Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL musings.

I generally hate the things, and won't have them in a living area.

But did decide to use one in the workshop - which is actually the spare
bedroom, so still has a pendant light fitting. Only used for general
illumination - there is proper lighting over workbenches etc.

I got the largest CFL I could find in a BC fitting. Says 30w on it. Ugly
thing - but that doesn't matter. Can't remember exactly when - a few years
ago, though.

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

Had a look at what ASDA had to offer now. Perhaps a 100watt equivalent
LED. Not in BC - only ES. Along the isle was their electrical section -
sockets and things. No ES lampholders, though. Only BS - including pendant
sets.

Of course I know the explanation for the short life - it's a pendant
fitting and the bulb would prefer to be the other way up so the
electronics run cooler. Pity they don't tell you that at the point of sale.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I generally hate the things, and won't have them in a living area.

But did decide to use one in the workshop - which is actually the spare
bedroom, so still has a pendant light fitting. Only used for general
illumination - there is proper lighting over workbenches etc.

I got the largest CFL I could find in a BC fitting. Says 30w on it. Ugly
thing - but that doesn't matter. Can't remember exactly when - a few years
ago, though.

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

are you sure about that? 1000 hours continuous is less than 6 weeks. I'm
sure in a few years, you'd easily run up 1000 hours.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

are you sure about that? 1000 hours continuous is less than 6 weeks. I'm
sure in a few years, you'd easily run up 1000 hours.

1 hour a day for three years? I really don't use it much - just for access
etc. And not in daylight unlike the bench lighting. That's fluorescent
over the main benches and halogen over the 'electronics' one. The tubes
over the main bench are many years old. The halogen too.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
charles wrote:
And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

are you sure about that? 1000 hours continuous is less than 6 weeks. I'm
sure in a few years, you'd easily run up 1000 hours.

1 hour a day for three years? I really don't use it much - just for access
etc. And not in daylight unlike the bench lighting. That's fluorescent
over the main benches and halogen over the 'electronics' one. The tubes
over the main bench are many years old. The halogen too.

I did have a fairy high wattage CFL (35-45W I can't remember)in the
hallway, before I installed more lights in their.

It was base up and really suffered from the heating. The glass tube
section became 'unstuck' from the base, and eventually it failed
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:25:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

It's all pretty ridiculous. You're not meant to be able to get large filament light bulbs any more (but a quick pop over the road to my local corner shop easily disproves that!).

The tungsten bulb in a bulb light bulbs are next to be phased out. They only saved a tiny bit of leccy anyway.

The CFL's don't fit in existing light fittings in larger power outputs, take an age to warm up and have nasty light.

LEDS are expensive and have very little light output. Some of the LED bulb are downright dangerous having exposed solder pads at mains voltage (but they do seem to be getting there). The cheap ones give out horrible light. They also don't fit in existing light fittings in larger power outputs.

No one seems to sell good, inexpensive light fittings for low power bulbs.

And for some reason fluorescent tubes have gone out of fashion, replaced in many cases with a shed load of tungsten spot lamps for a huge energy use increase.....

Philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm experimenting with various LED bulbs from Amazon - mostly because I
can read the reviews which often weeds out some right lemons.

Homebase are doing a line of "TCP" bulbs with Nichia LEDs.

For fun factor, I've just got the kids an Auraglow RGB bulb each for
their desklamps. Bit heavy, had to do the anglepoise wingnuts like Geoff
Capes (time to try adding some friction washers)

Nice decent warm white light and lots of funky colours with an IR remote.

Now, for sheer power, I can personally recommend

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...-White-Philips

It's a long bugger, but not fat. I've had one burning 24/7 for a year or
so now and it's still happy. It gives a very good light if you want warm
white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

I have had four CFLs for almost thirteen years now.
The Philips "jam jar" style.

I have the newer ones everywhere else, very rare one goes down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:25:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

1000 hrs is an average life, so 50% will fail before then, 50% later. Lifetimes do vary more than filament lamps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:25:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

1000 hrs is an average life, so 50% will fail before then, 50% later.

