Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good decent multi meter

Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

If you are going to measure live mains with it, I would strongly suggest
making sure it is genuinely CAT rated with decent quality shrouded leads.

Though, saying that I guess that they all must be now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:04:54 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

If you are going to measure live mains with it, I would strongly suggest
making sure it is genuinely CAT rated with decent quality shrouded leads.
Though, saying that I guess that they all must be now?

Personally I think the risk from shrouded leads outweighs the risk reduction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

How many amps? For automotive use the more the better.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 16:34, Bill Wright wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

How many amps? For automotive use the more the better.

Bill

Indeed. If measuring lots of amps, it either needs to incorporate a
pretty hefty shunt or to be a clamp meter. The latter is probably is a
better bet - something like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/uni-trend-...ltimeter-n41nc
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

The £2 meter, assuming it's not one of the 'banned' ones on the EU/RAPEX
list, is likely going to suffer from really poor leads. Would you trust
the insulation on those at mains voltages?

Oh, better just add this quick, I'm not suggesting Rapid would sell
anything like that.

Their £10 or thereabouts meter looks like it would do the job though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 15:04, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

If you are going to measure live mains with it, I would strongly suggest
making sure it is genuinely CAT rated with decent quality shrouded leads.

Though, saying that I guess that they all must be now?

Most of them are marked with a CAT rating - many of them clearly do not
deserve the rating when you look inside!

As you say it depends on if you are going to routinely use it for mains
work, and also where... in high energy locations (close to, or in a
Consumer Unit) then I would only use one that is properly CAT III or
better. Inside an appliance however the risk of using something less
capable would be negligible.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

I have a 'pen' type multi meter like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Mult...tal+multimeter

Much easier to use, especially on light fittings. You don't need three
hands :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can remember the old Avo 8 leads getting a nick in the rubber and nearly
making me slightly dead. I was perhaps not using the thing that carefully,
and another thing I used to notice was the tendency for the leads to fall
out exposing the live pin inside.
He did not say if he is after digital or analogue. When I could see i found
analogue good for most things, but of course digital gave very accurate
results and many of them could measure capacity and all sorts of other
clever stuff.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Lee" wrote in message
On 16/04/2014 15:11, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:04:54 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:

Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

If you are going to measure live mains with it, I would strongly suggest
making sure it is genuinely CAT rated with decent quality shrouded
leads.
Though, saying that I guess that they all must be now?

Personally I think the risk from shrouded leads outweighs the risk
reduction.

Risk from uncertified meters does exist, but you take 1000s times the
risk just walking to work, so I dont think its something to get excited
over.

'Decent' is undefined; the OP's requirements suggest that even a £2 Rapid
job would be upto that. Rapidonline is a good place to get good cheap
meters.

NT

Ok, I'm genuinely interested in why you think shrouded meter leads are
dangerous. I can't even see how they would be, but if I'm missing
something it would be nice to know

The £2 meter, assuming it's not one of the 'banned' ones on the EU/RAPEX
list, is likely going to suffer from really poor leads. Would you trust
the insulation on those at mains voltages?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:02:10 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

The �2 meter, assuming it's not one of the 'banned' ones on the EU/RAPEX
list, is likely going to suffer from really poor leads. Would you trust
the insulation on those at mains voltages?

The single insulation on them is more than capable. I have no trouble trusting them to mains.

I grew up in a world where what's now known as speaker wire & bell wire were often used on mains. The insulation on such is electrically adequate, just not as abuse proof as modern double insulated leads. If youre using a multimeter on mains you really should be quite capable of detecting a lead cut half through.

Did you find them on Rapex? I dont see why theyd be there.

I bought a bundle or so of the things, and leave them wherever I might want one on occasion. The tiny investment has paid off many times over. The only downside I've found with them so far has been accuracy, they're not always within 1 or 2% as they claimed. I've got better meters as well, but tbh from my experience with the rock bottom ones I wouldnt have a problem recommending them, they're perfectly able.

Its just like Tesco value, Sainsbury basics etc. Some of that stuff I wouldnt touch, but some is just as good. The brandnames are more about image than anything more concrete.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:57:46 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 15:11, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:04:54 PM UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:

Personally I think the risk from shrouded leads outweighs the risk reduction.

Risk from uncertified meters does exist, but you take 1000s times the risk just walking to work, so I dont think its something to get excited over..

'Decent' is undefined; the OP's requirements suggest that even a �2 Rapid job would be upto that. Rapidonline is a good place to get good cheap meters.

