Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Spectacles

In message , PeterC
writes
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:30:32 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

PeterC wrote:
Finally got around to getting my eyes tested (after about 15 year
gap) and it seems that I need both reading (I knew that) and distance
versions.[1]

Is there a 'best' type for general use and DIY. There have been
mentions of difficulty when looking upwards, which I can understand.

I'll still keep the 'ready readers' scattered around, just for odd
things like reading labels. 'Proper' glasses are too expensive to
have 20-odd pairs!

I have the prescription and have looked at some sites but there are
still some parts that I can't sort out. Also, the interpupillary
distance wasn't given, so the dividers might have to be used!
I don't seem to have glaucoma or AMD (if the latter had been present,
I would use Intel for the next build).

[1] Not too worried about distance as I know that it's not bad (drably
dressed pedestrian against a brownish hedge at 0.3 of a mile or
stones on the road a few yards ahead are easily spotted)

There's no need to pay huge amounts for new specs. There's a guy who used to
post in here quite a bit but not so much now, name of Rick (posted as "R D
S"). He's in Darwen, Lancashire (www.eyefultower.co.uk) if you happen to be
anywhere near there, if not, you need to find your own "Rick" in your area.
He's a manufacturing and dispensing optician who has all the machinery to
shape, grind and polish lenses but he doesn't do eye tests - you get your
eyes tested elsewhere and then take the script to him.

I got four existing pairs of frames reglazed with new lenses and bought a
complete new pair of frames and lenses, all for 75 quid.

Too far :-( - I'm near Northampton. No idea if there's any such facility
here.

Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:

Too far :-( - I'm near Northampton. No idea if there's any such facility
here.

Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:18:57 +0100, PeterC
wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:
Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?

I don't know what on earth you searched for, nor what search engine
you used, but a Google search on "fairplay optical" returned that
company's web site as its first result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:
Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?

I don't know what on earth you searched for, nor what search engine
you used, but a Google search on "fairplay optical" returned that
company's web site as its first result.

To be more precise, it was that company'e entry in a trade directory
that might be useful for searching for similar firms in other parts of
the UK. It gives full address and telepohone details:
http://www.opticianonline.net/Compan...al+Co+Ltd.html

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:
Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?

I don't know what on earth you searched for, nor what search engine
you used, but a Google search on "fairplay optical" returned that
company's web site as its first result.

To be more precise, it was that company'e entry in a trade directory
that might be useful for searching for similar firms in other parts of
the UK. It gives full address and telepohone details:
http://www.opticianonline.net/Compan...al+Co+Ltd.html

That's what I got as the first hit - just a different trade directory, then
the link in that went to a dead end. I then noticed all the entries as below
and assumed that it was the same company.

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

Yes, the details for FO and Contact details for GOS are the same in parts.
FO has a geographic tel. no. rather than 0871.

Thanks for the confirmation.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You're welcome.

There was some self-interest behind my willingness to help. Some
recent eye surgery has changed my prescription and I need four pairs
of glasses re-glazed.

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the
idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people
employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:

Too far :-( - I'm near Northampton. No idea if there's any such facility
here.

Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?

Glasses on spec is their online company

http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk/contact.php

If you type "fairplay optical" into google, ...

first hit

"Fairplay Optical Co Ltd. Address: Unit 7, Olds Close, Watford,
Hertfordshire, WD18 9RU. Telephone: 01923 777618
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01923 777618
end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Fax: 01923 710175 .."
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes

wrote:
[...]

Right hand side, the white sign behind the bushes

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...%20appr&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:00:13 +0100, geoff wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Geoff, I will probably go and see them next week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:31:40 +0100, Bruce wrote:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

Yes, the details for FO and Contact details for GOS are the same in parts.
FO has a geographic tel. no. rather than 0871.

Thanks for the confirmation.

You're welcome.

There was some self-interest behind my willingness to help. Some
recent eye surgery has changed my prescription and I need four pairs
of glasses re-glazed.

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the
idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people
employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Indeed - and easier for returns and comms.
SelectSpecs seems to have a place in Kent but that might be a front for
manufacture in Asia.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:00:13 +0100, geoff wrote:

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the
idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people
employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Right hand side, the white sign behind the bushes

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...%20appr&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

er, I get a big area with lots of pins in it, none of which seems relevant.
Which one is it, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:51:01 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:09:29 +0100, geoff wrote:

Too far :-( - I'm near Northampton. No idea if there's any such facility
here.
Then there's fairplay optical just down the road here in Watford

mmm, just done a search on that and get dead ends and loads of 'business'
leaching sites and links to Glasses On Spec but nothing else. Do you have a
link, please?

Glasses on spec is their online company

http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk/contact.php

If you type "fairplay optical" into google, ...

first hit

"Fairplay Optical Co Ltd. Address: Unit 7, Olds Close, Watford,
Hertfordshire, WD18 9RU. Telephone: 01923 777618
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01923 777618
end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Fax: 01923 710175 .."

