Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Black Friday - WTF is it?

It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

All I know is I have been deluged with SPAM about the bloody thing for
the last few days.

Can you all please remove me from your mailing lists. I use "throwaway"
email addresses for each vendor I deal with so you are looking for any
email address ending in:

redact personal stuff

Seriously - if I get any more SPAM, particularly in the levels I have
been experiencing I will cease doing business with the offenders.

This would be a shame in the specific case of Ocado, Lampspecs and
Porretta as they all are good businesses.

But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.

Thank you,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts put finger to keyboard:

[...]

Maybe the "Black" in Black Friday refers to your mood? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Just think yourself lucky we don't have thanksgiving yet!

BTW its black eye friday, well it is in asda and tesco..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

How did you manage to avoid it? It is a pre-emptive January sale
imported from the US where they celebrate Thanksgiving Day with vast
amounts of overcooked turkey and overdose on sickly sweet pumpkin pie.

Are retailers obliged to pay for the extra policing that their marketing
frenzy has provoked in deranged bargain hunters?

But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.

Thank you,

I expect it will get even worse when we become the 51st US state.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 28, 2014 12:39:01 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Given that it's more guff from the US, I'm surprised they're not calling it "Friday of Color".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many
of which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

All I know is I have been deluged with SPAM about the bloody thing for
the last few days.

Can you all please remove me from your mailing lists. I use "throwaway"
email addresses for each vendor I deal with so you are looking for any
email address ending in:

redact personal stuff

Seriously - if I get any more SPAM, particularly in the levels I have
been experiencing I will cease doing business with the offenders.

This would be a shame in the specific case of Ocado, Lampspecs and
Porretta as they all are good businesses.

I try to make sure I'm never signed up for marketing emails, so I've had
very few emails regarding it.

Bit annoying though when I wanted to go on a website and I can't because
it's been overloaded
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 12:48, Scion wrote:

Maybe the "Black" in Black Friday refers to your mood? ;-)

Pretty much ;-

It's rare I actually "get stroppy" dirctly with a supplier, but I've
found that when I have (and it's is well deserved - I will always be
polite in the case of a genuine mistake) they tend to come back quite
quickly.

Like when I moaned at MINI because they wanted an all day booking to
look at a knocking on SWMBO's Mini. All I wanted them to do was ramp it
and tell me if a spring was broken. I did not expect it fixed on the
spot. And the earliest they could look was in a week.

As it happened, I discovered a "shocks and brakes and tyres" place
called HiQ that I didn't know existed down the road. the owner (it's a
franchise) was decent, helpful and very smart about various common car
faults. He gave me a specific appointment the next day. 30 mins after
rolling up, they'd verified the sprinsg were fine and isolated the fault
to an anti roll bar bush which was not critical. However, they said
"factors up the road have the part, if you wait 50 mins we can fix it".
They did, and for £70 all in including the time they'd spent with 2
blokes on the ramp rocking it around to find the noise.

They just made themselves a customer for 2 cars for all the stuff they do

I would not have worried about a worn bush, but as I was out of there
for less than Mini would have charged for a diagnostic, I was happy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 12:52, Dennis@home wrote:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Just think yourself lucky we don't have thanksgiving yet!

So I can eat 2 turkeys?

******** to that...

BTW its black eye friday, well it is in asda and tesco..

I can imagine. Poor moron consumers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 13:45, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

How did you manage to avoid it? It is a pre-emptive January sale
imported from the US where they celebrate Thanksgiving Day with vast
amounts of overcooked turkey and overdose on sickly sweet pumpkin pie.

Are retailers obliged to pay for the extra policing that their marketing
frenzy has provoked in deranged bargain hunters?

But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.

Thank you,

I expect it will get even worse when we become the 51st US state.

We aren't already?

But that will **** off Jose Barrosso.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 14:39, jake wrote:

But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.

Thank you,

Given that it's more guff from the US, I'm surprised they're not calling it "Friday of Color".

ha ha very good.. Yes another crap US import - like US'zed halloween.

At least halloween can be fun in a well behaved village community where
people knows what's expected of them (ie we do not bother people who
don't have a pumpkin out). I enjoyed taking the kids out - going as
either Dracula or the Grim Reaper or Charon next year

Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something for
DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 14:39, Chris French wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

I always tick/untick the boxes as appropriate - hasn't stopped the
*******s though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

It's a US marketing scam that has come over to the UK

Retail outlets sell goods at a "discount" on Black Friday. In reality
the price they are charging is the same as it was last week, last month
and higher than the price they will charge in January.

