Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom basin tap not working

My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/14 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

The plunger that carries the washer is often lifted by water pressure
alone and not by opening the tap directly - so teh shaft can get
corroded and stuck down.

Not sure how you open yours up...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

It will come apart somehow.
It appears to have flats on the crome below the knob so it will unscrew
there.
Use some plastic or soft metal on the spanner faces to protect the chrome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:42:51 +0000, "Dennis@home"
wrote:

On 02/12/2014 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

It will come apart somehow.
It appears to have flats on the crome below the knob so it will unscrew
there.
Use some plastic or soft metal on the spanner faces to protect the chrome.

It might be relevant so I'll mention that the cheap taps in the last
flat I rented had flats on the dome too - but they were a push fit
over the tap bases.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/12/14 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

The plunger that carries the washer is often lifted by water pressure
alone and not by opening the tap directly - so the shaft can get
corroded and stuck down.

Not sure how you open yours up...

Count the number of turns from off to as full on as they will go.
Compare hot and cold. if they are different, then sometime it is scale
creeping up the operating thread inside which in turn stop the jumper
lifting. Dismantle and soak in vinegar, rinse and re-grease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

It must have a gland :-)

Did a similar set today. Prize out or unscrew the bit that has 'hot'
printed on, underneath you will find a screw, usually phillips. Undo it.

Tap head should lift off, if not apply percussive force upwards.

The collar will either unscrew of lift off. Gland is there.

Most likely cause is the circlip allowing the plunger to go down too far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2014 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

It must have a gland :-)

Did a similar set today. Prize out or unscrew the bit that has 'hot'
printed on, underneath you will find a screw, usually phillips. Undo it.

Tap head should lift off, if not apply percussive force upwards.

The collar will either unscrew of lift off. Gland is there.

Most likely cause is the circlip allowing the plunger to go down too far.

Had similar problem on cold tap on a basin here the other day. Flow had
been getting less and less. Took it apart and the washer had spread
somewhat which seemed to be enough to stop it retracting into the top
part of the tap correctly - stalling the travel of the mechanism. Stuck
a new washer in it and it was fine again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman posted
On 02/12/2014 10:31, Big Les Wade wrote:
My bathroom basin is fitted with cheap taps from B&Q, brand name
Plumbsure Azure. Over the past few weeks the hot water flow has
gradually been slowing down and now it's stopped completely. The cold
water tap works OK, and so does the bath tap (which is supplied by the
same pipe as the basin tap).

Any ideas? The tap doesn't seem to have a gland, so I can't do the thing
about undoing the gland nut and changing the washer.

It must have a gland :-)

Did a similar set today. Prize out or unscrew the bit that has 'hot'
printed on, underneath you will find a screw, usually phillips. Undo it.

Tap head should lift off, if not apply percussive force upwards.

The collar will either unscrew of lift off. Gland is there.

Most likely cause is the circlip allowing the plunger to go down too far.

Yep, that was it. The structure of the tap isn't like the traditional
gland, but it did come apart with sufficient use of force, and sure
enough the plunger wasn't retracting properly. Silicone grease did the
rest. Thanks all.

A useful tip I learned today is to steady the horizontal part of the tap
with a box spanner while undoing the 'gland'. That prevents the tap
itself twisting on its sink mounting while you wrestle with the nut.

--
Les

Attaching a bathroom basin to a wall [email protected] UK diy 15 March 11th 06 01:54 PM
Leaky bathroom basin nrh UK diy 2 December 30th 05 05:53 PM
How to Cut Bathroom Wash Basin? Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 6 October 25th 05 03:39 AM
argh. my basin wrench isn't working KLS Home Ownership 7 July 25th 05 11:26 PM
freestanding bathroom sink basin JK Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 10:54 PM