Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bending spectacles

Got some new reading and distance specs. recently. The reading ones are OK
as the frames are metal, but I need to 'adjust' the distance ones as my ears
are not level by about 5mm (having one that's low is bad enough, but the
other one being high just makes it worse).

Now, the 'droid in Tescrot Opticians had a go with a special hot-air thingy
and at that point I rather lost trust: first of all, heating the bridge
might damage the lenses and also only twisting, therefore putting the lenses
out of plane, would work; the second factor was that she was trying it on
the metal frames!

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 09:40, PeterC wrote:
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.

To help observe metamerism? :-)

I have always simply kept squidging mine around without any heating
until they are comfortable enough and positioned well enough for me to
stop trying to improve them.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently. Want
me to email him for you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
Got some new reading and distance specs. recently. The reading ones are OK
as the frames are metal, but I need to 'adjust' the distance ones as my ears
are not level by about 5mm (having one that's low is bad enough, but the
other one being high just makes it worse).

Now, the 'droid in Tescrot Opticians had a go with a special hot-air thingy
and at that point I rather lost trust: first of all, heating the bridge
might damage the lenses and also only twisting, therefore putting the lenses
out of plane, would work; the second factor was that she was trying it on
the metal frames!

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.

AFAIK They use some kind of hot air thing in our local specsavers to
bend the arms on plastic specs. I'd have tought a hot air gun on the
side arm would work ok.

Or pop into another opticians and let them have a go? I've been into
random opticians before to have small repairs etc. done and they have
always been helpful and never charged me.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 13:36, Chris French wrote:
In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

+1 Any Good opticians should see too it for you, and choose a better one
when you replace your current spectacles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:40:08 +0000, PeterC wrote:

Got some new reading and distance specs. recently. The reading ones are
OK as the frames are metal, but I need to 'adjust' the distance ones as
my ears are not level by about 5mm (having one that's low is bad enough,
but the other one being high just makes it worse).

Will the joint bend? Bit risky as the fine metal parts can break if you
mess too much but you should get away with a couple of degrees.

first of all, heating the
bridge might damage the lenses and also only twisting, therefore putting
the lenses out of plane, would work; the second factor was that she was
trying it on the metal frames!

The lenses will be OK in the heat as long as they are not coated but you
are correct that ideally they should be in the same plane vertically.

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a
pound-shop pair that are very similar and it has no effect.

Plastic sides usually have a metal 'rod' down the middle, worth trying
bending one of them downwards about an inch from where it meets the ear,
might take a good yank but they will bend, should stay put and virtually
impossible to bust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:25:05 +0000, ARW wrote:

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently.
Want me to email him for you?

I post infrequently but have a read most days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 10:15:30 +0000, polygonum wrote:

On 09/11/2014 09:40, PeterC wrote:
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.

To help observe metamerism? :-)

I have always simply kept squidging mine around without any heating
until they are comfortable enough and positioned well enough for me to
stop trying to improve them.

This is hard plastic and a wide, flat section - sqidging won't 'ack it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 13:36:21 +0000, Chris French wrote:

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.

AFAIK They use some kind of hot air thing in our local specsavers to
bend the arms on plastic specs. I'd have tought a hot air gun on the
side arm would work ok.

I mean to get a hot-air gun next time there's one at Aldidl.

Or pop into another opticians and let them have a go? I've been into
random opticians before to have small repairs etc. done and they have
always been helpful and never charged me.

Knowing my luck...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 16:32:29 +0000, Broadback wrote:

AFAIK They use some kind of hot air thing in our local specsavers to
bend the arms on plastic specs. I'd have tought a hot air gun on the
side arm would work ok.

Or pop into another opticians and let them have a go? I've been into
random opticians before to have small repairs etc. done and they have
always been helpful and never charged me.

+1 Any Good opticians should see too it for you, and choose a better one
when you replace your current spectacles.

Yes - it's finding a decent one that doesn't charge silly money. 2-for-1 +
acouple of extras (bifocal on one and anti-reflective on t'other) set me
back 130 squids as it was.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:25:05 -0000, ARW wrote:

Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.
--

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently. Want
me to email him for you?

Please, Adam. Going back to Tesco is a last resort.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"R D S" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:25:05 +0000, ARW wrote:

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently.
Want me to email him for you?

I post infrequently but have a read most days.

:-)

Other reply to this post noted.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
[...]

But may not be too keen on doing that with glasses you got from china for
peanuts.

and choose a better one when you replace your current spectacles.

Makes more sense to get them dirt cheap from china and get
the arms done in the stuff that is easy to DIY behind the ears.

My metal frame glasses have plastic arms that go behind the
ears and are easy to adjust so the glasses don’t fall forward
when you bend over to look at something close up and come
in a range of arm lengths so you can get the arm length off
the previous glasses and get the same size again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 16:32:29 +0000, Broadback wrote:

AFAIK They use some kind of hot air thing in our local specsavers to
bend the arms on plastic specs. I'd have tought a hot air gun on the
side arm would work ok.

Or pop into another opticians and let them have a go? I've been into
random opticians before to have small repairs etc. done and they have
always been helpful and never charged me.

+1 Any Good opticians should see too it for you, and choose a better one
when you replace your current spectacles.

Yes - it's finding a decent one that doesn't charge silly money. 2-for-1 +
acouple of extras (bifocal on one and anti-reflective on t'other) set me
back 130 squids as it was.

Time to get them from China. Trivial to do, works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:25:05 -0000, ARW wrote:

Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.
--

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently.
Want
me to email him for you?

Please, Adam. Going back to Tesco is a last resort.

