J T

Default Musings On A Cane

I've been using a cane for the last few weeks. Seems I ate
something from the local Taco Hell, and within a half-hour after, began
suffering from an upset somach. Which progressively got worse, and
lasted about a week. A case of intestional indigestion perhaps. Or
perhaps they changed the type of oil they cook with - when MacDonalds
changed their cooking oil, a lot of people had various reactions to it,
including a few quite severe. Moot point now, I don't eat anything
from there anymore.

Whatever it was, as a result, I seem to now have a disturbance of
my inner ear. And, as a result of that, now occassionally lose my
balance. Haven't fallen, but close a few times.

So, cane time. I had been planning on making one or three canes
when I got old and needed one, but the time to need one came way ahead
of schedule, and no canes made. Needed a cane. Now.

Cruised down to one of the local drugstores. The town is growing
like Hell, and among other things has 3 drugstores, 4 if you count one
in the new Wal-Mart just outside of town. I knew the drugstore had
canes, and I needed one. They had adjustable aluminum ones for around
$22, and I about got one of those. Figured I could fiddle a bit, until
I got it at the optimum length. The wood ones were only about $11, but
they were a bit long. Then I got considering, and decided I could cut a
wood one down to size.

So got a wood cane, "walnut" according to the tag. Yeah, right.
It was way long I thought, came above my waist, and my elbow was bent.
I'm 5'7" and figured I'd have to cut inches off of it, I figured short
enough to have my arm about straight when I was standing with the cane.
Wasn't going to cut it right off, wanted to get a handle on how much to
lop off first.

And, wound up leaving the cane as is. I don't think it'd be near as
comfortable using it, if it was shorter. Plus, standing, I can sorta
lean on it. Surprising, because I thought it would be uncomfortable
left long, now I figure it'd be uncomfortable if it was shorter.

It was invaluable for the first week or so. Now, the inner ear
disturbance has pretty much gone away, but still there. I don't really
need the cane any more, but it's a great confidence builder, because I
could still need it. Anyway, I still use it, just in case. I drive a
pickup, and put it in the cab the first week or so. That was pretty
much a PITA tho, it'd slide over, or down on the floor. Now I just put
it in the bed, and hook the handle in one of those holes in the topside
of the bed. Works great. Get out of the cab, grab the cane. Then just
stick it in the bed again, and into the cab. Much less hassle.

Like I said, I don't figure I still really need it, but I have
still lost my balance a bit in the house once or twice, fortunately not
outside, so still carry it. Just in case. Too bad I couldn't have
waited until I was old before I needed it, but that's life. Anyway,
that'll be 20-30 years in the future. Besides, with my knees as they
now are, especially the right one, it's very good insurance,
particularly going up and down steps.

Otherwise, basically, life is good.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Upscale

"J T" wrote in message

Like I said, I don't figure I still really need it, but I have
still lost my balance a bit in the house once or twice, fortunately not
outside, so still carry it. Just in case. Too bad I couldn't have
waited until I was old before I needed it, but that's life. Anyway,
that'll be 20-30 years in the future. Besides, with my knees as they
now are, especially the right one, it's very good insurance,
particularly going up and down steps.

What kind of story is that? I was envisioning something like you not needing
the cane anymore, but it happened to be a handy weapon when some bugger
tried to rob you. The "LEAST" I expected was that it saved you in some way
like you fell into the river with it and at the last minute before you went
over the falls, you used the crook of the cane to snag a tree branch, thus
saving you from certain drowning.

Bah! I'm so disappointed.

Dave in Fairfax

J T wrote:
snip of the perils of eating at McD/KFC/TB
I drive a
pickup, and put it in the cab the first week or so. That was pretty
much a PITA tho, it'd slide over, or down on the floor. Now I just put
it in the bed, and hook the handle in one of those holes in the topside
of the bed. Works great. Get out of the cab, grab the cane. Then just
stick it in the bed again, and into the cab. Much less hassle.

Sorry to hear that you had to learn to use a cane. Think about
how much fun it is to find one if you're 6'4". %-) What I did
when I need one, was to toss it into my Easy Rider Rifle Rack.
Just a thought. I found that if I had to twist to get out of the
cab then walk around to the bed, it kinda defeated the point of
having the cane with me. Alos increased the opportunity to kiss
the pavement before I got to the cane. YMMV
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Gerald Ross

J T wrote:

[...]

I came into a couple of old, solid brass doorknobs. I made a
cane head out of one after shining it up. It looks ok,
probably would not work too well for its intended use, but
would make an awesome weapon since the shaft is heavy ash.
What I will really need is a brain cane.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Committees keep minutes and lose hours.

