still safe
than a new cylinder costs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
Nick wrote:
[...]

Don't forget that an 'empty' acetylene cylinder isn't actually empty. The
cylinder has a packing of diatomaceous earth, or previously asbestos, and
the gas is dissolved in acetone.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:38:33 PM UTC, Nick wrote:

Any other thoughts please?

Look for the owner's name engraved or stamped on the cylinder. They weren't usually sold but were hired out, due to the need for inspection and testing. Your chum shouldn't be disposing of them; in theory, they're not his. There's a similar situation with aluminium beer kegs.

Possession being 9/10th of the law, BOC (or whoever) may not want the hassle of collecting them since they're probably worthless. If there's a depot near him, he could drive in and unload them.

Old CO2 cylinders: what to do with them? Lobster UK diy 23 January 21st 20 03:39 AM
CO2 cylinders Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 8 December 29th 11 09:01 AM
Gas cylinders Keith Dunbar UK diy 3 July 8th 07 10:29 PM
hydraulic cylinders eight points or better Metalworking 6 December 4th 04 10:36 PM
Used Gas Cylinders Matt Metalworking 12 February 3rd 04 12:09 PM