Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Audio spirit level?

There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been
discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently?
I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you tilt it
past level.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...
There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been discontinued,
anyone seen anything like that about recently?
I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you tilt it past level.
Brian

A quick Google shows the only one available at present seems to
be the

Kaiser Action Level - Digital Spirit Level With Sound

which costs £40.70 from Amazon. Slightly less from other sellers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaiser-Actio.../dp/B002JIN4FY

( Not sure if links are any use or not.)

These are primarily designed for use with cameras and fit into the
hot shoe. They're quite bulky looking. The sound feature is a recent
addition.

This is from Kaiser's own website

A “sound” version of “Action Level”, the digital spirit level
from Kaiser Fototechnik, has just been introduced by Kaiser.
In addition to five coloured LEDs indicating the level of the
camera, there are different beep sounds that can be connected
to the LED signalling system thus providing an audio-visual
control of the level.

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...evel_sound.asp

Quite why anyone would need five different levels in a spirit
level, even for as camera is anyone's guess. Dead level, and a
programmable angle maybe for repeat shots.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smartphone app...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:43:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Smartphone app...?

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:52:45 +0000, The Other John wrote:

Smartphone app...?

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

No, not really. There's plenty of established accessibility apps and
tools for smartphones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/14 13:02, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:52:45 +0000, The Other John wrote:

Smartphone app...?

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

No, not really. There's plenty of established accessibility apps and
tools for smartphones.

Looks like I was right in not assuming!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:02:22 +0000, Adrian wrote:

There's plenty of established accessibility apps and tools for
smartphones.

Does that include talking icons? That would be useful for sight
impaired people.

--

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well that depends on whether the voice will work on the app. The Apple ones
are a bit better, but not all use voice over and there is currently a
pressure group trying to make apple make approval only for those that are
usable with voice over.
As for Android, its very hit and miss I understand.
They now have a voice but the accessibility apis are not all the same, open
source do what you like territory!
Brian

Email:

"The Other John" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:43:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Smartphone app...?

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

--

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote
Adrian wrote

Smartphone app...?

Bit difficult for a blind person to use.

Not necessarily, particularly with those which
you can tell it which app to start by voice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't have a smart phone, but if I did I'd most certainly not trust that
any flat part of the phone was calibrated to be level.
Brian

Email:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Smartphone app...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/14 17:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't have a smart phone, but if I did I'd most certainly not trust that
any flat part of the phone was calibrated to be level.

Samsung Galaxys are quite good, being fairly square...

I've actually used mine for measuring rafter angles!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/14 11:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been

Hi Brian,

There's an android app called Power Bubble that does this - I have just
tried it but it only goes "beep" when you are almost bang on level.

However, I bet there might be an app that has a progressive tone.

I honestly do not know if a smartphone is usable by a blind person, but
I'm not going to assume it isn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...
There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been discontinued,
anyone seen anything like that about recently?
I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you tilt it past level.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

As a follow-up to the Kaiser Action Level I've found a purpose
made Audible Spirit Level specifically made for blind users
which costs £32.25

It's described as follows on the emptech website.

While a phone call to any of the 3 suppliers listed, should confirm
whether this item is still available.

or low at each end of the spirit level with option of LED lamps.

Purpose: Developed for those who are blind or have visual difficulties.
It is small and compact with a carry case and is easy to use. Suitable
for use in workshops and for DIY.

Features: Surfaces can be checked on the vertical or horizontal plane.
There is a conventional liquid spirit levels as well as green and red
LED lights plus audible tones if required. No tone is made is the surface
is level but a high tone indicates the left side is too high and a low
for the right side being too high. At one end of the spirit level there
is an screw adjustable ruler with small markings for centimetres or
inches. This ruler can also act as an angle when tightened into place.
The device can be used on rounded objects with a groove at the bottom.
Powered by standard PP3 9v Alkaline battery. Price given for the item
supplied with batteries

Indicative Price: £32.25

(This item may be VAT exempt for qualifying purchasers).

http://www.emptech.info/product_details.php?ID=1539

Three suppliers are given for this product

1

Company: Cobolt Systems Ltd
Web address: http://www.cobolt.co.uk
Address: The Old Mill House, Mill Road Reedham
City / Town: Norwich
County: Norfolk
Post / Zip Code: NR13 3TL
Country: UK
Phone: 01493 700172
Fax: 01493 701037

2

Company: Cragside AccessABILITY Ltd. (AccessABLE World.com)
Web address: http://www.cragside.com/
Address: The Cragside Suite, International House, Cray Avenue
City / Town: Orpington
County: Kent
Post / Zip Code: BR5 3RY
Country: UK
Minicom: 0870 321 7097
Phone: 0870 321 7099
Fax: 0870 3217098

3

Company: IC VISION LTD (SW Retail Ltd)
Web address: http://www.ic-online.co.uk/
Address: PO BOX 4787
County: Sheffield
Post / Zip Code: S35 5BW
Country: UK
Phone: 01226 762513
Fax: 01226 762528

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:56:42 +0100, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been
discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently?
I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you tilt it
past level.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-digi...-dnm-60l/31186

600mm long £114.99

You can (could?) also get a compact standalone level around 200mm long - the
equivalent of the active part of the Bosch supplied unit. Bought mine many
years ago, can't recall the supplier but they were UK based. No idea of a
current supplier.

The audible is single beep as the level passes through zero, repeated beep at
zero. The buttons are easily located by feel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have
been discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently?

There are quite a few smartphone apps that do that now.

Maybe one of those has audio output.

I think the idea is that there are two tones
which toggle as you tilt it past level.

Time for a new spirit level Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 7 June 25th 14 10:37 AM
Audio spirit level source Brian Gaff UK diy 6 July 13th 12 11:08 AM
four lines on a spirit level Dave UK diy 4 April 23rd 10 06:50 PM
What spirit level? dent[_2_] UK diy 14 September 19th 09 06:54 PM
Spirit Levels - was how level is level Jeff[_8_] UK diy 35 April 3rd 08 06:15 PM