Gerald Ross

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

J T wrote:
[...]

You sure it isn't a Red Ryder Rifle Rack?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Committees keep minutes and lose hours.

jaime

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:11:26 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

I've been using a cane for the last few weeks. Seems I ate
something from the local Taco Hell, and within a half-hour after, began
suffering from an upset somach. Which progressively got worse, and
lasted about a week. A case of intestional indigestion perhaps. Or
perhaps they changed the type of oil they cook with - when MacDonalds
changed their cooking oil, a lot of people had various reactions to it,
including a few quite severe. Moot point now, I don't eat anything
from there anymore.

Good move. Go rent and watch the movie Supersize Me and you will
*never* eat in a fastfood joint again.

Whatever it was, as a result, I seem to now have a disturbance of
my inner ear. And, as a result of that, now occassionally lose my
balance. Haven't fallen, but close a few times.

Sorry to hear that.

[...]

Great story. I took my mom's cane after she passed away. It is made
of wood and very nice. I figure I might use it one day if I ever blow
out a knee after working out too much at the YMCA but in the meantime
it is just nice having it and knowing it used to belong to my mom.

Lawrence L'Hote

"J T" wrote in message
I've been using a cane for the last few weeks.Needed a cane. Now.
Cruised down to one of the local drugstores. The town is growing
like Hell, and among other things has 3 drugstores, 4 if you count one
in the new Wal-Mart just outside of town. I knew the drugstore had
canes, and I needed one. They had adjustable aluminum ones for around
$22, and I about got one of those. Figured I could fiddle a bit, until
I got it at the optimum length. The wood ones were only about $11, but
they were a bit long.

FWIW our local VFW will loan vets wheelchairs, walkers, canes etc. You may
qualify under Medicade, although I know you are still quite young, and the
doc can prescribe the cane and you won't be out a cent.. Save that money
for ww tools.

Larry

Dave in Fairfax

Gerald Ross wrote:
You sure it isn't a Red Ryder Rifle Rack?

Pretty sure, I haven't had a Red Ryder in a lot of years. Still
got a Daisy for less-than-lethal, but it doesn't go into the
truck.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't stop eating fast food, they'd learn
the importance of moderation rather than overindulgence.

I wouldn't recommend this movie -- its all a gimmick.

Buddy Matlosz

Ahhh, forget all that crap - can you dowse with it?

B.

Silvan

J T wrote:

waited until I was old before I needed it, but that's life. Anyway,
that'll be 20-30 years in the future. Besides, with my knees as they

When you're 110 to 140?

now are, especially the right one, it's very good insurance,
particularly going up and down steps.

I have a cane too. A good cane is better than a walking stick in some
instances. If, say, you want to re-paint your 180 pound park bench, and
you don't want to kill the grass where the park bench is, so you pick it up
over your head to carry it over to your patio, and then you step in a
depression and fold your ankle over, and then you don't want to drop your
180 pound park bench, so you force yourself to stand back up and shoulder
the burden, and you subsequently sprain the living **** out of your ankle,
well, when that happens, a cane is a much better choice than a walking
stick. DAMHIKT.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Malcolm Webb

I'm 6'4" also. Used a walking stick for a few years in my youth when
walking underground as a mining surveyor. Sticks were provided for
officials in the mining industry here in the UK -- called Deputy's yard
sticks, they were a yard long. They were an easy and quick way to make
daily measurements. Never long enough for me. I had one made which was a
metre long (about 39 inches). I still have it. I also have 2 others
which have been specially made for me over the years by friends in
anticipation of my old age. One is turned walnut with a silver top and
ferrule -- 40" long overall. Ideal length for me.

I once had a problem while surveying trying to reconcile one guys
measurements with mine on my quarterly survey. He'd used his yard stick
to measure, so there shouldn't have been that much discrepancy in the
figures.

Then I realised he was much shorter than me, and I measured his stick.
He'd cut it down to 2'9". So every time he measured 10 yards (10 stick
lengths), he was actually measuring 27'6".

Malcolm Webb

Silvan

jaime wrote:

Good move. Go rent and watch the movie Supersize Me and you will
*never* eat in a fastfood joint again.

Dunno. I don't remember the particulars, but two different exercise nazi
types did their own version. One of them was a female aerobics instructor.
She ate salads, grilled chicken sandwiches and such like, and counted
calories and nutritional considerations very studiously while on her
McDonald's diet. I don't remember how much she lost or gained. The other
one was a male fitness trainer I think. He ate some gawdawful amount of
Big Macs and stuff, like 5,000 calories a day, and he lost, IIRC, 30 pounds
on his McDonald's diet because he also put in some ridiculous number of
hours at the gym burning off the calories he took in.