True - but in my experience, not by much. If you have a fitting which
takes several the same, they will invariably go fairly close together, if
starting out from new.

Lifetimes do vary more than filament lamps.

They certainly do. But never exceed their claimed life. Strange, isn't it.

NT

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:25:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

1000 hrs is an average life, so 50% will fail before then, 50% later.

True - but in my experience, not by much. If you have a fitting which
takes several the same, they will invariably go fairly close together, if
starting out from new.

Lifetimes do vary more than filament lamps.

They certainly do. But never exceed their claimed life.

Some of mine have, and have exceeded the life I used to
get with incandescents in that socket by a hell of a lot too.

And were free too, the local electricity supply operation
was actually stupid enough to hand out some for free
to encourage people to start using them.

Strange, isn't it.

Fraid not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
They certainly do. But never exceed their claimed life.

Some of mine have, and have exceeded the life I used to
get with incandescents in that socket by a hell of a lot too.

Not surprising given their claimed life. Which is usually 6,000-15,000
hours. GLS tungsten 1000.

However, the only ones I've had here which do exceed GLS by a large
amount are outdoors.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

They certainly do. But never exceed their claimed life.

Some of mine have, and have exceeded the life I used to
get with incandescents in that socket by a hell of a lot too.

Not surprising given their claimed life. Which is
usually 6,000-15,000 hours. GLS tungsten 1000.

I don’t see that last.

However, the only ones I've had here which
do exceed GLS by a large amount are outdoors.

Mine was inside, the bed head light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:25:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

Even so it will have saved you enough on electricity costs overall.

1000 hrs is an average life, so 50% will fail before then, 50% later.

True - but in my experience, not by much. If you have a fitting which
takes several the same, they will invariably go fairly close together, if
starting out from new.

That tends to suggest something about you mains glitching and taking out
lamps together. Mine fail very infrequently and since switching from
conventional spotlamps to LED in the kitchen I have not only saved on
power consumption but also in not having to reset the main lighting
circuit every time a kitchen spotlamp blows.

Lifetimes do vary more than filament lamps.

They certainly do. But never exceed their claimed life. Strange, isn't it.

Yes. They do. Filament lamps are quite bimodal in their MTBF with a very
small number of quick infant mortalities in the first 24 hours of
operation and then a very long exponential tail of failures that
stretches off to at least a couple of times the official MTBF.

Optimising the preventative maintenance time to swap out units to avoid
in service failures is actually quite an art.

Obviously you can shorten its working life considerably by switching it
on and off more often and cycling thermal stress on the filament.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

Even so it will have saved you enough on electricity costs overall.

Maybe true. But the misery of the poor light quality and even poorer
performance at switch on isn't compensated by that. Obviously LED would
get round the latter.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable wanting a 100 watt GLS tungsten
equivalent, am I? That simply plugs into a pendant fitting and gives near
enough the claimed life too?

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt
it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At
many many times the cost.

Even so it will have saved you enough on electricity costs overall.

Maybe true. But the misery of the poor light quality and even poorer
performance at switch on isn't compensated by that. Obviously LED would
get round the latter.

Today definitely LED. The one I linked to probably isn't far off what
you want. I have never been a great fan of CFLs - too slow to start up.

I actually want an LED equivalent of 150W or 200W incandescent too.
(which may be being a bit unreasonable)

I don't think I'm being unreasonable wanting a 100 watt GLS tungsten
equivalent, am I? That simply plugs into a pendant fitting and gives near
enough the claimed life too?

Avoid CFL then the rising heat cooks their electronics. LED is a bit
better. Lifetime is even worse if you put either in one of those glass
globe things so as to trap all the hot air inside it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Martin Brown wrote

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life.
I doubt it's done much more than the 1000 hours or so
you'd get from a GLS. At many many times the cost.

Even so it will have saved you enough on electricity costs overall.

Maybe true. But the misery of the poor light quality and even
poorer performance at switch on isn't compensated by that.

