Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preventing mildew stains on a panel with a towel hook

As mentioned in my previous post about "clear" varnish that is
actually yellowish, we have had a problem with mildew stains gradually
forming on a wooden panel in the bathroom where the hand-towel hangs.

I've repainted the panel & am going to repaint the yellowish test area
white again & then slap a few coats of clear [1] acrylic varnish over
it & put the towel hook back up. What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

[1] Really clear --- I've done another test area, smaller this time!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 21:46, Adam Funk wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post about "clear" varnish that is
actually yellowish, we have had a problem with mildew stains gradually
forming on a wooden panel in the bathroom where the hand-towel hangs.

I've repainted the panel & am going to repaint the yellowish test area
white again & then slap a few coats of clear [1] acrylic varnish over
it & put the towel hook back up. What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

[1] Really clear --- I've done another test area, smaller this time!

Use a rail that keeps the towel away from the panel. That is, an air gap
behind the towel.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:00:06 PM UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

Install a hot air hand dryer.

Or a roller towel on the back of the door.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:00:06 PM UTC, Adam Funk wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post about "clear" varnish that is
actually yellowish, we have had a problem with mildew stains gradually
forming on a wooden panel in the bathroom where the hand-towel hangs.

I've repainted the panel & am going to repaint the yellowish test area
white again & then slap a few coats of clear [1] acrylic varnish over
it & put the towel hook back up. What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

[1] Really clear --- I've done another test area, smaller this time!

Add to the paint borax, copper sulphate (green), zinc sulphate or aspirin. Borax & ZnSO4 can also be used in clear water based varnishes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
As mentioned in my previous post about "clear" varnish that is
actually yellowish, we have had a problem with mildew stains gradually
forming on a wooden panel in the bathroom where the hand-towel hangs.

I've repainted the panel & am going to repaint the yellowish test area
white again & then slap a few coats of clear [1] acrylic varnish over
it & put the towel hook back up. What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

[1] Really clear --- I've done another test area, smaller this time!

Tiles are best in the bathroom.
Wood will always be a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-24, harryagain wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
As mentioned in my previous post about "clear" varnish that is
actually yellowish, we have had a problem with mildew stains gradually
forming on a wooden panel in the bathroom where the hand-towel hangs.

I've repainted the panel & am going to repaint the yellowish test area
white again & then slap a few coats of clear [1] acrylic varnish over
it & put the towel hook back up. What else can I do to prevent stains
from gradually forming there?

[1] Really clear --- I've done another test area, smaller this time!

Tiles are best in the bathroom.
Wood will always be a problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with this --- but I am stuck in
this case with my design mistakes from years ago. I'm going to try
several coats of acrylic varnish & remembering to wipe the board clean
frequently as a preventive measure.