Yes, got it sorted thanks. Seems common nowadays, that several names are
under the same company.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:00:13 +0100, geoff wrote:

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the
idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people
employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Right hand side, the white sign behind the bushes

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...%20appr&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

er, I get a big area with lots of pins in it, none of which seems relevant.
Which one is it, please?

Ah, that should have been a picture

If you go for 3 counties hydroponics and go as far as the walkthrough
takes you, on the RHS, straight ahead of you. On the RHS of the road

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

I don't want them to write literature, but I expect someone I deal with to be
literate.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:31:00 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

These "bendable glasses" - are the lenses bendable too, or do they
shatter when the frame is bent?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

I don't want them to write literature, but I expect someone I deal with to be
literate.

I did once upon a time

I have now come to the conclusion that the feral apostrophe, their /
there, your / you're, less / fewer are so widespread that it's just not
worth losing sleep over. It's just not worth it

Literacy (especially if it's that of the son of the owner) is not
necessarily a measure of competence or ability of the company

get over it, you're a northerner FFS

(now how many errors did I manage in that rant ?)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

These "bendable glasses" - are the lenses bendable too, or do they
shatter when the frame is bent?

Depends who thumps you for being a pedant

I'm actually wearing a pair ATM

This is the second pair, the first pair actually broke - the nosepiece
broke in half as I was sitting typing away at the computer. I put this
down to a material defect,

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

Perhaps Northerners are the ones who really uphold English grammar.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:19:04 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

These "bendable glasses" - are the lenses bendable too, or do they
shatter when the frame is bent?

Depends who thumps you for being a pedant

? It was just a simple question...

I'm actually wearing a pair ATM

Wow.

This is the second pair, the first pair actually broke - the nosepiece
broke in half as I was sitting typing away at the computer. I put this
down to a material defect,

Did the lenses bend though?

It seems rather strange that a frame would break "just like that".
Were you accessing some particular site? ITWSBT.

A "material defect" doesn't really say an awful lot for bendyspecs,
does it?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

Err - none I think.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't agree. I think it's all part of
the hideous mediocracy that pervades our culture. Everyone gets a prize -
everyone gets 10 AAA triple star GCSEs and everyone goes to university, but
no one can write a coherent sentence.

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable",
I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were
Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd trust them
with my glasses either.

BTW I live in the north but I'm not of the north - an economic migrant you
might say.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:36:12 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:00:13 +0100, geoff wrote:

In the past I have used SelectSpecs and been very happy, however the
idea of a more local firm has some appeal. I would rather see people
employed in Watford than Hong Kong, where SelectSpecs are based.

Right hand side, the white sign behind the bushes

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...%20appr&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

er, I get a big area with lots of pins in it, none of which seems relevant.
Which one is it, please?

Ah, that should have been a picture

If you go for 3 counties hydroponics and go as far as the walkthrough
takes you, on the RHS, straight ahead of you. On the RHS of the road

Thanks Geoff.

BTW, SelectSpecs' site is one of the most informative that I've seen. It has
answered some questions - including some that I didn't know about!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes

I don't want them to write literature, but I expect someone I deal with
to be literate.

I did once upon a time

I have now come to the conclusion that the feral apostrophe, their /
there, your / you're, less / fewer are so widespread that it's just not
worth losing sleep over. It's just not worth it

Literacy (especially if it's that of the son of the owner) is not
necessarily a measure of competence or ability of the company

get over it, you're a northerner FFS

(now how many errors did I manage in that rant ?)

Err - none I think.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't agree. I think it's all part of
the hideous mediocracy that pervades our culture. Everyone gets a prize -
everyone gets 10 AAA triple star GCSEs and everyone goes to university, but
no one can write a coherent sentence.

But it doesn't follow that because someone within a company / employed
by that company makes a grammatical error that you or I wouldn't,
someone else within that company can't do a good job of making a pair of
lenses

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable",
I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were
Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd trust them
with my glasses either.

I have someone who works for me who is almost illiterate

He IS very good at working with his hands though

Put another way, should I turn you down for a software job because you
can't play a Chopin polonaise ? - everyone knows that musicians make
good s/w engineers

BTW I live in the north but I'm not of the north - an economic migrant you
might say.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

Fairplay Optical also trades online as Glassesonspec.co.uk:
http://www.glassesonspec.co.uk

On one page (under "bendable glasses") they say about their frames: "They
never loose there shape and are almost indestructable". (sic)

I don't think I could ever quite trust a firm that employs illiterates to
write their advertising copy.

They make lenses, they don't write literature

These "bendable glasses" - are the lenses bendable too, or do they
shatter when the frame is bent?

Depends who thumps you for being a pedant

? It was just a simple question...

I'm actually wearing a pair ATM

Wow.

This is the second pair, the first pair actually broke - the nosepiece
broke in half as I was sitting typing away at the computer. I put this
down to a material defect,

Did the lenses bend though?

Dunno - I couldn't see !

It seems rather strange that a frame would break "just like that".
Were you accessing some particular site? ITWSBT.

