Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why does everything seem to come with wires these days?

A friend has been buying lights and other diy fittable electrical stuff,
and was bemoaning the current trend to stick short bits of cable on
everything. Most can be removed, but not all.
Is there some actual logic to this trend, or is it just that they think its
helpful?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

A friend has been buying lights and other diy fittable electrical stuff,
and was bemoaning the current trend to stick short bits of cable on
everything.

Yeah, noticed that myself.

Most can be removed, but not all.

True.

Is there some actual logic to this trend,

Likely. It’s a lot easier to put a plug on that than to put
a cable and plug into something that isnt done that way.

or is it just that they think its helpful?

Likely its both.

I don’t care for it myself, I prefer to do the cable into the
device using one of the moulded cables that I have plenty
of surplus cables lying around, but I can see that many don’t.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:43:12 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

A friend has been buying lights and other diy fittable electrical stuff,
and was bemoaning the current trend to stick short bits of cable on
everything. Most can be removed, but not all.
Is there some actual logic to this trend, or is it just that they think its
helpful?

One very good reason for supplying electrical fittings with
pre-connected wire/cable tails for the convenience of the customer is
in cases, such as 100W rated incandescent light fittings, that mandate
the use of high temperature rated insulation on the connecting wires.

However, the supplied fitting instructions should make it clear to
the end user that the short wire/cable tail is a vital part of the
safety requirement to permit connection into normal household wiring.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Have they never heard of grommets?

Grommets don’t do a damned thing about the
advantage of a proper moulded plug on the cable
instead of a plug hand wired onto the cable instead.

You don’t need grommets when the wire goes in a
hole in a die cast housing instead of a hole drilled in
sheet metal. That die cast housing does the cable
clamp as well when designed properly.

What can be a problem is not enough space in the
device so that connecting the cable can be a lot more
work than putting a plug on the free end of the wire.

Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

A friend has been buying lights and other diy fittable electrical
stuff, and was bemoaning the current trend to stick short bits of cable
on everything.

Yeah, noticed that myself.

Most can be removed, but not all.

True.

Is there some actual logic to this trend,

Likely. It’s a lot easier to put a plug on that than to put
a cable and plug into something that isnt done that way.

or is it just that they think its helpful?

Likely its both.

I don’t care for it myself, I prefer to do the cable into the
device using one of the moulded cables that I have plenty
of surplus cables lying around, but I can see that many don’t.

There are 4 wires in the box [email protected] Home Repair 14 April 24th 12 01:41 PM
Wires... CaveLamb Metalworking 36 July 23rd 11 07:35 PM
Adding new Circuits to Room Addition... 2 wires or 2 wires + Ground? [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 20th 08 10:58 PM
Add new wires tom Home Repair 4 August 11th 05 03:22 PM
Grounding Of Ground Wires In An Electrical Gang Box (how to handle the green ground wires) Robert11 Home Repair 7 March 8th 05 03:45 PM