Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any recomendations for a new multi meter please?

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 15:05:57 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
You can certainly go wrong with one of those. Just trying to get
batteries, for a start. And they're less accurate than the average 2
quid market stall DVM. And don't whatever you do drop one.

I've got one too. In a nice leather case. Where it stays.

Quite. AVOs always struck me as overpriced ad absurdam for what they
were.

You could still buy a AVO 8 new until recently, IIRC. Thick end of a
grand. ;-)

2008 and it was just over £850 plus VAT...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:21:26 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 15:05:57 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You could still buy a AVO 8 new until recently, IIRC. Thick end of a
grand. ;-)

Yes, but this is "pwopper quality" we're talking here and it doesn't
come cheap. None of your Chinese junk that falls to bits in 5 minutes.
There was another English firm that made this gargantuan, museumesque
type of stuff, too. Megger was it? Probably folded decades ago.

The same English firm, actually!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:21:26 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

There was another English firm that made this gargantuan, museumesque
type of stuff, too. Megger was it? Probably folded decades ago.

I stand correcting myself! Still in business, it transpires!
So then, which is the better buy: Megger or Fluke?

Fluke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
You could still buy a AVO 8 new until recently, IIRC. Thick end of a
grand. ;-)

Yes, but this is "pwopper quality" we're talking here and it doesn't
come cheap. None of your Chinese junk that falls to bits in 5 minutes.
There was another English firm that made this gargantuan, museumesque
type of stuff, too. Megger was it? Probably folded decades ago.

I believe Fluke - or at least some models - are now made in China.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote

Taint smartarses, just those with enough to a clue to
put the probes back in the normal holes when you
have finished measuring current.

But i bet your arse smarts after you have put the probes in the 'correct'
hole... that being your arse-hole i presume.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nick" wrote in message
My old one has today thrown the towel in. Can't complain as it's given me
good service for 25-30 years.
Main usages: AC up to 440V, DC up to 120V. Resistance occasionally.
Transistor testing never.
Audible continuity testing is a must.
Not used very frequently but lost without it. A decent item that might
last 10 years will see me out.

It's not a multimeter you need. It's a voltage continuity tester Fluke T90

--
Adam

Good decent multi meter Broadback[_3_] UK diy 47 April 23rd 14 01:32 PM
Multi-meter Pointer Home Repair 32 July 6th 13 09:36 PM
Electricty to flat: Powercard meter, coin meter, or what? Frank UK diy 21 April 20th 07 08:42 PM
UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 06 08:49 PM
Digital Multi Meter PCB Kaifu FR-4 E162023(S) [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 September 15th 05 01:52 PM