Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

KLS

Default argh. my basin wrench isn't working

What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a
very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink? I need
to replace the supply lines and faucets to this beauty, but I can't
get the bolts off with my basin wrench! I can't get purchase or space
to actually wrench. Please guide me to other tools or techniques,
short of paying a plumber $32 to enter my house and then charge me
whatever the rate would be for the job. Thanks.
Charles Spitzer

"KLS" wrote in message
news
What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a
very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink? I need
to replace the supply lines and faucets to this beauty, but I can't
get the bolts off with my basin wrench! I can't get purchase or space
to actually wrench. Please guide me to other tools or techniques,
short of paying a plumber $32 to enter my house and then charge me
whatever the rate would be for the job. Thanks.

take off the other ends of the supply lines, and remove the sink? it's lots
easier to do this when the sink is upside down on a workbench.

Speedy Jim

KLS wrote:
What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a
very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink?

Drill thru the nuts. Then you can break them apart.
If you do this under the sink wear glasses!

There is a tool called "Nutbuster" you can buy too.

Jim
KLS

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:06:58 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
news
What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a
very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink? I need
to replace the supply lines and faucets to this beauty, but I can't
get the bolts off with my basin wrench! I can't get purchase or space
to actually wrench. Please guide me to other tools or techniques,
short of paying a plumber $32 to enter my house and then charge me
whatever the rate would be for the job. Thanks.

take off the other ends of the supply lines, and remove the sink? it's lots
easier to do this when the sink is upside down on a workbench.

True, but I'm going to try what an alt.home.repair poster suggested:
Dremel off the supply lines up to the frozen nuts, and then use
sockets with extenders to remove the nuts.

KLS

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:44:24 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

KLS wrote:
What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a
very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink?

Drill thru the nuts. Then you can break them apart.
If you do this under the sink wear glasses!

There is a tool called "Nutbuster" you can buy too.

Really? Now *THIS* is interesting. Thanks for your suggestion; I
definitely will check it out (gonna cut off the supply lines up to the
nuts and try the socket approach first). My neighborhood hardware
store guy, Ron, ought to know about the Nutbuster.

Baron

If your local hardware or plumbing supply parts store doesn'r carry the
nut-splitter, here's a web site I was given years ago. They still carry it.

http://www.seekonk.com/plumbstart.html

Good Luck.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:47:33 GMT, someone wrote:

short of paying a plumber $32 to enter my house and then charge me
whatever the rate would be for the job.

Wow, you can get a service call for only $32?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:44:24 -0400, someone wrote:

There is a tool called "Nutbuster" you can buy too.

Hey, that's my ex-wife!