Ok, I'm genuinely interested in why you think shrouded meter leads are
dangerous. I can't even see how they would be, but if I'm missing
something it would be nice to know

When the shrouds are sprung, the plug sometimes gets pushed partway out by the spring over time. The result is you test something live, the meter reads no volts, and the user who doesnt stop to be a bit suspicious then gets a shock. Imho its a bigger problem than the risk of the bare pins that shrouds were intended to prevent.

The �2 meter, assuming it's not one of the 'banned' ones on the EU/RAPEX
list, is likely going to suffer from really poor leads. Would you trust
the insulation on those at mains voltages?

Sure - I just replied on that one. FWIW I've used thinner insulation than that at 1kV on temporary lashups, pvc is quite capable stuff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

[...]

I take your point, although personally I'm happier with the double
insulated leads. Each to their own I guess.

The yellow £2 special that used to be on sale everywhere at one point
was listed on there simply as "risk of injury" I can't remember if the
explanation went any further than that.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

[...]

Normally when people get killed by meters, it a result of the meter
flashing over internally rather than the leads failing directly.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

[...]

Why not have a look on Fleabay for a second hand Fluke meter? I managed
to get one for 40 quid and IMHO money well spent...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 16/04/2014 21:24, John Rumm wrote:

Normally when people get killed by meters, it a result of the meter
flashing over internally rather than the leads failing directly.

Maybe TPTB thought that one had the potential to, which was why it was
on the list?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 22:55, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 21:24, John Rumm wrote:

Normally when people get killed by meters, it a result of the meter
flashing over internally rather than the leads failing directly.

Maybe TPTB thought that one had the potential to, which was why it was
on the list?

The double insulated leads probably go along way to reducing shocks
though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:39:46 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/04/2014 22:55, Lee wrote:
On 16/04/2014 21:24, John Rumm wrote:

Normally when people get killed by meters, it a result of the meter
flashing over internally rather than the leads failing directly.

Maybe TPTB thought that one had the potential to, which was why it was
on the list?

The double insulated leads probably go along way to reducing shocks
though...

I dont see how, as they're not part of the main shock risks with meters. Single insulated leads are still very common on multimeters.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which means
silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my Maplin
Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to be dirt on
the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of some sort on high
voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

So I have one designed specifically for mains too - this sort of thing:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...741/index.html

Which is also more convenient for probing mains than a normal DVM.

I can't really recommend a low price unit as they change so often, and I
lashed out on a Fluke, but I'd go for a decent spec one off Ebay at about
£30 direct from the Chinese maker.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

I have a 'pen' type multi meter like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Mult...tal+multimeter

Much easier to use, especially on light fittings. You don't need three
hands :-)

So how does that meet the requirements of the OP then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

I have a 'pen' type multi meter like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Mult.../ref=sr_1_18?s

=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1397669933&sr=1-18&keywords=digital+multimeter

Much easier to use, especially on light fittings. You don't need three
hands :-)

So how does that meet the requirements of the OP then?

He's just saying. It's an aside.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which means
silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my Maplin
Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to be dirt on
the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of some sort on high
voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

So I have one designed specifically for mains too - this sort of thing:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...741/index.html

Which is also more convenient for probing mains than a normal DVM.

I can't really recommend a low price unit as they change so often, and I
lashed out on a Fluke, but I'd go for a decent spec one off Ebay at about
£30 direct from the Chinese maker.

It very much depends on what you want to do, doesn't it. My various
meters are normally only used on cars or electronics. There are not many
occasions when I actually want to *measure* mains volts or amps, a volt
stick to show which wire is "live" is usually all I need.

I can see that if I were often working on (say) washing machines or
dishwashers with heaters and motor control gear at "mains" then I would
be better off and safer with a proper Fluke.

+ 1 for ebay for that sort of thing, I have a Robin "earth tester".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

Could be. As I said I'm wary about using a multimeter on mains now. They
all tend to use a similar rotary switch which might get dirty with age as
my Maplin one did and flash over. The 'stick' type don't have that sort of
switch.

I can see that if I were often working on (say) washing machines or
dishwashers with heaters and motor control gear at "mains" then I would
be better off and safer with a proper Fluke.

+ 1 for ebay for that sort of thing, I have a Robin "earth tester".

I had a quick glance on Ebay and saw a Fluke 17* which was at 20 quid.
Nice no frills older Fluke.

As regards car use, I find one with a dwell function useful. Although
originally for points setting it is useful to check injector cycles, etc.
And RPM can be handy. So really a specialist type - although it will do
basic functions too. Depends what you want.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 22:30:31 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , John

Rumm scribeth thus

[...]

Personally I'd avoid ebay for such things unless you can be really sure you're not buying a fake fluke. The same goes for amazon supplies that ship from china.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
writes
Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

How many amps? For automotive use the more the better.