It shouldn't be, when you paid so much for them, they
have to make them work or give you your money back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:25:05 -0000, ARW wrote:

Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.
--

Well RDS is our resident optician but he only posts here infrequently.
Want
me to email him for you?

Please, Adam. Going back to Tesco is a last resort.

No need. RDS has posted twice on this thread.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 9:40:11 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?

Glasses Direct [1] has this information/videos:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/help-...-your-glasses/

(I recently got 2-for-£25 on an offer but they weren't bifocal.)

Owain

[1] Are they uk.d-i-y's preferred supplier for binocular eyewear?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:07:06 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 9:40:11 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a
pound-shop pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?

Glasses Direct [1] has this information/videos:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/help-...-your-glasses/

(I recently got 2-for-£25 on an offer but they weren't bifocal.)

Owain

[1] Are they uk.d-i-y's preferred supplier for binocular eyewear?

I've just started doing the supply* for this venture, run by a guy who
lives just down the road from me.
http://www.onlineopticiansuk.com/

I'll obviously benefit from any sales he makes so this is a shameless
plug, have a look over his site and if you have any feedback i'll pass it
on.

*That is genuinely the limit of my involvement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

http://www.onlineopticiansuk.com/

have a look over his site and if you have any feedback i'll pass it
on.

Quite a lot of the text feels "cramped" either overflowing the box it's
supposed to be within, or being overdrawn by other text within the same box.

Firefox 33.0.3 on Windows7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 22:24:07 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.onlineopticiansuk.com/

have a look over his site and if you have any feedback i'll pass

it
on.

Quite a lot of the text feels "cramped" ...

I'd say that ther is just too much text in too small a size and
possibly grey rather than black so low contrast making it hard to
read. The text may only appear grey as it's a small sans-serif font
with very fine lines.

... either overflowing the box it's supposed to be within, or being
overdrawn by other text within the same box.

In places, View Basket area is bad and the four examples.

Firefox 33.0.3 on Windows7

Mozilla 1.7.12 OS/2 Warp

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not solve the problem and create a dapper new look for yourself with pince nez?

Terry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 00:04:08 -0800, terry.****crumbs wrote:

Why not solve the problem and create a dapper new look for yourself with
pince nez?

Or a monocle. I use one!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 21:12, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 00:04:08 -0800, terry.****crumbs wrote:

Why not solve the problem and create a dapper new look for yourself with
pince nez?

Or a monocle. I use one!

Can't remember anyone wearing two (except as a joke). Or more! :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 17:45:25 +0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:40:08 +0000, PeterC wrote:

Got some new reading and distance specs. recently. The reading ones are
OK as the frames are metal, but I need to 'adjust' the distance ones as
my ears are not level by about 5mm (having one that's low is bad enough,
but the other one being high just makes it worse).

Will the joint bend? Bit risky as the fine metal parts can break if you
mess too much but you should get away with a couple of degrees.

A bit fraught, as you say, and I wouldn't try it on new ones.
It is the ideal place, as that would need the least angle.

first of all, heating the
bridge might damage the lenses and also only twisting, therefore putting
the lenses out of plane, would work; the second factor was that she was
trying it on the metal frames!

The lenses will be OK in the heat as long as they are not coated but you
are correct that ideally they should be in the same plane vertically.

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a
pound-shop pair that are very similar and it has no effect.

Plastic sides usually have a metal 'rod' down the middle, worth trying
bending one of them downwards about an inch from where it meets the ear,
might take a good yank but they will bend, should stay put and virtually
impossible to bust.

That is useful to know, thank you. I'd still need to get it hot as the
plastic can snap (part of the cheap pair did so round the lens, due to
stress I assume.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 13:07:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 9:40:11 AM UTC, PeterC wrote:
The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?

Glasses Direct [1] has this information/videos:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/help-...-your-glasses/

(I recently got 2-for-£25 on an offer but they weren't bifocal.)

No mention of plastic arms :-(

These offers are OK if everything is correct. I sometimes get the feeling
that a big firm will make a 'mistake' the customer gets 2-for-£25 and finds
out that they aren't right but doesn't no why.
A big outfit probably pays peanuts to 'correct' them.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bending spectacles - follow-up (was: Bending spectacles)

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 17:55:06 +0000, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 13:36:21 +0000, Chris French wrote:

The distance pair are black plastic. I've tried v. hot water on a pound-shop
pair that are very similar and it has no effect.
Is there a way of doing this, or do I have to use a packing piece?
In retrospect I should have had meta frames.

AFAIK They use some kind of hot air thing in our local specsavers to
bend the arms on plastic specs. I'd have tought a hot air gun on the
side arm would work ok.

I mean to get a hot-air gun next time there's one at Aldidl.

Got a gun at Lidl a few days ago.
Tried on the 99p pair - success!
Added a dash of trepidation and had a go at the 'proper' pair - it worked!

I had noticed that the slightest extra tilt degraded the image; having them
level has improved things a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

I get that tilt effect with mine. The sunnies must be slightly
different to the normal glasses and I get a noticeable double
vision effect for a minute or so when putting the sunnies on.
Doesn't last long, less than a minute.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for the washup, too rare IMO.

New Spectacles geoff UK diy 42 November 6th 10 08:37 AM
New Spectacles Geo[_2_] UK diy 0 October 28th 10 08:36 PM
New Spectacles Pete Zahut[_4_] UK diy 1 October 28th 10 06:02 PM
Spectacles ! robgraham UK diy 48 May 14th 10 10:50 PM
Manufacturing our own spectacles? Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 January 6th 09 12:52 AM