I see that an item I purchased last week is now has a MASSIVE 30% off --
which matches exactly the price I paid with the previous "we pay the VAT
and postage" offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Y'know our Boxing Day sales? Digest the turkey by queueing up for ****
you don't want or need?

It's that. But a month early.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

Ah, that would be annoying.

I've not had any unexpected ones, including not Ocado. Maybe they think
I'm to much of a skinflint. :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 17:08, Chris French wrote:

I've not had any unexpected ones, including not Ocado. Maybe they think
I'm to much of a skinflint. :-)

Yes - Ocado. Sometimes they send me a Voucher for 1p. I kid you not!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

Email:

"Scion" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 18:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

I bought a new mitre saw stand in the sale.
Saved me a few quid.
I am wondering how the wife will wrap it now its out of the box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/14 18:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

+1 mate...

For you I guess it's worse having to let your PC plod through a voice
synth on each bloody spam email.

Probably like me listening to a voicemail:

1) Please type your PIN.

2) You have 1 message.

3) First message:

"Silence... Oh hello, I sent you an email and/or a text about something
K THX BYE"

4) Message deleted.

3 minutes of my life gone...

And I'd already seen the text and the email!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

It's a US marketing scam that has come over to the UK

Retail outlets sell goods at a "discount" on Black Friday. In reality
the price they are charging is the same as it was last week, last month
and higher than the price they will charge in January.

I see that an item I purchased last week is now has a MASSIVE 30% off --
which matches exactly the price I paid with the previous "we pay the VAT
and postage" offer.

Several people on my ISP's IRC channel were intending to buy things
today from technology companies (such as SSDs), only they found they're
more expensive than they were yesterday!

I had an SMS from Vodafone with a URL to check for their Black Friday
special offers. I think they forgot to enable it - the URL just gives
"Forbidden". What a cock-up!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 19:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
alan_m writes:
[...]

O for a universal camelcamelcamel-type history of retail prices.

The original legal requirement for goods to have been on sale on Rockall
for five minutes sometime in the last six years for personal callers
only requirements have been so comprehensively worked around, we need
something else. I suggest "retailers must show full price history of
everything they sell and this must be as readily accessible as
everything else on their websites" and even "and can be used by anyone
else for any purpose they want". Hey - Gridwatch for retail!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:14:07 +0000, "Dennis@home"
wrote:

On 28/11/2014 18:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

I bought a new mitre saw stand in the sale.
Saved me a few quid.
I am wondering how the wife will wrap it up now that it's out of its box.

I'd imagine very carefully if it's got any sharp edges or corners.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/11/2014 18:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

I bought a new mitre saw stand in the sale.
Saved me a few quid.
I am wondering how the wife will wrap it up now that it's out of its box.

I'd imagine very carefully if it's got any sharp edges or corners.

Can't see any sharp bits.
Its the Evolution one and it was cheaper than the evo_outlet are doing
them (they are £50).
They were in Screwfix for £50 too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:56:27 +0000, polygonum wrote:

I suggest "retailers must show full price history of
everything they sell and this must be as readily accessible as
everything else on their websites" and even "and can be used by anyone
else for any purpose they want". Hey - Gridwatch for retail!

Quidwatch?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Well in simple terms its US crap finding its way into UK culture ...
Black Friday is the start of Xmas in US as its the day after
Thanksgiving holiday.
Most of US has day off and go spend.

We will probably start having Thanksgiving specials in UK soon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-29, rick wrote:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Well in simple terms its US crap finding its way into UK culture ...
Black Friday is the start of Xmas in US as its the day after
Thanksgiving holiday.
Most of US has day off and go spend.

We will probably start having Thanksgiving specials in UK soon

If we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK, wouldn't it be on July 4th?

:-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like Tottenham Riots but without the fires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message ...

On 28/11/14 14:39, jake wrote:

But I've had enough with wading through marketing cr*p.

Thank you,

Given that it's more guff from the US, I'm surprised they're not calling
it "Friday of Color".

ha ha very good.. Yes another crap US import - like US'zed halloween.

At least halloween can be fun in a well behaved village community where
people knows what's expected of them (ie we do not bother people who don't
have a pumpkin out). I enjoyed taking the kids out - going as either
Dracula or the Grim Reaper or Charon next year

Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something for
DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if you
are a supporter of that other American travesty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
At least halloween can be fun in a well behaved village community where
people knows what's expected of them (ie we do not bother people who
don't have a pumpkin out). I enjoyed taking the kids out - going as
either Dracula or the Grim Reaper or Charon next year

Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something
for DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if
you are a supporter of that other American travesty.

Halloween - as you might guess by the name - was celebrated in Scotland
before 'America' was discovered. It was mass immigration of the Scots to
America in the 19th century which made it popular there.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 28, 2014 7:14:09 PM UTC, Dennis@home wrote:
I bought a new mitre saw stand in the sale.
Saved me a few quid.
I am wondering how the wife will wrap it now its out of the box.

Hide it in a corner of the lounge with a cloth over it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/11/2014 18:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I am fed up with it and the way the UK public seem to have bought into
it this year. Its just a made up date thats all. It used to be the january
sales, then it all started on Boxing Day, now the US has imported its day
after Thanksgiving bun fight, and its not amusing at all.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so it might as well be any old day they
want to get shot of stock they cannot shift.
Brian

I bought a new mitre saw stand in the sale.
Saved me a few quid.
I am wondering how the wife will wrap it up now that it's out of its box.

I'd imagine very carefully if it's got any sharp edges or corners.

Can't see any sharp bits.

I neither knew nor cared, just offering my best guess at answering
your question. :-)

Now that you've revealed the lack of any sharp edges or corners, I'll
amend my reply to "Very Nicely?" :-)

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. ;-)
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/29/2014 8:38 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Richard wrote:
At least halloween can be fun in a well behaved village community where
people knows what's expected of them (ie we do not bother people who
don't have a pumpkin out). I enjoyed taking the kids out - going as
either Dracula or the Grim Reaper or Charon next year

Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something
for DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if
you are a supporter of that other American travesty.

Halloween - as you might guess by the name - was celebrated in Scotland
before 'America' was discovered. It was mass immigration of the Scots to
America in the 19th century which made it popular there.

And pumpkins are much easier to carve than turnips, which were the
original Hallowe'en lanterns.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Halloween - as you might guess by the name - was celebrated in
Scotland before 'America' was discovered. It was mass immigration of
the Scots to America in the 19th century which made it popular there.

And pumpkins are much easier to carve than turnips, which were the
original Hallowe'en lanterns.

They last longer too. ;-)

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-29, rick wrote:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Well in simple terms its US crap finding its way into UK culture ...
Black Friday is the start of Xmas in US as its the day after
Thanksgiving holiday.
Most of US has day off and go spend.

We will probably start having Thanksgiving specials in UK soon

If we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK, wouldn't it be on July 4th?

Nah, a best guess for such celebrations would be the 6th of September
according to the wikipedia article he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower#Early_history
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:37:47 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

All I know is I have been deluged with SPAM about the bloody thing for
the last few days.

Can you all please remove me from your mailing lists.

OOI one of the firms I unsubscribed getting emails from had a survey
box asking why I was doing so wich I duly filled in.

Did any of the ones you deal with come up with anything similar?

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

#####

Oi, you lot!

Black Friday - never heard of it before.

How did you manage to avoid it? It is a pre-emptive January sale imported
from the US

Yeah, I think most of us got that

the point is no-one has ever shoved this down out throat BEFORE this year

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/14 13:19, Richard wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message ...

Black Friday is just another bloody sale. I guess it gives something
for DFS to pop in between "End of Summer Sale" and "Boxing Day".

Sorry. You forfeit the right to whine and whinge about Black Friday if
you are a supporter of that other American travesty.

OK...

Haloween looks like:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...-revealed.html

or

http://alisonyin.com/blog_posts/09/1...eampunk-02.jpg

depending on your angle.

ie good fun, excuse to dress up, well, or badly(!) and generally have fun.

The other looks like a bunch of derros fighting over the last Ginsters
pie at a soup kitchen.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...24904339-1.jpg

Sorry for not spotting the obvious similarity!

;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 November 2014 14:44:40 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/11/14 12:52, Dennis@home wrote:
On 28/11/2014 11:37, Tim Watts wrote:
It has just angered me enough to send this email to 8 suppliers, many of
which I do regular business with:

Just think yourself lucky we don't have thanksgiving yet!

So I can eat 2 turkeys?

******** to that...

BTW its black eye friday, well it is in asda and tesco..

I can imagine. Poor moron consumers...

I really wouldn;t want to be in a shop with those consumers....
they acted like animals (untrained animals) my cat behaves better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/14 18:48, stuart noble wrote:

Cats are class

Cats eat your food and would then happily claw your head off and ****
down your windpipe as soon as look at you...

Black Friday fun at Walmart Bob Gadget Home Repair 3 November 26th 11 11:21 PM
Lowes Black Friday Red Green Home Repair 56 November 24th 10 01:30 AM
Lowes Black Friday DGDevin Woodworking 0 November 15th 10 04:23 AM
Black Friday -- a different take [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 1st 09 12:35 AM
Better sales: Black Friday vs. 1/2/10 ? Existential Angst Home Repair 7 November 26th 09 06:25 AM