Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit knock-outs on the sides?

Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adam Funk
writes
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html

The trade deal with this by having a 20mm holesaw (with centre drill) in
their toolkit :-)

Kind of obvious when you think of it but it was like an epiphany when I
first saw it (2nd year apprentices are generally less impressed, or so I
hear).

I imagine they have a 25mm one too for the reverse situation.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html

Just put the socket sideways, I'm assuming it will be in a workshop or
similar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov 2014, Adam Funk grunted:

Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

I dunno; but on a related note...
I'm currently wiring up some sound-surround speakers with flush-fitted
cables, and am using these light-switch boxes:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P...ze_3/AP623.JPG

These are the shallow ones that have a single pre-formed oval hole, which
has rounded-off edges to avoid chafing cables and not using a grommet.
However, in the other sides they also have knock-outs for two side-by-side
holes; these by definition won't have smoothed edges and won't fit a
grommet.

I'm curious to know how these are supposed to be used? Just 'carefully'?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left& right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html

Not that I found. I built a jig as I had 20 or so to do and used a 4mm
pilot with a stepped hole cutter in the bench drill. This gave a very
good finish and the holes ended up in the right place!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message
news

Just fit it like an electrician ie at any ****ing angle but level.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 20:08, Lobster wrote:
[...]

No - not "carefully".

IIRC a 20mm round grommet will fit the oval holes. If not, take a 25mm
round grommet, cut it and use it to line the edges, trimming to length.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/14 20:55, ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
news

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html

Just put the socket sideways, I'm assuming it will be in a workshop or
similar?

Just fit it like an electrician ie at any ****ing angle but level.

And do it up like a kitchen fitter - ie don't bother because you don't
happen to have long enough screws. After all, it doesn't matter if the
FCU is behind an appliance that it's hanging off the wall!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-12, fred wrote:

In article , Adam Funk
writes
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit
knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)?
Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the fixing
screws go), but below the screws, like some of the knock-outs in steel
flush-mount boxes.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP655.html

The trade deal with this by having a 20mm holesaw (with centre drill) in
their toolkit :-)

Kind of obvious when you think of it but it was like an epiphany when I
first saw it (2nd year apprentices are generally less impressed, or so I
hear).

I imagine they have a 25mm one too for the reverse situation.

OK, I could probably do with a holesaw set anyway, although I'll have
to shop carefully --- the last time I bought one, I had to take it
back as I found that the core was too big for my drill chuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adam Funk
writes

OK, I could probably do with a holesaw set anyway, although I'll have
to shop carefully --- the last time I bought one, I had to take it
back as I found that the core was too big for my drill chuck.

I've never found the sets to have exactly what I wanted so have bought
individuals when I need them.

As an aside, have you noticed on Toolstation (& prob others) that you
can find what you need near the top of a page at a higher price than
apparently equivalent others further down.

Very noticeable in your case:

Expensive £14.13:
83315 PUNK Holesaw Arbor Hex 14mm-30mm Each £5.34
92947 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £3.84
27763 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £4.95

Cheap £6.31:
42954 Holesaw Arbor Hex 14 -30mm Each £2.06
28605 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £2.00
56846 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £2.25

Cheap still claims to be "Heavy duty, for industrial use". Ok 'punk'
brand claims higher a specified cobalt content but for a few boxes . . .

You'll probably find they drill oversize and leave the hole a bit rough
but the grommets (or conduit fittings) should cover any sins. Plus go
easy on the pressure to avoid the knockouts being disturbed.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Adam Funk
writes

OK, I could probably do with a holesaw set anyway, although I'll have
to shop carefully --- the last time I bought one, I had to take it
back as I found that the core was too big for my drill chuck.

I've never found the sets to have exactly what I wanted so have bought
individuals when I need them.

As an aside, have you noticed on Toolstation (& prob others) that you
can find what you need near the top of a page at a higher price than
apparently equivalent others further down.

Very noticeable in your case:

Expensive £14.13:
83315 PUNK Holesaw Arbor Hex 14mm-30mm Each £5.34
92947 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £3.84
27763 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £4.95

Cheap £6.31:
42954 Holesaw Arbor Hex 14 -30mm Each £2.06
28605 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £2.00
56846 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £2.25

Except the Bosch ones further down the page are more expensive than the
PUNK ones, so don't really support your theory
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris French
writes
In message , fred writes

Expensive £14.13:
83315 PUNK Holesaw Arbor Hex 14mm-30mm Each £5.34
92947 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £3.84
27763 PUNK Bi-Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £4.95

Cheap £6.31:
42954 Holesaw Arbor Hex 14 -30mm Each £2.06
28605 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 20mm Each £2.00
56846 M3 Bi Metal Holesaw 25mm Each £2.25

Except the Bosch ones further down the page are more expensive than the
PUNK ones, so don't really support your theory

The fact that a cheaper alternative is available further down the page
was the point and is accurate.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .