Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Black Friday - WTF is it?

Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large
screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably
not even last year's model - but older still?

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large
screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably
not even last year's model - but older still?

Just greedy pigs taking whatever is in the trough. Would they understand a
specification?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:21:14 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large
screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably
not even last year's model - but older still?

It's a big TV. It's in the sale. It MUST be a good deal!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:21:14 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most of the people fighting over "stuff" were black. I think that's where
the name comes from. You know, Footlocker and whatnot. It's a cultural
thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large
screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably
not even last year's model - but older still?

The whole thing is fiction, a stunt promoted by the retailers. All those
people you see fighting over goods are being paid to do so, while the TV
people obligingly film them because it's a cheap way of producing news
footage. Everybody benefits.

One of the rioters in those reports was a PR guy I know who works for
John Lewis. He got paid double time for the job.

--
Les

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 19:07, Big Les Wade wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
Seeing one of those 'sales' on TV, people were fighting over a large
screen TV (40"+?) which was labelled HD ready on the box. So presumably
not even last year's model - but older still?

The whole thing is fiction, a stunt promoted by the retailers. All those
people you see fighting over goods are being paid to do so, while the TV
people obligingly film them because it's a cheap way of producing news
footage. Everybody benefits.

One of the rioters in those reports was a PR guy I know who works for
John Lewis. He got paid double time for the job.

Just as well nobody reads usenet. Could go viral on Twitter I imagine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Big Les Wade wrote:
The whole thing is fiction, a stunt promoted by the retailers. All those
people you see fighting over goods are being paid to do so, while the TV
people obligingly film them because it's a cheap way of producing news
footage. Everybody benefits.

Well, I know at least one person who went to one of these sales to buy
something. And wasn't paid to do so.

One of the rioters in those reports was a PR guy I know who works for
John Lewis. He got paid double time for the job.

Right. I'll match your one to my one.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Big Les Wade wrote:
The whole thing is fiction, a stunt promoted by the retailers. All those
people you see fighting over goods are being paid to do so, while the TV
people obligingly film them because it's a cheap way of producing news
footage. Everybody benefits.

Well, I know at least one person who went to one of these sales to buy
something. And wasn't paid to do so.

Did he riot though?

One of the rioters in those reports was a PR guy I know who works for
John Lewis. He got paid double time for the job.

Right. I'll match your one to my one.

Just to clarify, I *was* being ironic in that second paragraph.

--
Les

[OT] Black Friday - WTF is it? Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 42 December 1st 14 07:16 PM
More Black Friday sales HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 3 November 17th 11 02:06 AM
Lowes Black Friday Red Green Home Repair 56 November 24th 10 01:30 AM
Lowes Black Friday DGDevin Woodworking 0 November 15th 10 04:23 AM
Black Friday -- a different take [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 1st 09 12:35 AM