Bill

Indeed. If measuring lots of amps, it either needs to incorporate a
pretty hefty shunt or to be a clamp meter. The latter is probably is a
better bet - something like
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/uni-trend-...ltimeter-n41nc

Quite a nice little meter that, thanks for the tip.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2014 17:57, Lee wrote:

[...]

Rapid 85-0701 is what I got. I remember the yellow ones that were common, and lacking even the usual basic scales, couldnt see the point of them.

Re single insulated leads many meters use, its sensible to put a real world number on the risks. In terms of added risk to the user, its simply off the chart. Deaths per year zero. I've no worry using such things at 1kV. I try to take more care with the real risks in life, like travelling from A to B and buying food. Those are what kill people en masse.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:03:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which means
silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my Maplin
Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to be dirt
on the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of some sort on
high voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

I've had that. Not so much dirt as microscopic particles of metal worn
off the switch - you could see them sparkling on the switch wafers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which means
silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my Maplin
Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to be dirt on
the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of some sort on high
voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

If you are paranoid you need something like

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/handyman...i-clamp-meter/

but it won't give accurate voltage measurements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:03:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which means
silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my Maplin
Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to be dirt
on the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of some sort on
high voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

I've had that. Not so much dirt as microscopic particles of metal worn
off the switch - you could see them sparkling on the switch wafers.

All my more recent meters (I do actually have a Maplin Gold still) are
autoranging so rotary switches aren't really involved any more.

Switch to volts and that's it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:36:49 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 22:30:31 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Why not have a look on Fleabay for a second hand Fluke meter? I managed

to get one for 40 quid and IMHO money well spent...

Personally I'd avoid ebay for such things unless you can be really sure you're not buying a fake fluke. The same goes for amazon supplies that ship from china.

It's just 40 quid for a brand new bottom of the range CAT III rated Fluke on
Ebay and they are genuine but are intended for sale in emerging markets only.

FLUKE 101

Ebay 321355688632

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:07:44 +0100, cl wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:03:26 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One thing I find essential on a DVM is decent flexible leads which
means silicone insulation. Something you don't get with a cheap one.

I'm cautious about using a general purpose DVM on mains after my
Maplin Gold - quite a good meter in its day - blew up. It appeared to
be dirt on the tracks of the rotary switch that caused a bridge of
some sort on high voltage - it had been fine on low voltage stuff.

I've had that. Not so much dirt as microscopic particles of metal worn
off the switch - you could see them sparkling on the switch wafers.

All my more recent meters (I do actually have a Maplin Gold still) are
autoranging so rotary switches aren't really involved any more.

Switch to volts and that's it.

Not had any trouble with the rotary switches on the Avo 8, however...!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I take your point, although personally I'm happier with the double

insulated leads. Each to their own I guess.

Normally when people get killed by meters, it a result of the meter

flashing over internally rather than the leads failing directly.

Why not have a look on Fleabay for a second hand Fluke meter? I managed

to get one for 40 quid and IMHO money well spent...

Personally I'd avoid ebay for such things unless you can be really sure you're
not buying a fake fluke. The same goes for amazon supplies that ship from china.

Well all I've had from ebay thus far has been fine. But a Fluke is well
a fluke if the Chinese are building them as well as Fluke make 'em then
they'll be fine

Mind you how to they get them looking "aged" a bit for a few tens of
quid's you won't get a new one...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've had that. Not so much dirt as microscopic particles of metal worn
off the switch - you could see them sparkling on the switch wafers.

All my more recent meters (I do actually have a Maplin Gold still) are
autoranging so rotary switches aren't really involved any more.

My Fluke autoranges - but still has a rotary switch. You still have to
select AC, DC, etc it's going to autorange on.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2014 12:09, Bob Minchin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 16/04/2014 13:48, Broadback wrote:
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains
level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.

I have a 'pen' type multi meter like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Mult...tal+multimeter

Much easier to use, especially on light fittings. You don't need three
hands :-)

So how does that meet the requirements of the OP then?

It reads Ac and DC volts (up to mains level) amps and Ohms. Thats what
he wanted?

It has a test lead as well.

Multi-meter Pointer Home Repair 32 July 6th 13 09:36 PM
Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decent brightness [email protected] Electronics Repair 70 June 30th 08 04:59 AM
Does anyone know a good LED pocket flashlight with decent brightness [email protected] Home Repair 70 June 30th 08 04:59 AM
Cheapest decent analog meter? [email protected] Electronics Repair 32 January 15th 06 09:59 PM
Digital Multi Meter PCB Kaifu FR-4 E162023(S) [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 September 15th 05 01:52 PM