Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble driers Gas or Heat pump?

Looks like the next "addition" to chateaux D-I-Y is a washing machine
and a tumble drier...
I normally do the washing at work but a new rental "lodge" means we need
something more convenient to wash/dry sheets etc.

I originally provisioned for a gas tumble drier by getting a 1" pipe
from the gas meter to the boiler but an weighing up the pro's and cons
between gas and heat-pump units...

Most likely stick to Miele for the washer but what's with all this
"cartridge" type cafuffle... it's putting me off already...

TIA as always..

Pete@
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 1:01:44 PM UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Looks like the next "addition" to chateaux D-I-Y is a washing machine
and a tumble drier...

from the gas meter to the boiler but an weighing up the pro's and cons
between gas and heat-pump units...

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

That'd then fill the house with moisture causing mould. (been there done
that when we first bought this house (when it DID have a washing
machine)) It's for weekly bed linen for a rental lodge so duvet covers,
sheets, towels etc on a weekly or twice weekly basis.
Haven't got room for a de-humidifier and drying tent like wot I use at work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

That'd then fill the house with moisture causing mould. (been there done
that when we first bought this house (when it DID have a washing
machine)) It's for weekly bed linen for a rental lodge so duvet covers,
sheets, towels etc on a weekly or twice weekly basis.
Haven't got room for a de-humidifier and drying tent like wot I use at work.

Dehumidifier. Not as fast as a tumble drier but I can get a horse of
clothes dry in about 4-5 hours with a fraction of the energy consumption.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;Ź) wrote:

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

That'd then fill the house with moisture causing mould. (been there done
that when we first bought this house (when it DID have a washing
machine)) It's for weekly bed linen for a rental lodge so duvet covers,
sheets, towels etc on a weekly or twice weekly basis.
Haven't got room for a de-humidifier and drying tent like wot I use at work.

You could go for the dehumidifier option then. It takes less space than a TD. I'm presuming you iron the stuff, so a bit more creasing doesnt matter.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;Ź) wrote:

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

That'd then fill the house with moisture causing mould. (been there done
that when we first bought this house (when it DID have a washing
machine)) It's for weekly bed linen for a rental lodge so duvet covers,
sheets, towels etc on a weekly or twice weekly basis.
Haven't got room for a de-humidifier and drying tent like wot I use at work.

You could go for the dehumidifier option then. It takes less space than a TD. I'm presuming you iron the stuff, so a bit more creasing doesnt matter.

I don't follow. You'd need to set aside a *room* for the clothes to dry.

I don't really follow the objections to a TD. The thrust appears to be
that it's unnecessary because a number of equally effective options are
available.

Might convenience be a variable? It takes about 30 seconds of my time to
dry a load of washing using a TD. And I know many a parent with perhaps
a wash a day who'd gladly trade money for time and convenience.

In my case I accept the 'eco' arguments and a degree of bone idleness.
But I do sit here and wonder about the point of disposable income and
technological advance if you can't use it to make your life a bit easier.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Might convenience be a variable? It takes about 30 seconds of my time to
dry a load of washing using a TD.

With my W/D if I set it to wash and dry, it does so in a single
programme as you'd expect, I'm paying for the convenience.

If it looks worth drying on the line, I set it for wash only, the damned
machine then gets halfway through the program and sits in a rinse-hold,
so when I go downstairs to hang the washing out, I find I have to press
the GO button again, head back upstairs and carry on doing what I was
doing, then next time I happen to go downstairs it's finished, by which
time there's usually a grey cloud looming, it feels like the machine is
punishing me for not using it for drying!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;Ź) wrote:

Just hang the washing up and turn the fan on. Its nearly as quick drying as tumble drying, and doesnt require handling the clothes twice. I think the tumble dryer is a solution to a nonproblem.

That'd then fill the house with moisture causing mould. (been there done
that when we first bought this house (when it DID have a washing
machine)) It's for weekly bed linen for a rental lodge so duvet covers,
sheets, towels etc on a weekly or twice weekly basis.
Haven't got room for a de-humidifier and drying tent like wot I use at work.

You could go for the dehumidifier option then. It takes less space than a TD. I'm presuming you iron the stuff, so a bit more creasing doesnt matter.

I don't follow. You'd need to set aside a *room* for the clothes to dry.

why?

I don't really follow the objections to a TD. The thrust appears to be
that it's unnecessary because a number of equally effective options are
available.
Might convenience be a variable? It takes about 30 seconds of my time to
dry a load of washing using a TD. And I know many a parent with perhaps
a wash a day who'd gladly trade money for time and convenience.
In my case I accept the 'eco' arguments and a degree of bone idleness.
But I do sit here and wonder about the point of disposable income and
technological advance if you can't use it to make your life a bit easier.

The point is its easier to put washed clothes away than it is to put it in the td, then take it out and put it away.
Its also cheaper to run, lower TCO, quieter, takes less space... not a whole lot of downside.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2014 13:01, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Looks like the next "addition" to chateaux D-I-Y is a washing machine
and a tumble drier...

How many chteaux do you have? Wouldn't it be better to have one in each?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2014 21:17, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 12/10/2014 13:01, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
Looks like the next "addition" to chateaux D-I-Y is a washing machine
and a tumble drier...

How many chteaux do you have? Wouldn't it be better to have one in each?

Indeed... That's the point.
I'll still be doing the regular "domestic" washing at work where I have
been drying clothes on a brace of clothes horse with de-humidifier and
bubble=wrap tent for the last 12+ years or so.

I suggested a washer-drier in the new rental lodge to the good lady so
the sheets could be washing and drying while she cleans the rest of the
place but she wants to do it at home for some reason...

Which brings me full circle to gas or heat-pump technology for the
tumble drier.
I'm guessing gas has virtually nothing to go wrong whereas heat-pump has
a compressor etc but other than that can't decide as to which is the
best option.

Not many gas models to choose from either..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 13, 2014 10:05:06 AM UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
I suggested a washer-drier in the new rental lodge to the good lady so
the sheets could be washing and drying while she cleans the rest of the
place but she wants to do it at home for some reason...

A washer/dryer (or a drying cupboard with a dehumidifier) in the rental lodge might be attractive to renters especially if there are outdoor clothes to be dried.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Tim is offline

Our White Knight gas dryer is coming up to 25 years old. It's had two replacement stats and two gas solenoid electromagnets in that time. All very easy to replace without touching any gas connections.

Other than that, just the occasional vacuum out when I'm feeling keen.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2014 17:07, Tim wrote:

Our White Knight gas dryer is coming up to 25 years old. It's had two replacement stats and two gas solenoid electromagnets in that time. All very easy to replace without touching any gas connections.

Other than that, just the occasional vacuum out when I'm feeling keen.

Brilliant.
Thanks for that Tim.

Tumble driers Doki UK diy 17 September 10th 08 12:38 AM
tumble driers - wet or dry? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 4 April 16th 07 01:52 PM
Combination washing machines + tumble driers Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 November 13th 06 10:32 AM
Gas tumble-driers, anyone? Lobster UK diy 15 December 7th 04 12:51 AM
Condensing Tumble Driers Mick UK diy 39 October 14th 03 12:18 AM