No comment (uk.d-i-y IIRC)

A "material defect" doesn't really say an awful lot for bendyspecs,
does it?

How often do you come across (budget) materials which you can guarantee
not to have defects

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

What, like the Plusnet advert "We won't be beat on price"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable",
I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were
Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd trust them
with my glasses either.

I have someone who works for me who is almost illiterate

He IS very good at working with his hands though

Yes, but you wouldn't ask him to write the script for your adverts, would
you?

It's the fact that no one in the firm apparently knows or cares enough to
check the website over for elementary grammar and spelling errors that I
can't accept. I would expect them to have a similar attitude to their
products.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message
. com, Mike Lane
writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

Nothing wrong with being a Northerner.

Geoff, what was it you said tome when I called into your workplace to see
you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable",
I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were
Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd trust them
with my glasses either.

I have someone who works for me who is almost illiterate

He IS very good at working with his hands though

Yes, but you wouldn't ask him to write the script for your adverts, would
you?

It's the fact that no one in the firm apparently knows or cares enough to
check the website over for elementary grammar and spelling errors that I
can't accept. I would expect them to have a similar attitude to their
products.

Whatever ...

no wonder you got deported

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message
. com, Mike Lane
writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

I'm sure you're going to remind me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Frank
Erskine writes
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:12:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 30, 2010:

In message
. com, Mike
Lane writes
Bruce wrote on Oct 29, 2010:

[...]

Me I am here to see Geoff
You I am Geoff
Me Hi I am....
You {interrupting me} You're that Northern ******* aren't you?

How did you know it was me?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message . com, Mike
Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

Going back to "They never loose there shape and are almost indestructable",
I think it's sloppy - like making spelling mistakes in your CV. If I were
Alan Sugar I wouldn't hire anyone who did that. I don't think I'd
trust them
with my glasses either.

I have someone who works for me who is almost illiterate

He IS very good at working with his hands though

Yes, but you wouldn't ask him to write the script for your adverts, would
you?

It's the fact that no one in the firm apparently knows or cares enough to
check the website over for elementary grammar and spelling errors that I
can't accept. I would expect them to have a similar attitude to their
products.

Whatever ...

no wonder you got deported

Or from another thread in this NG

"bloody plummers, may as well get the scouts in.. "

You know who you are - I'll not buying spectacles from you !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

[...]

I spent yesterday lunchtime at Specsavers; cost me a £25 fine for
overstaying my displayed parking ticket!

Part of the delay was trying to get what I wanted rather than what the
pleasant salesman wanted to sell!

Can you re-lens these frames? Yes. However our technician is very
unforgiving about hard to spot damage.

OK so can I have my prescription but set to working distance rather than
reading? Yes. Why are the only frames available in the £25 range letter
box types when I need to focus over a wide arc without having to move my
head? Actually we find most customers are happy with the two for one
offer in the expensive frames...... etc.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

[...]

Following someone's earlier post in this thread, I thought I'd see if
Fairplay did these "reverse" varifocals, or Warehouse lenses as someone
called them. They are actually called "degressive" varifocals. They said
they'd do me a pair for £55 lenses and £15 frames =£70 the lot. So I
told them to go for it , I'll pick them up next week and see what they
are like

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

[...]

Let us know how you get on. Specsavers gave me my prescription and
interpupillary distance.

I still have this pair of usable frames but no lens. Because there is
less light these Autumn afternoons, I ended up laying bricks with my
best reading glasses!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message . com,
Mike Lane writes
geoff wrote on Oct 31, 2010:

[...]

Pop over and see what they say then

It's only a few miles down the road for you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:18:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I still have this pair of usable frames but no lens. Because there is
less light these Autumn afternoons, I ended up laying bricks with my
best reading glasses!

I'm sure a trowel would have been easier :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
Following someone's earlier post in this thread, I thought I'd see if
Fairplay did these "reverse" varifocals, or Warehouse lenses as
someone called them. They are actually called "degressive"
varifocals. They said they'd do me a pair for £55 lenses and £15
frames =£70 the lot. So I told them to go for it , I'll pick them up
next week and see what they are like

Let us know how you get on. Specsavers gave me my prescription and
interpupillary distance.

I still have this pair of usable frames but no lens. Because there is
less light these Autumn afternoons, I ended up laying bricks with my
best reading glasses!

Pop over and see what they say then

It's only a few miles down the road for you

Yes. I could dump that Benzine on your doorstep as well:-)

Flat out on the building, trying to finish bricking before any serious
weather sets in.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

I still have this pair of usable frames but no lens. Because there is
less light these Autumn afternoons, I ended up laying bricks with my
best reading glasses!

I'm sure a trowel would have been easier :-)

Yes.

Actually it isn't any easier wearing glasses, but you can see what you
have done wrong.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

New Spectacles Geo[_2_] UK diy 0 October 28th 10 08:36 PM
New Spectacles Pete Zahut[_4_] UK diy 1 October 28th 10 06:02 PM