I don’t get either result. The light quality is in fact quite a bit
better, less glare, and the performance at switch on is MUCH
better, particularly with the bed head light where the softer
start is just what you need when switching it on in the dark
after having been asleep.

Obviously LED would get round the latter.

But would cost more than the free CFL that I still have
quite a few boxes of given that that one has never
failed yet in what must be quite a few years now.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable wanting
a 100 watt GLS tungsten equivalent, am I?

Sure.

That simply plugs into a pendant fitting
and gives near enough the claimed life too?

Mine do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

[...]
Of course I know the explanation for the short life - it's a pendant
fitting and the bulb would prefer to be the other way up so the
electronics run cooler. Pity they don't tell you that at the point of sale.

Their lives do seem to be rather variable. But since replacing most
of my bulbs with CFLs I find myself changing bulbs far less often, and
mostly the few remaining incandescents, so I am confident that the
average life of CFLs is much greater. And they are all pendant lamps.

Anyway, they're not long for this world. I expect to replace most
of mine with LEDs as they die.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:25:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

How many on/off cycles was it specified for?

Had a look at what ASDA had to offer now. Perhaps a 100watt equivalent
LED. Not in BC - only ES.

Try a different supemarket, Tesco have a couple of 850 lm LED jobbies
in ES or BC but the price is only just below eye watering in there.
Aldi, Hexham had a selection last week but again the higher output
ones not cheap (£8.99 IIRC).

Along the isle was their electrical section - sockets and things. No ES
lampholders, though. Only BS - including pendant sets.

s/BS/BC/ B-) Joined up thinking is getting rarer and rarer. TBH
with such low use just get a 100 W tungsten. Though that is overkill
just for quick access, 60 or even 40 W will be enough to stop you
falling over the cat.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:25:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And it's just gone bang. So much for the claimed long life. I doubt it's
done much more than the 1000 hours or so you'd get from a GLS. At many
many times the cost.

How many on/off cycles was it specified for?

Can't remember that being quoted.

Had a look at what ASDA had to offer now. Perhaps a 100watt equivalent
LED. Not in BC - only ES.

Try a different supemarket, Tesco have a couple of 850 lm LED jobbies
in ES or BC but the price is only just below eye watering in there.
Aldi, Hexham had a selection last week but again the higher output
ones not cheap (£8.99 IIRC).

I don't have a big Tesco nearby, and the mid sized one seemed only to have
'posh' LEDs - nothing to replace a GLS type. But I'm really looking for
something like 1500 lumens.

Along the isle was their electrical section - sockets and things. No
ES lampholders, though. Only BS - including pendant sets.

s/BS/BC/ B-)

Yes - although only stocking BC lampholders when the majority of the bulbs
are ES is BS.

Joined up thinking is getting rarer and rarer. TBH
with such low use just get a 100 W tungsten. Though that is overkill
just for quick access, 60 or even 40 W will be enough to stop you
falling over the cat.

I've shoved in a 105w halogen for the moment. Bliss. It's pretty well the
only pendant in the house - and without a dimmer - so I feel obliged to
use a low energy type, if only to moan about it.

--
*WHOSE CRUEL IDEA WAS IT FOR THE WORD 'LISP' TO HAVE 'S' IN IT?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't have a big Tesco nearby, and the mid sized one seemed only to have
'posh' LEDs - nothing to replace a GLS type. But I'm really looking for
something like 1500 lumens.

I have been looking across the board and have found nothing greater than
1055.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I don't have a big Tesco nearby, and the mid sized one seemed only to
have 'posh' LEDs - nothing to replace a GLS type. But I'm really
looking for something like 1500 lumens.

I have been looking across the board and have found nothing greater than
1055.

TLC have a "Bollard lamp" at 1050 lumens (they say they do their own
measuremets) available in both ES & BC. The Warm white version is 975
lumens

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/14 08:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I don't have a big Tesco nearby, and the mid sized one seemed only to
have 'posh' LEDs - nothing to replace a GLS type. But I'm really
looking for something like 1500 lumens.

