Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Barrier between polystyrene and PVC cables

I have polystyrene insulation around the edges of my floors (concrete screed, former underfloor heating). I am laying PVC cables (mains, telephone, data, satellite) around the edges of the rooms to be covered by a skirting front.

I need a barrier between the PVC cables and the polystyrene insulation. Some sort of plastic sheet that I can cut into strips and lay under the cables.

However what sort of material will be non-reactive with both PVC and polysytrene, and come possibly in sheets which I can cut down to strips about 4" wide?

I have considered using just a couple of layers of newspaper.

Cheap is always attractive.

TIA

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 14, 2014 11:01:39 AM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
It's not really permitted to install cables behind skirting.
Have you considered using skirting trunking?

I'm making my own skirting trunking :-) but it's open backed.

Most of the cables are actually below floor surface level in the gap between the screed and the wall.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
On Friday, November 14, 2014 11:01:39 AM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
It's not really permitted to install cables behind skirting.
Have you considered using skirting trunking?

I'm making my own skirting trunking :-) but it's open backed.

Most of the cables are actually below floor surface level in the gap between the
screed and the wall.

Is it clean enough for a tape to stick?

I was thinking of wide duct tape but maybe this:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p50509

Alternatively, is you prefer non-adhesive then warning or barrier tape
would save cutting strips:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p87448

Newspaper is traditional and your floor sounds as if it has been done
properly but it will hold moisture if there is any dampness or in case
of spills.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 November 2014 10:48:14 UTC, wrote:
I have polystyrene insulation around the edges of my floors (concrete screed,
former underfloor heating). I am laying PVC cables (mains, telephone, data,
satellite) around the edges of the rooms to be covered by a skirting front.

I need a barrier between the PVC cables and the polystyrene insulation.
Some sort of plastic sheet that I can cut into strips and lay under the
cables.

However what sort of material will be non-reactive with both PVC and
polysytrene, and come possibly in sheets which I can cut down to strips
about 4" wide?

Polythene?

Cheap is always attractive.

If you happen to have some left-over DPC, I'd use that. (Not cheap to buy
though.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Martin Bonner writes
On Friday, 14 November 2014 10:48:14 UTC, wrote:
I have polystyrene insulation around the edges of my floors (concrete screed,
former underfloor heating). I am laying PVC cables (mains, telephone, data,
satellite) around the edges of the rooms to be covered by a skirting front.

I need a barrier between the PVC cables and the polystyrene insulation.
Some sort of plastic sheet that I can cut into strips and lay under the
cables.

However what sort of material will be non-reactive with both PVC and
polysytrene, and come possibly in sheets which I can cut down to strips
about 4" wide?

Polythene?

Cheap is always attractive.

If you happen to have some left-over DPC, I'd use that. (Not cheap to buy
though.)

Easy to cut to width from the roll.

--
Tim Lamb