The problem is you have to either A) count calories and weigh nutritional
considerations carefully, or B) exercise your ass off to eat at McDonald's
every day without transmogrifying into a fatass like the guy in Super Size
Me.

Now me, I'm definitely in the borderline fatass category, and I hate
exercising just for the sake of exercising, so a McDonald's diet is not in
my cards. I'm just saying there's more to the story than fast food is
evil. I'd say more likely fast food is just food, if you avoid the double
grease burger and triple helping of lard drippings on top
(Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... lard drippings....), and the biggest culprit in
our society is that life is just too damn easy.

We don't have to chase our food anymore, and we don't even hardly have to
work for a living either. Lots of people sit around on their ass all day
at work, then come home and sit around on their ass all day at home in
front of the idiot light, or the computer. I know I definitely fit in this
category. I drive all day, which means sitting, and I come home and sit in
front of the computer. More exercise for my mind than the idiot light, but
not a good cure for my assal fattalitis. (And yes, I've noticed that the
difference between assal fattalitis and assal FATALitis is very small.)

Fortunately for me, I got my weight more or less back under control after my
wife recovered from her surgical doings and started cooking again. She is
a TERRIBLE cook. I can barely stand to eat her cooking, and I don't really
need the calories anyway, so I'm back down to 195. 195 is still
overweight, but if I can at least hold 195 I'll be happy. I was at 215
while I was doing the cooking. I'm a good cook, but I don't know how to
cook anything that isn't fried or flame kist.

Although I did make an effort to feed my kids flame kist and fried
vegetables, at least. Did you know you can deep fat fry carrots? (I'm
kidding. I did make a real effort to feed them nutritionally balanced
meals. As does my wife. The difference is my nutritionally balanced stuff
is actually edible.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
patrick conroy

"J T" wrote in message

Taco Hell

It's purpoted that the "Bell" has felled more that cholera.
One does not eat fast food to feel good, one eats fast food to feel "full".
But that place is death in a tortilla.

jaime

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:00:24 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dunno. I don't remember the particulars, but two different exercise nazi
types did their own version. One of them was a female aerobics instructor.
She ate salads, grilled chicken sandwiches and such like, and counted
calories and nutritional considerations very studiously while on her
McDonald's diet. I don't remember how much she lost or gained.

If you do not remember, what was the *point* of telling me this. ;-p

The other
one was a male fitness trainer I think. He ate some gawdawful amount of
Big Macs and stuff, like 5,000 calories a day, and he lost, IIRC, 30 pounds
on his McDonald's diet because he also put in some ridiculous number of
hours at the gym burning off the calories he took in.

Whatever you put in you need to take out.

The problem is you have to either A) count calories and weigh nutritional
considerations carefully, or B) exercise your ass off to eat at McDonald's
every day without transmogrifying into a fatass like the guy in Super Size
Me.

Which much of the population does not do and which is why Canada and
the States has the obesity problems they have now.

Now me, I'm definitely in the borderline fatass category, and I hate
exercising just for the sake of exercising, so a McDonald's diet is not in
my cards. I'm just saying there's more to the story than fast food is
evil.

I agree.

I'd say more likely fast food is just food, if you avoid the double
grease burger and triple helping of lard drippings on top
(Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... lard drippings....), and the biggest culprit in
our society is that life is just too damn easy.

Yes it is. Macines make things too easy for everyone. When was the
last time *anyone* in this newsgroup made a peice of furniture
*completely* by hand as the first settlers did.

**************************************
I'm *not* a bad person. I simply made the
mistake of getting involved with a *jack*ss*.
Is it a coincidence that he lives on a farm?
**************************************

Not being a troll, just making a point. Seriously, I think that a lot
of people put entirely too much emphasis on this film. It is by no
means a work of art, nor any sort of scientific musing.

Its incoherent, misleading and oftentimes just wrong.

I read that Spurlock pulled some of his obesity statistics from back
issues of Men's Health. Come on now.

COLLARBOMBER Gunner Metalworking 5 September 3rd 04 05:40 PM
Musings re lathes & wheels. Turning wood or potting clay. Arch Woodturning 1 August 27th 04 05:12 AM
Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget? Julian Fowler UK diy 362 February 29th 04 04:18 PM
Musings on Tool Sets (Apologies to Arch) George Woodturning 4 August 30th 03 01:14 AM