Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

Default Ledgends of DIY #2: Reg Prescott

Ok, we've done Barry Bucknell. Younger enthusiasts of our hobby may not
have known about Barry, but they may remember this other somewhat
accident-prone DIYer and his escapades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7l1QAe_es

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:

Sorry, *Legends* !!

That's yer feet.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 01:54:33 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

cd wrote:

Sorry, *Legends* !!

That's yer feet.

Bill

Michael Foot - a legend in his own time.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. .

cd wrote:

Sorry, *Legends* !!

That's yer feet.

Bill

Michael Foot - a legend in his own time.

Yeah, no one else ****ed up as comprehensively as he did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This thread reminded me of a guy with a Scandinavian accent who seemed to
know all about almost every cars problems. He did phone ins and some local
tv stuff at one time many years ago. I found it fascinating even though I
never had a car. Things like the heat from the engine evaporating the fuel
in a line which went over a hot part of an engine making it not start
reliably etc.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
.. .

cd wrote:

Sorry, *Legends* !!

That's yer feet.

Bill

Michael Foot - a legend in his own time.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ok, we've done Barry Bucknell. Younger enthusiasts of our hobby may not
have known about Barry, but they may remember this other somewhat
accident-prone DIYer and his escapades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7l1QAe_es

Or for pure farce try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUtxOpASRzQ

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-26, Muddymike wrote:

Or for pure farce try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUtxOpASRzQ

I remember that show. I also like Red Green's "Handyman Corner";
here's an idea for an automatic lawnmower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkk-sOo8Hqw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
This thread reminded me of a guy with a Scandinavian accent who seemed to
know all about almost every cars problems. He did phone ins and some
local tv stuff at one time many years ago. I found it fascinating even
though I never had a car. Things like the heat from the engine
evaporating the fuel in a line which went over a hot part of an engine
making it not start reliably etc.

Hillman Imp?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hillman Imp?

Hillman Limp?
I bought a Californian at the Camberley auction house about 40 years ago. Ex
police car in fair nick and low mileage.
Turned out that the car had had been modded by Surrey police as a potential
Q car. Flowed head and manifolds, Weber carb, improved exhaust, stiffer
suspension, slightly wider wheels etc. It didn't look out of the ordinary.
Rejected by the powers that be as insufficient room for hats to be worn and
lack of room for any arrested persons.
That car was fast. IIRC the speedo went to 90mph and this thing would
happily go well off the speedo.
All with that dreadful little Coventry Climax (converted) lump.
Only had it a couple of months before it was stolen. Used in a bank robbery
and found some while later under 30ft of water in a local gravel pit.
Ho hum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick
wrote:

Hillman Imp?

Hillman Limp? I bought a Californian at the Camberley auction house about
40 years ago. Ex police car in fair nick and low mileage. Turned out
that the car had had been modded by Surrey police as a potential Q car.
Flowed head and manifolds, Weber carb, improved exhaust, stiffer
suspension, slightly wider wheels etc. It didn't look out of the
ordinary. Rejected by the powers that be as insufficient room for hats to
be worn and lack of room for any arrested persons. That car was fast.
IIRC the speedo went to 90mph and this thing would happily go well off
the speedo. All with that dreadful little Coventry Climax (converted)
lump. Only had it a couple of months before it was stolen. Used in a bank
robbery and found some while later under 30ft of water in a local gravel
pit. Ho hum.

The "Imp" I liked had a 1.6l Lotus Cortina on the back seat. Unless you
looked inside the only give away was the "twin Cam by Lotus" badge on the
back. It featured in various motor rallies in Surrey in the late 60s.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
This thread reminded me of a guy with a Scandinavian accent who seemed to
know all about almost every cars problems. He did phone ins and some local
tv stuff at one time many years ago. I found it fascinating even though I
never had a car. Things like the heat from the engine evaporating the fuel
in a line which went over a hot part of an engine making it not start
reliably etc.

We had a 1948 Morris Commercial that did that, so you had to keep the
petrol flowing or you were stuck. My dad zoomed past an Edinburgh cop on
point duty and with his right hand up with the shouted explanation,
"Can't stop, faulty engine!" We escaped back to England without being
apprehended.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:52:35 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

All with that dreadful little Coventry Climax (converted) lump.

Heathen! Go wash your mouth out!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 03:05:38 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

We had a 1948 Morris Commercial that did that, so you had to keep the
petrol flowing or you were stuck. My dad zoomed past an Edinburgh cop on
point duty and with his right hand up with the shouted explanation,
"Can't stop, faulty engine!" We escaped back to England without being
apprehended.

And the crazy thing is, the cop probably thought: "oh, faulty engine,
fair enough."
Kids today don't have a clue how free and easy everything used to be once
upon a time here in Britain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:05:58 AM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
We had a 1948 Morris Commercial that did that, so you had to keep the
petrol flowing or you were stuck. My dad zoomed past an Edinburgh cop on
point duty and with his right hand up with the shouted explanation,
"Can't stop, faulty engine!" We escaped back to England without being
apprehended.

It would probably be cheaper anyway to pay a fine to the police than to stop and be nabbed by an Edinburgh parking warden.

Owain

Mr. Prescott Ahti Kurki Home Repair 0 February 5th 09 03:23 AM
Prescott... Chris Bacon UK diy 201 May 17th 06 02:32 AM
Prescott plans a new disaster for house sales Christopher Booker Telegraph Ophelia UK diy 55 January 30th 06 11:23 AM