AlexW

Default Polystyrene & Cables Again

Are any types of cable resistant to damage over time due to contact with
EPS and/or mortar. If so ... how do I identify?

I am asking this as electrician first-fixing my conservatory mentioned
something or other (I forget what!) when I suggested not stuffing
ordinary t+e next to the EPS insulation and mortar.

Ordinary looking t+e is now stuffed next to EPS and may be in contact
with mortar. Hmmmmmm....

TIA & Regards,

Alex.
BigWallop

"AlexW" wrote in message
Are any types of cable resistant to damage over time due to contact with
EPS and/or mortar. If so ... how do I identify?

I am asking this as electrician first-fixing my conservatory mentioned
something or other (I forget what!) when I suggested not stuffing
ordinary t+e next to the EPS insulation and mortar.

Ordinary looking t+e is now stuffed next to EPS and may be in contact
with mortar. Hmmmmmm....

TIA & Regards,

Alex.

PVC and Butyl coatings all break down through time, and more so if in
contact with mineral salts in stone or the like. That's why it's always
advisable to make cables good in a pipe when it passes through walls and
things.

You should also make sure that no rough, jagged edges on stonework or brick
can cause damage to the cables, especially if the cables may have loadings
that cause them to expand and contract in differing temperature conditions.