I have been looking across the board and have found nothing greater than
1055.

TLC have a "Bollard lamp" at 1050 lumens (they say they do their own
measuremets) available in both ES & BC. The Warm white version is 975
lumens

Those look like they would have several useful applications and being
made of loads of little LEDs rather than 1-3 massive ones should have
quite a good life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2014 08:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I don't have a big Tesco nearby, and the mid sized one seemed only to
have 'posh' LEDs - nothing to replace a GLS type. But I'm really
looking for something like 1500 lumens.

I have been looking across the board and have found nothing greater than
1055.

TLC have a "Bollard lamp" at 1050 lumens (they say they do their own
measuremets) available in both ES & BC. The Warm white version is 975
lumens

You can get them up to about 1200 Lumen for a price. eg.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LT-Lighting-...words=100w+led

I would be inclined to go for a 840Lm one at about half that price. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm really looking for something like 1500 lumens.

Philips make a BC22 1400 lumen (14W actual/90W equiv) but searching
mainly seems to find them in India, for some reason.

I have been looking across the board and have found nothing greater than
1055.

Aldi? I have one of that power, the business end (polycarbonate globe?)
runs cool, but the base (potted with resin?) feels about the same as
juggling a hot incandescent.

Makes you wonder how long the manufacturers will get away with boasting
"n x 10,000 hours life" then having to explain "only the actual LED, not
the PSU".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I know people who have had more than6 years out of the cfls, and used
them every day. I suspecgt you had a rogue. The only rogue I've had was a
b/q one that got so hot it let the tube fall out on the floor.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I know people who have had more than6 years out of the cfls, and
used them every day. I suspecgt you had a rogue. The only rogue I've
had was a b/q one that got so hot it let the tube fall out on the floor.

Were they in pendant fittings? High output - like say about a 100w GLS
equivalent? I've now had three high output and expensive CFLs of different
types fail very early - due, I'm fairly certain to overheating.
Only ones I do have which last their claimed life are outdoors.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I know people who have had more than6 years out of the cfls, and
used them every day. I suspecgt you had a rogue. The only rogue I've
had was a b/q one that got so hot it let the tube fall out on the floor.

Were they in pendant fittings? High output - like say about a 100w GLS
equivalent? I've now had three high output and expensive CFLs of different
types fail very early - due, I'm fairly certain to overheating.
Only ones I do have which last their claimed life are outdoors.

Some of my CFLs in pendant fittings have survived daily use since I
bought them from CPC in January 2003. Not high power, though.

When I used incandescents, bulb-blowing (and usually breaker-tripping)
failures were more or less a weekly occurrence. CFLs solved the problem
immediately.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:01:48 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:

Well I know people who have had more than6 years out of the cfls, and
used them every day. I suspecgt you had a rogue. The only rogue I've
had was a b/q one that got so hot it let the tube fall out on the floor..

Were they in pendant fittings? High output - like say about a 100w GLS
equivalent? I've now had three high output and expensive CFLs of different
types fail very early - due, I'm fairly certain to overheating.

I wonder why. I get perfectly satisfactory service from Osram 20w CFLs cap up in open fittings. In fact evrything except philips have been fine (and one poundland lamp someone who will be nameless bought).

NT

Only ones I do have which last their claimed life are outdoors.

....one place CFLs are not suited to. Cold weather makes initial output & warm up time terrible, including for megaman subzero rated ones. In PIRs as well as little output the frequent switching kills them quicker than filaments. LED seems to be a good option outdoors.

NT

OT Musings. harryagain[_2_] UK diy 7 January 20th 14 09:33 AM
Musings of a COC about some of his convenient untruths. Arch Woodturning 6 March 17th 08 10:02 PM
A COC's musings. Unhappy holidays and all that. Arch Woodturning 8 January 1st 08 01:05 AM
Musing on Arch's musings robo hippy Woodturning 14 March 5th 07 03:15 PM
Musings On A Cane J T Woodworking 26 February 9th 05 07:11 PM