Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good decent multi meter

On Friday, April 18, 2014 3:22:19 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/04/2014 18:01, wrote:

Re single insulated leads many meters use, its sensible to put a real
world number on the risks. In terms of added risk to the user, its
simply off the chart. Deaths per year zero. I've no worry using such

As has been pointed out many times, death is not the only undesirable
outcome. Far more people are blinded or burnt by arc flash injury than
killed. Many more will have injuries severe enough to require hospital
treatment.

Do you have a reference for many people getting injured?

things at 1kV. I try to take more care with the real risks in life,

Its not the voltage that matters particularly (within reason) by the
level of transients that may be present, and the "energy" level of the
mains connection.

yes

Poking about on mains wiring anywhere there is a PSC north of a few
hundred amps is a foolish thing to do with a meter with no input
protection.

like travelling from A to B and buying food. Those are what kill
people en masse.

Isnt it more foolish to fail at addressing the big risks in life?

NT